2.0 L EcoBoost or 3.5 L v6

Brian Bettencourt

My observation is the exact opposite. The 2.0LEB is quick off the line but runs out of steam around 6K rpm. The 3.7NA is a dog off the line but comes alive around 4K rpm.

The turbo in the 2.0 is quick spooling & comes alive around 2K (i believe it reaches full boost around 2K), but it's gasping for air around 5.5-6K. Gives you the grunt you need to get going, but it's not a high revving performance engine. As long as you know this, passing/every day driving is pretty simple. Know your vehicles strengths weaknesses ;)

• Like 1

My observation is the exact opposite. The 2.0LEB is quick off the line but runs out of steam around 6K rpm. The 3.7NA is a dog off the line but comes alive around 4K rpm.

I have 3.5 EB, 2.0 EB and 3.5 N/A.. I agree the EB's are quick and powerful up to around 80 mph..Passing cars is a breeze. The 3.5 N/A just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. It's not slow, it runs strong and runs well. My opinion that's the engine that's going to last the longest.

• Like 1

My experience is the same as AK's. My 3.5 is a bit slow off the line but I have no problems accelerating from higher RPMs. As long as you stay in front of the power curve, the 3.5 is very responsive in all rpm bands except lower rpms. I have never tried the manual shift mode off the line so maybe that might help.

• Like 1

Using S won't get it off the line any faster or make it any faster on a WOT 0-60 run. It does help while moving in that it holds a lower gear in some cases keeping rpm higher. As lidisco points out you can use the paddles to downshift in preparation for passing even in D mode. It downshifts temporarily then returns to full automatic mode. Once you're in S mode it will shift automatically until you use the paddles, then it's manual shifts until you go back to D. I use S a lot when driving in hilly terrain at lower speeds.

• Like 1

Geez.. wondering if I got spoiled with tue regular 3.5 v6 no ecoboost. Seems like if i stop on the gas from stand still, theres like almost half a aecond delay before it moves. Anyone else noticed this? I will try putting it on S just out of curiosity.

That delay is usually the electronic throttle control. They program it that way for smoother response for all the non-hooligan drivers like my wife. For us hooligans it can be frustrating. I believe there are tunes that can eliminate or shorten it as well as add-on devices.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I'm obviously coming into this discussion very late, but for those whom this is pertinent, I can offer my two cents worth, based on personal experience.

I own a 2015 Titanium with the 2.0 EcoBoost, and my sister bout a 2016 Titanium with the 3.5.

The 2.0 in mine provides an amazing amount of power for a four cylinder engine. Even though I knew it was turbocharged, I was still surprised by the performance it gave me. I've made numerous drives between Los Angeles and Phoenix, and can run for hours on end, at 80+, without the slightest problem. If I need to accelerate, I push the loud pedal and there's plenty of power. At 80+ MPH, the fuel mileage isn't anything to write home about, but 24+ MPG is nothing to sneeze at either.

The Edge Titanium is quiet, smooth and after 6-7 hours on the road, I don't climb out, feeling like I've been trapped in a 55 gallon oil drum.

My only "complaint", if it could be called that, is the 2.0 clatters like an old John Deere tractor at idle. Apparently it's the result of the direct Injection system... Oh well. I don't notice any clatter from my sister's 3.5.

As for my sister's 3.5, everything about it, as far as ride etc, is virtually identical to my 2.0, with the exception of performance. It's not bad, but it is different. While the 2.0 in my Edge feels "peaky", the 3.5 feels smoother in its power delivery. It seems to have a bit better low end punch at part throttle, but my 2.0 will run away from hers, if I stick my foot into it.

I have noticed, when I start pulling hills in my 2.0, the trans downshifts more quickly than my sister's. This spools the turbos up, and fuel mileage drops like a rock.

Overall, I think if I drove mine, then hers, from L.A. to Phoenix and back, I'd be very happy with either one. Both are exceptionally comfortable and quiet, and get the job done with little to no fuss.

I'm due for a new ride soon...my current car is 12 years old... and I'm seriously looking at the Edge Sport, or perhaps waiting for the Edge ST, if that ever actually happens.

• Like 1

I picked the 3.5 because of the reliability. I did test drive a 2.0 EB and just felt the power was not impressive above 65 mph. Im no stranger to the EB. I have one in my F150. So I know the turbo advantage. The only way you get great MPG Is you have to be mindful of how you drive. Drive like a grandpa and the mpg is good. I get 25 to 26 mpg in my Edge V6. One thing I dont like about the Edge is it sure downshifts a lot to keep the power up. Anyway Ill go for reliability over maybe someone saying my car is faster then yours.

Edited by Tightanium

Reliability?

<cough> water pump <cough>

I’m well aware of the pump issues and even the ptu problems. I think every brand of cars and trucks have at least one know problem. I maintain my vehicles really good. Changing fluids often I hope will help those issues. Heck my F150 EB Has lots of complaints. Blown engines , bad timing chains, valve coking, IWE Issues, transmission suddenly dropping down from 6 th gear to second on the freeways and brake problems. So far I haven’t had any of these problems. It really sucks every time I start my truck thinking is today the day I get some issues? I don’t feel that way with the Edge. Honestly because of my truck is why I was staying away from another DI EB motor. I’ve had 7 awesome Ford cars and trucks all have been trouble free. Hope my luck continues. That’s a bad cough you got there. They got medicine for that. LOL.
  • Like 1

Quickly lost our 2011 Explorer 3.5 due to a water pump failure. No visible leaks, no coolant showing in the oil 1 week prior....just 1 day, all went to heck. Now my wife is driving a 2018 Edge SEL 2.0.

I don't know if it is just that the Edge is smaller than the Explorer, but the 2.0 seems to have more "seat of the pants" power. Although neither compare to my 2016 Explorer Sport :drool:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oil testing will show coolant in the oil long before complete failure. The water pump does not just suddenly fail in most cases. It fails slowly and some folks are finding the issue before it fails by testing the oil. So far engines are being saved by testing the oil .

• Like 1