2015-16 rear bumper cover wear

I can tell early on that the top portion of our bumper cover is going to be tough to keep scratch free. Dogs, material, & life will take its toll, so the question becomes: What can be done to prevent undue wear & tear on this part? I wish Ford had thought about an attached rubber tread cover over the top portion of the rear bumper cover on this vehicle.(though maybe it can't handle being stepped on?) I am aware there is a mat that covers it when the back hatch is open, but I want something that is permanent. I may get mine covered with a 3M film or similar product. Anyone else got any ideas?

Edited by Chipster
  • Like 1

I installed a Scion xb bumper cover on my 2012 model two or three years ago and have been very happy with it. It wasn't a 100% perfect fit, but most people would never notice the slight gap at either end. If you use the search function on this site and look for "Scion xb" there will be a lot of comments with sources. I have no idea if it will fit a 2016 model Edge. One could always purchase it, check the fit and then return it if it isn't good to go.

I can tell early on that the top portion of our bumper cover is going to be tough to keep scratch free. Dogs, material, & life will take its toll, so the question becomes: What can be done to prevent undue wear & tear on this part?

The protector on my 09 MKX was put on when new and still looks good. (It has had the usual wear and has only a couple of small scratches, hardly noticeable unless your looking really close).

In a few years every car will look older and normal wear really will not stand out appreciably.

Suppose you could use a good paste wax to help it resist scratches.

I came up with a temp. solution. I took a folded towel (lengthwise) and tucked both sides of it into the storage compartment and shut it, pinching the sides and anchoring them. I positioned it to be just wide enough to cover the top of the bumper cover and just flip it to the inside after the dog jumps in. By the way when you don't move it away from the rear hatch locking pins the Edge gets upset ;>) You will get a dash display and in my case I had to lift the hatch by hand to free the latch from the material. No big deal, but worth mentioning.

Edited by Chipster

I bought this stainless steel cover for my 2011. Looks great, adds some bling, and it has a taken some scratches (which was the point -protect the bumper)

Easy to install. Gets my approval :)

Sunroadway® Stainless Steel Rear Bumper Sill Plate Cover for Ford Edge 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015

• 3 months later...