Jet Performance Chips

You can't "chip" modern Fords any more - you need to reflash the PCM with a custom tune. SCT is one tuner that many have used and there are many sources for tunes. Essentially it just advances the timing requiring 93 octane for max performance. Some tunes may or may not change throttle response and shifting.

If you see a chip today for a Ford it's probably just a resistor being added to the IAT and they don't work.

They probably do SOMETHING, just not something you'd be happy with longterm, I think. There are a lot of devices out there that do specifically one thing or another to the parameters used by the ECU/PCM. But a tune built for your vehicle by a professional will still yield the best results because ALL the parameters have been addressed to work cohesively. And for the 3.5, improved shift strategies is really where the most gains lie, some in improved mpg, a little in power/torque. This is because of the limitations of the 6F50 trans, and the tendency of most people to set & forget maintenance intervals. If you drive your vehicle hard, you should shorten the intervals correspondingly, or expect parts to fail.

I guess I am just curious as to why a plug and play chip is still being produced if they do nothing.

Because some people are still buying them. They're dirt cheap to make - it's just an electrical resistor - so they don't have to sell many to make a profit.

If you're curious.....

https://www.google.com/?gfe_rd=ssl&ei=CcrMVtehMYqo-gWAiKm4DQ#q=IAT+resistor+scam

• 2 years later...