Location of VSS Box on 2013 SEL w/Liftgate

So I have searched and read quite a few posts regarding adding the plug-n-play remote start....and according to most of them, they say that if i have the liftgate pre-installed, then all i need is the hood switch, fobs, and antenna......but I cant for the life of me find this VSS box....iv looked under the dash....rear panel....(since according to fords Etis website it was built mid-August of 2012) figured id find it there, but nothing except park assist box, and the control box for the lift gate.. .....found the tpms box, folowed the wire but then it goes into a wad of wies with electrical tape going to the liftgate control module...

So is there anywhere else this box could be....or do I have an odd ball edge with liftgate, but no remote box.

post-40406-0-86471500-1459617023_thumb.jpg

Edited by OneAn9ryN00b

I pulled this from another post in the this forum. If I'm not mistaken, the speed sensor connects to the transmission (but I've never really looked for it).

"In the Edge, you can find this wire coming from the PCM (Powertrain Control Module), which is under the hood on the passenger side of the engine. It is the purple/orange wire."

It's one of two places:

1. Rear LH quarter panel tied into the TPMS system

2. Up front on top of the BCM module (under the steering wheel). You should see a Y cable coming off the OBDII connector and the VSS will be connected to the Y cable.

Edited by candurin
  • Like 1

It's one of two places:

1. Rear LH quarter panel tied into the TPMS system

2. Up front on top of the BCM module (under the steering wheel). You should see a Y cable coming off the OBDII connector and the VSS will be connected to the Y cable.

Nothing....the box that's in the pic is the park assist module....according the the part number on the opposite side. I did check the front, and the OBDII wires just go to a wad of wires wraped in electrical tape.

It is possible that one is not installed in your edge (or it's installed in a location that is not noticeable).

Have you tested to verify one is installed?

You can test it by rolling down the front window with the doors closed, then use your fob to lock the doors from outside. Then reach in through the window and open the door without unlocking it. If you have an alarm that will trigger it.

I do know that many sites claim the VSS is included in the power liftgate versions of the edge, but, I also know that many changes were made to the MY 2013 edge concerning the remote start and vehicle security.

Are you ultimately looking for key fob, long range or remote access remote start for your edge?

Thanks for the tip. I just tried it, and no alarm.....so I'm going to take it that I don't have the security box.

I looking at the all in one fob....so I think just the short range....eventually I would possibly like the remote access....but if it's twice as much as the plain key fob then I may hold off, and see how we do with just the fob.

Edited by OneAn9ryN00b

Here would be the "cheapest" way to get everything you would want (remote cell access + 100 series remote start via key fobs):

Remote cell access kit (includes VSS + RMU): http://www.ebay.com/itm/351691301806- for $200 (and $40/year) you're all set with remote start. You use your cell phone as the "fob" with unlimited range. Your dealership needs to activate it at $50-100 (.5-1 hour of labor, this cost is the same for ANY remote start version you need activated via IDS).

The cost of this remote cell kit is about $40 (less with shipping) more than just purchasing the VSS alone ($157 from Levittown). You get much better value for your $ and you can add cellular features at any time (I also like the additional resale value).

You need the Hood switch: BT4Z-19G366-A and aerial antenna: DA8Z-15603-A (aerial antenna is not needed for cell phone remote access, it's only needed if you want to start your car from your key fob). You can use Levittown ford or eBay for best price.

Lastly, you can add non-oem key fobs should you decide to use key fob for remote start (my non-oem have been working perfectly for well over a year): http://www.ebay.com/itm/351304921041

You can then do the entire installation at the rear of the car.

Hope this all makes sense and helps.

Edited by candurin