Question for those with LMS (Livernois) tune

bmwta

1) Any issues with the "check engine" light coming on at any time?

2) Has the 3rd to 4th gear shift lag at full throttle improved over time?
3) If I wanted to add a K&N filter, would LMS need to know about it to adjust their tuning or will it adjust automatically?

The filter will not change much as it is still the same piping it is pulling air through and that would be the limiting factor and a CAI is not needed unless you are planning to swap turbos and crank the boost up but then you will need more than a of the shelf tune.

Edited by luminator

• 1 month later...

Throttle response is good especially in Sport mode as it seems it keeps tranny operating in 5 gears so it's always 1 gear lower than normal, lots of power all the time. End result is 15mpg but I prefer to count the smiles per gallon.

Another question I have is that if an updated pcm firmware update is rolled out, will livernois apply the factory patch and send out updated tunes? This concern is what is drawing my attention to the JMS Boostmax product. It doesn't make the same power, but will maintain compatibility for future software updates from Ford.

You should always revert to stock (tune/MAP sensor/etc) prior to a dealer visit, you never know when they will flash the PCM. So check the strategy code before and after. If the strategy code has changed, notify your tuner and they will send out (or provide access to on a server, as with Livernois) updated tunes (usually free).

A tune is the proper way to address a modern vehicle's performance capabilities.

• Like 1

Easy, actually. Comes with instructions but here are the basics.

Buy the tuner, plug it into the car port under steering wheel, goes in only one way. Turn power on to car without starting engine and read the codes LMS requires. Send the codes in with the email telling them what tunes u want, 87, 91, 93, towing. Once tune is ready you install their software on your PC, connect tuner to PC with USB and hit update. Wait 10-15, disconnect when done, go back to car, plug it in, accessory power mode and 2-4 clicks to choose what tune you want installed and then u wait for it to finish.

Fairly painless and you can try multiple level tunes if you so wish.

Or you can call up LMS and have them hold your hand.

Good time to check battery voltage from the tuner's setup menu also. Although the '15s are too young to have weak batteries, best to check anyway when you are pulling the strategy code to send to LME.

Also advise you to not update the tune late on Friday or the weekend, so you can have rapid support should you need it. People get excited (rightly so) to install as soon as they can ...

If an upgraded MAP sensor is part of what you are installing, install only after the tune is uploaded to the Edge, and BEFORE you restart the engine. Not a big deal, but makes for a smoother experience.

• 2 months later...

1) Any issues with the "check engine" light coming on at any time?

2) Has the 3rd to 4th gear shift lag at full throttle improved over time?

3) If I wanted to add a K&N filter, would LMS need to know about it to adjust their tuning or will it adjust automatically?

Yes. I had the check engine light come on when I started my truck this morning. Drove to work and then straight home, about 6 miles. I didn't notice any performance issues but I also didn't push it.

When I got home, I pulled the codes - P0607 (Powertrain, computer and auxiliary output circuits, control module performance) and U3000 (Network communications, air/fuel metering, auxiliary emission control). I called Anthony at LMS and he said he's never heard of this. He recommended I flash back to stock and leave that way for a week or so and monitor for any codes on the stock tune. He said it could be a faulty PCM and although not a common problem, it happened on a friend's EB 3.5 F150.

• 2 months later...

Probably a fairly obvious answer to an uninformed question... does the LMS blow the 70k/7yr warranty I bought? Assuming so, if I blow a gasket or (god forbid) tranny can I a) flash it back to stock while assuming engine warnings are at def con 1 and b ) can ford tell the chip has been flashed?

16 edge sport awd with basically all options @5k miles.

Thanks!

Edited by tp16sport

Livernois works very closely with Ford, and I doubt they will put anything in a tune that would jeopardize the warranty. They will tell you the expected maintenance to go with the tune. IF they step outside these parameters, most certainly you will be signing some sort of release clause paperwork at the same time. They are a big shop and don't want their reputation tarnished.

• Like 1