Gas Cap Opening on 2016 Edge

ionsys

I just bought this car last week---At the gas station I opened the gas hood by pressing in on it and it opened--fine--after filling, I then was about to close the lid but a small little black coil fell out on the ground, which I picked up and re inserted in where I thought it must have come from and only then closed the lid---but my wife thinks the little black coil doesn't belong there and thought we should throw it away and then close the lid and then try and reopen again by pressing in---I'm concerned that if we did that the lid might not re open ! My wife doubts that would happen---Any ideas?

Looks like a bump-stop to me ...

The fuel door on newer Fords, including the 2015+ Edge, open by "pushing the door in" so it comes out, unlike the order ones that have a lip to pull the door open. So I'd guess this piece is for the mechanism that allows the door to "push" in & out.

• Like 1

the little rubber encapsulated screw needed to be re-inserted going IN towards the tank, not OUT from the tip where I had guessed--I saw that upon going to a Ford dealership early this morning and opening the caps on 2 new Edges----So I re-inserted mine as appropriate and it kept pointing up as the dealership Edges were----BUT--my question remains---the next time I fill up and extricate the nozzle and it happens to brush against that little rubber encapsulated screw and knock it loose--easy to do--and the thing falls on the ground and is lost---will we be able to still close the door and the press in on it to re open it ???