Chrome Window Trim Stains

neonarc

I just bought a 2013 Edge with chrome window sills trim from factory. Trouble is they are stained. I wanted to ask what the chrome is made of and can I use some chrome or wheel polish to remove the stains. The stains are like darkened spots of something that dripped down from the windows. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

Do they look like acid etching? Acid rain is really bad here in Northern Indiana because of the steel mills over near Gary. Once etched, very difficult to remove.

Try chrome polish. I've used bug and tar remover with good results.

If it looks like rust stains, try Bar Keepers Friend.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

Here are some pictures of the stains. Even though I took them with my phone this is how the stains look in person. Looks like a chemical dripped down from windows. The manual says to use "Motorcraft Custom Bright Metal Cleaner" for exterior chrome. I guess I'll try a Chrome cleaner on a small corner spot of the trim to see if it works. Any ideas?

gallery_39745_725_927989.jpggallery_39745_725_446853.jpggallery_39745_725_719439.jpggallery_39745_725_719255.jpg

I used a microfiber cloth and mothers chrome polish. It definitely removed the darkness of the stains but not the stains themselves. In this pics you can see the difference, although in person the stains are still noticeable, just much lighter.

Appearance improves after a second pass. Im going to try a very small pad on a drill on slow speed to see if that helps remove them better. I may also drop by autozone and see if they have something better for chrome.

There was no black residue on the cloth which I read happens on SS, so I'm guessing this is actual chrome or anodized aluminum. Any thoughts?

gallery_39745_725_616621.jpggallery_39745_725_269838.jpg

Edited by neonarc

Well I got the stains removed at the local car wash detail place. They used some sort of rubbing compound gel that removed the stains by hand pretty easily. I couldnt get a look at the bottle label. Once home I went over them with the chrome polisher and scratch/swirl remover. They look very good now.

Anyone know how to remove scratches from the black center console? I tried the scratch/swirl remover but it only removed the very small ones.

• Like 1