K&N Air Filter For 2016 Sport??

bmwta

K&N does not list a performance air filter for the 2016 2.7 Edge Sport motor but does on the 2015. I called them and they said they don't have approval yet to release it. Anyone with a 2016 install the 2015 version without trouble?

Edited by bmwta

I assume the two years would be the same from K&N but who knows what they have to do to sell products and meet government guidelines, etc.

That K&N CAI set-up you showed looks killer. I sent Vaccar an email requesting info on whether they will offer it for sale. I'll share whatever they can provide.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just made my own Duel K&N intake I can make one for you. No cutting or permanent modifications. Can be put back to stock. Just a couple nut drivers and 5 min to install, super easy. Includes sensor, filters and clamps.

attachicon.gifXTRA EDGE SPORT K&N INTAKE .jpg

That intake pulls hot under-hood air, and uses oiled filters. Both are No-No's. Bare minimum it needs a plate to separate from the engine heat that at least tries to seal to the hood.

Add filter socks to the above, and you should be golden.

How would that help? That would just restrict air more.... Still pulling hot air through an oiled media on a turbo motor. Both bad, and completely negate the advantage of better flow.

If it flows better, but the air is hotter, it can actually decrease performance. Then factor in the oiled media. I would be willing to put money down, that after a 1000 miles, you could wipe oil/grease off the inside of the intake tubes.

Now I do believe the stock airbox is a restriction on performance especially if you are tuned on the Edge. Turbo Motors respond more to a better flowing intake, than a NA motor. Some people have said they saw no improvement, but again, they had a NA motor, not turbo.

Edited by Ray Heath Jr

The filter sock doesn't really impeded flow to any significant degree. It is there to keep the filter from getting soiled easily, all the more important in an open box configuration. Functional AND eye candy.

We can agree to disagree. Any additional filtration, will decrease air flow over not having it. Is it enough to matter, not sure. Still, my other points are the important ones, Hot air, because of no separation, and oiled filter.

The filters sit in the bottom of the original air box. Fresh cool outside air is still feeding them and they are not getting all the air from under the hood. As for oil type filters I have run K&N for thousands of miles in my Explorer and the filter is very close to the hot wire in the intake . No oil build up of any kind or any other problems. I believe that when people clean their K&N filters, some over oil them causing the problems you speak of. On the Edge the filters are far away from the hot wire and the turbos. The intake air is compressed in the turbos ( heating it up ) and run to a heat exchanger to control the intake charge temp.

• Like 2

I run an AFE DryFlo filter so I get increased airflow and no oiled media to foul the intake or MAF. And its cleanable and reusable. I am one of those that agree that a CAI setup is eyecandy mostly and provides marginal performance increases for the $$ spent. Yeah, you're faster than me but I don't care that you go 0-60 in 6.5 I only get there in 7.6. Meh. Your quarter is 15.3s @ 90 mph and I'm at 16.8s. Okay. But if you gotta' have it, go for it. The Edge ain't a hotrod and I ain't here to race. Now where's my cane? Peace out.

• Like 2

If I had the guts I would cut a hole in the hood, add a small scoop and seal the intake box to it . But as you say the Edge is not a race car. So I will run it as is. There have been no oil problems, no intake temp problems, and I don't expect any . This information is through use, not by something I saw someplace. By the way mine runs 5.6sec 0 to 60 . Perhaps a bit faster but I'm not talking about those mods yet, and I love the eye candy and hand fabrication aspects of it. Bench racing is fun as well.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

The filters sit in the bottom of the original air box. Fresh cool outside air is still feeding them and they are not getting all the air from under the hood. As for oil type filters I have run K&N for thousands of miles in my Explorer and the filter is very close to the hot wire in the intake . No oil build up of any kind or any other problems. I believe that when people clean their K&N filters, some over oil them causing the problems you speak of. On the Edge the filters are far away from the hot wire and the turbos. The intake air is compressed in the turbos ( heating it up ) and run to a heat exchanger to control the intake charge temp.

Totally agree on the over oiled part, but it is SO easy to do it. Is your Explorer an EcoBoost, or the NA motor. Big difference between the pressure a Turbo motor can generate and a NA motor.

