Anyone Replace Their Sony Speakers?

Just picked up my 15 Edge Sport. There are many nice features, unfortunately the Sony 12 speaker system is not among them. The system seems to have enough power and low end, but the highs suck. First on the to do list, replace the door speakers. I pulled the passenger door panel and identified components, 6.5" mid and 1" tweeter. I have ordered a set of Focals that I think will improve the sound significantly. Of course, I will post results.

Has anyone else been down this road? Care to share experiences? Eventually, I will replace all speakers, but it is tough to justify that cost to the wife considering it is a brand new car.

HappyHourSport has done a couple of nice write-ups on some 2015 audio upgrades.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/19493-completed-custom-subwooferampspeaker-install-with-pics-and-diagrams-for-2015-sport-lots-of-pics/

I think he ended up putting some 6.5 Focals in the fronts. From what I remember the 6.5 mids went in fine but the tweeter was a tricky fit in the stock location. I have a set of focal PS165's from my old car/install that I'm looking to put in the Edge, so look forward to seeing your results.

Technically they're 5x7/6x8 just like every other Ford for the last 20+ years. But 5.25s and 6.5 components usually fit. Crutchfield will show you what fits or doesn't fit.

I think that actually changed for the 2015+ to standard 6.5 all the way around (at least for the Sony system, not sure on the other OEM systems)

Check HappyHourSport's thread for pics and description

Edited by redlancer

I already checked out his thread and was very informative. I looked up the speakers on the Ford Parts with my VIN and they are all round. just don't know if they are 5.25 and 6.5's. But going on Happy's thread, I am going to assume they are 6.5's. I just wanted some confirmation before I ordered the speakers.

Edited by capt.dru

Update...the Focal tweeters do not fit (OD 1.86"). I happened to have some Diamond Audio aluminum tweeters laying around from a previous vehicle. They fit fine (OD 1.73"), but I am reminded of why they were just laying around. They are too bright. Still, it has vastly improved the clarity over the stock tweets. I am hoping to return the Focals for a set with smaller tweeters and will almost certainly go with silk. I still have the mid turned way down which seems to be the only way to clean up the sound until I replace the mids. The goal would be to having everything sounding good set flat.

Thanks, keep us updated. I am really interested in how the Focal Tweeters will fit the factory location and what you do to make them fit.

I was VERY tempted to cut them in from the front, and I think it would look pretty good, but cannot justify doing that to a $40K+ car I have had less than a week. The shroud at the face of the tweeter is the issue. I think it would fit just fine without it. May be a job for the Dremel...

I was VERY tempted to cut them in from the front, and I think it would look pretty good, but cannot justify doing that to a $40K+ car I have had less than a week. The shroud at the face of the tweeter is the issue. I think it would fit just fine without it. May be a job for the Dremel...

Which Focals did you get? Would you dremel the tweeter or the tweeter location? Is it possible to dremel out the location and make the opening wider? I don't want to make any holes in the front either. I went to go hear some speakers today and none of them compared to the Focals. I am going to get the 165's in the Access series. I had those in my Honda Civic before it was totaled and I couldn't get them out. I was pissed.

Which Focals did you get? Would you dremel the tweeter or the tweeter location? Is it possible to dremel out the location and make the opening wider? I don't want to make any holes in the front either. I went to go hear some speakers today and none of them compared to the Focals. I am going to get the 165's in the Access series. I had those in my Honda Civic before it was totaled and I couldn't get them out. I was pissed.

Focal IS-165 from Woofersetc.com. I would hate to Dremel either really. The tweeter is set in a trim ring that wont be easy to trim down. It looks like you could grind out the inside of the mount in the door easily enough, if you don't mind doing that. I will have to pull the door panel again and hit it with my caliper to see what the potential is.

Update - Focal mids are installed. Used this for reference:

It is for a Focus, but the stereo is very similar. I have replaced the front tweeters and mids only and the difference is remarkable. Can't wait to get another set and replace the rear doors as well. Now we just need JL to release a new stealthbox.

I will post a full write up with pics soon.

• Like 1

Focal IS-165 from Woofersetc.com. I would hate to Dremel either really. The tweeter is set in a trim ring that wont be easy to trim down. It looks like you could grind out the inside of the mount in the door easily enough, if you don't mind doing that. I will have to pull the door panel again and hit it with my caliper to see what the potential is.

Dremel away bill, it is worth it.

The Focals tweets are worth it. If you just drill out the center of the factory "grill" then use a drum sander attachment to make it flush to the tweeter hole, you are good to go. Looks perfect. I used bit of foam seal tape around the tweeter housing to make it snug, then a couple small bridges of epoxy to secure it from the back

• Like 1

Ok, here is the latest. Ordered another set of Focals. This time opted for the Performance 165AS. Tweeters have a removable cover and snapped right in to the stock location. I moved my Integration series to the rears (mids only...not sure if I will cut in the tweets yet). Happily, the muddiness and lack of clarity is gone. Bass is still solid, mids and highs are GREATLY improved. My go to system test is old school Rush (pre 1985). Neil Peart's various array of bells, chimes, gongs, roto toms, etc. now sound fantastic. Highs are crisp. Alex Lifeson solos shred although Geddy Lee high notes can be a bit too shrill. I was also able to play a little bit of some other music and noticed the highs may be a bit too bright..nothing the crossovers won't be able to fix.

I did not install the crossovers, so the Focals are currently running at whatever frequencies are coming from the Sony amp. According to the amp diagram the fronts are run "active" so the frequency filters should be built in. My plan is to install the crossovers under the load floor near the amp. This will allow for simpler wiring and access to change the tweeter attenuation. The rears are off of one channel, but the Focal Integration series has simple crossovers built in to the mids and tweets so I will more than likely leave those as is.

I took plenty of pics. I will do a more detailed write up once the crossovers are installed. All in all I am very satisfied with this upgrade.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...