Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

2.0 L EcoBoost or 3.5 L v6

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,489 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:48 PM

Turbo's starting to fail now and are not available for replacement and very pricey to replace.  Recent info I read stated the life of the Turbos is expected to be 150,000 miles.  Second hand owners might want to consider this.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and PaulSchott like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,021 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:26 AM

A Ford Protect plan is invaluable for nused EB owners.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W, 30 December 2016 - 08:27 AM.

• macbwt, PaulSchott and like this

#23 OFFLINE   2011edgese

2011edgese

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:45 PM

My input. Had a 2011 v6 no turbo for almost 5yrs. Traded it in for 2015 2.0 ecoboost. Miss the deeper sound of the v6.[:(]. But like the slight wistle turbo sound when you drive by a wall that sound reflects off. Now.. my observations. V6 is VERY responsive on the throttle, but always found it not so impressive over passing cars at 65mph and above. Seems like not a 285hp engine, im guessing its the weight? 2.0 ecoboost is opposite. Not responssive at take off, very sluggish for my taste but once its going, its very peppy. And feels a bit stronger at over passing. Thats my observations.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#24 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,967 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:59 PM

My observation is the exact opposite. The 2.0LEB is quick off the line but runs out of steam around 6K rpm. The 3.7NA is a dog off the line but comes alive around 4K rpm.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W and chefduane like this

#25 OFFLINE   lildisco

lildisco

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 235 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:31 PM

Leaving it in Drive kills the responsiveness of the 2.0. If i need to get some pep off the line or pass someone, I'll throw it into Sport Mode. Once i get up to speed, I'll put it back into Drive. Leaving it in Drive is supposed to optimize fuel economy, so some performance is lost because of this.

#26 OFFLINE   2011edgese

2011edgese

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

Oh! Havent tried that. Always though S was for the shifter padel in which do feel more responssive. Ill give it a try.

#27 OFFLINE   lildisco

lildisco

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:51 PM

My observation is the exact opposite. The 2.0LEB is quick off the line but runs out of steam around 6K rpm. The 3.7NA is a dog off the line but comes alive around 4K rpm.

The turbo in the 2.0 is quick spooling & comes alive around 2K (i believe it reaches full boost around 2K), but it's gasping for air around 5.5-6K. Gives you the grunt you need to get going, but it's not a high revving performance engine. As long as you know this, passing/every day driving is pretty simple. Know your vehicles strengths weaknesses ;)

#28 OFFLINE   lildisco

lildisco

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

Oh! Havent tried that. Always though S was for the shifter padel in which do feel more responssive. Ill give it a try.

Paddles work both in Drive & in Sport Mode

#29 OFFLINE   Tightanium

Tightanium

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:43 PM

I have 3.5 EB, 2.0 EB and 3.5 N/A.. I agree the EB's are quick and powerful up to around 80 mph..Passing cars is a breeze. The 3.5 N/A just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. It's not slow, it runs strong and runs well. My opinion that's the engine that's going to last the longest.

#30 OFFLINE   chefduane

chefduane

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 501 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:53 PM

My experience is the same as AK's.  My 3.5 is a bit slow off the line but I have no problems accelerating from higher RPMs.  As long as you stay in front of the power curve, the 3.5 is very responsive in all rpm bands except lower rpms.  I have never tried the manual shift mode off the line so maybe that might help.

#31 OFFLINE   2011edgese

2011edgese

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:56 PM

Geez.. wondering if I got spoiled with tue regular 3.5 v6 no ecoboost. Seems like if i stop on the gas from stand still, theres like almost half a aecond delay before it moves. Anyone else noticed this? I will try putting it on S just out of curiosity.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W and PaulSchott like this

#32 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,967 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:36 AM

Using S won't get it off the line any faster or make it any faster on a WOT 0-60 run.  It does help while moving in that it holds a lower gear in some cases keeping rpm higher.    As lidisco points out you can use the paddles to downshift in preparation for passing even in D mode.   It downshifts temporarily then returns to full automatic mode.    Once you're in S mode it will shift automatically until you use the paddles, then it's manual shifts until you go back to D.   I use S a lot when driving in hilly terrain at lower speeds.

#33 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,967 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

Geez.. wondering if I got spoiled with tue regular 3.5 v6 no ecoboost. Seems like if i stop on the gas from stand still, theres like almost half a aecond delay before it moves. Anyone else noticed this? I will try putting it on S just out of curiosity.

That delay is usually the electronic throttle control.  They program it that way for smoother response for all the non-hooligan drivers like my wife.   For us hooligans it can be frustrating.   I believe there are tunes that can eliminate or shorten it as well as add-on devices.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and macbwt like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users