Saying just because the Turbo compresses the air, that the intake temp doesn't matter, is complete and total BS. If that was true, then our motors would have the same performance not matter the ambient air temp, and that is not true. If you start with cooler air, you end up with cooler air. Open your engine bay after a short drive, and use a non contact to read the surface temp of you intake plate, and the air filters. You will not be happy with what you see. Heat soak of your setup would negate any gains by the better flow of the filters. Sorry, I like the looks and appreciate the build skills, but it is not helping your performance.

I did a similar setup but the engine bay does get really hot and I found that the intake was sucking in hot air so I want back to the drawing board and constructed a full enclosure that seperates the incoming air from the hot air.

This right here...Got any pictures?

Never said intake air temp does not matter, and you completely disregard that some of the air is coming from the stock air intake. Not all the air is from under the hood. So far I cant tell the difference between the two , performance or milage difference. So far the only difference I can tell is the eye candy aspect of it . And if it does nothing more than that I am a happy camper. Time will tell as I have not even one tank of gas with it.

Totally agree on the over oiled part, but it is SO easy to do it. Is your Explorer an EcoBoost, or the NA motor. Big difference between the pressure a Turbo motor can generate and a NA motor.

Saying just because the Turbo compresses the air, that the intake temp doesn't matter, is complete and total BS. If that was true, then our motors would have the same performance not matter the ambient air temp, and that is not true. If you start with cooler air, you end up with cooler air. Open your engine bay after a short drive, and use a non contact to read the surface temp of you intake plate, and the air filters. You will not be happy with what you see. Heat soak of your setup would negate any gains by the better flow of the filters. Sorry, I like the looks and appreciate the build skills, but it is not helping your performance.

This right here...Got any pictures?

post-43877-0-26383200-1493327665_thumb.jpg

post-43877-0-68085400-1493327666_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Never said intake air temp does not matter, and you completely disregard that some of the air is coming from the stock air intake. Not all the air is from under the hood. So far I cant tell the difference between the two , performance or milage difference. So far the only difference I can tell is the eye candy aspect of it . And if it does nothing more than that I am a happy camper. Time will tell as I have not even one tank of gas with it.

Sorry, but you definitely implied it in your statement about the heat exchanger. It Cools the air more regardless of whether it starts cool, warm, or hot. It in no way decreases the improvement gained by cooler intake air. Hence why turbo motors respond so well to the additional cooling that water injection can give.

I appreciate the eye candy part, and like I said, looks good.

My main point, regardless of being above where the factory box pulls air, you are still pulling HOT under hood air, and after a few minutes the whole assembly would be hot from the underhood heat on these motors. You can feel the heat coming out when you walk beside the front of the car in shorts after you park, even on a hot day. This little motor in that tight space with it's hot little turbos, generates some serious heat. My concern is that you are actually decreasing performance. Are you monitoring IAT? My guess is that after a bit you are pulling in 100+ Intake air.

Hello Ray . I thought you deserve this update. Up until now I have only used the filters on short errands . The intake did feel as though there was a positive effect and a small increase in performance. Yesterday I had the chance to run the wheels off the car for 150 miles or so of mixed type driving. What i discovered is that when everything became heat soaked performance did drop off.. a lot. I have removed the unit and returned to stock for now. You were correct about that . I will keep the unit if I ever get to drag race the car at a track where heat build up will not be a problem. As for everyday on the street I will run the stock filter set up.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Hello Ray . I thought you deserve this update. Up until now I have only used the filters on short errands . The intake did feel as though there was a positive effect and a small increase in performance. Yesterday I had the chance to run the whees off the car for 150 miles or so of mixed type driving. What i discovered is that when everything became heat soaked performance did drop off.. a lot. I have removed the unit and returned to stock for now. You were correct about that . I will keep the unit if I ever get to drag race the car at a track where heat build up will not be a problem. As for everyday on the street I will run the stock filter set up.

Thanks for the update. As I am sure you saw in the other thread, Our factory intake seems to also leave a lot to be desired, and is more of a "Warm Air" intake. Nick saw additional intake heat, but not too much by the seat of the pants. So I would love to see Data logging on your car. Again, thanks for the update.

• 4 months later...