Remote Start Questions

Sorry to open another remote start thread but I am having a little trouble picking out what kit to order. I have a 2013 SEL 3.5 and am looking to ad remote start with lift gate option and would like the remote access through my phone. I have found 2 kit online after looking through a large remote start thread here by candurin.

It looks like this kit on Amazon is a standard remote start kit? Is this the one most go with around here?

Its not letting me ad the link for some reason but it is part number DA8Z-19G364-A

The other kit I am looking at says it is the remote access from my cell phone but seems to me that it is a piggy back set up where I would need to buy the first kit and this kit to have everything I want, does that sound correct?

Again the site doesn't seem to be letting me paste a link in my thread, the part number for this is DL3Z19A390B

Sorry if this is a little confusing but possibly you guys could copy these part numbers to find the links I am looking at and help me out. I would like to get this kit ordered today if possible.

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it!

I am copying and pasting my response from another thread, because it answers exactly what your looking for. This will give you the 5 button fob as well as the cell phone access:

Here would be the "cheapest" way to get everything you would want (remote cell access + 100 series remote start via key fobs):

Remote cell access kit (includes VSS + RMU): http://www.ebay.com/itm/351691301806- for $200 (and $40/year) you're all set with remote start. You use your cell phone as the "fob" with unlimited range (note, you cannot operate the lift gate from your phone). Your dealership needs to activate it at $50-100 (.5-1 hour of labor, this cost is the same for ANY remote start version you need activated via IDS).

The cost of this remote cell kit is about $40 (less with shipping) more than just purchasing the VSS alone ($157 from Levittown). You get much better value for your $ and you can add cellular features at any time (I also like the additional resale value).

You need the Hood switch: BT4Z-19G366-A and aerial antenna: DA8Z-15603-A (aerial antenna is not needed for cell phone remote access, it's only needed if you want to start your car from your key fob). You can use Levittown ford or eBay for best price.

Lastly, you can add non-oem key fobs should you decide to use key fob for remote start (my non-oem have been working perfectly for well over a year): http://www.ebay.com/itm/351304921041

You can then do the entire installation at the rear of the car.

Hope this all makes sense and helps.

Let me circle back from my post. Some 2013 vehicles with power lift gate HAVE the VSS already installed, some do not.

Can you test to confirm if you have the security system (VSS) in your car?:

You can test it by rolling down the front window with the doors closed, then use your fob to lock the doors from outside. Then reach in through the window and open the door without unlocking it. If you have an alarm that will trigger it.

Note: It also looks like the ebay kit for the RMU/VSS is not longer available, so you may have to go with the OBD VSS and RMU modular kit. They can still be found for less than OEM, but not as cheap as $200.

Ill have to check and see if I have the VSS currently installed later today...

So that kit that you linked me to is no longer available, is there a kit that is available? That amazon kit I found is $283 shipped but I cant really tell what it all comes with?

I suppose I could pass on the remote cell access and just get the key fob version. If I do that Amazon kit do I still need to purchase the hood switch and aerial antenna? It doesn't list parts in the kit that I am seeing, I suppose I could email the seller lol...

What's the part number from Amazon?

You have to decide what your looking for. Here's the "typical" OEM options:

1. Short range, using an integrated Keyhead fob - 300' range (better outdoors than indoors)

2. long range, using a separate fob (just has a remote start button, that's all) - about 1000' range

3. Bi-directional long range, same as long range but the remote indicates when the car has actually started

4. remote access, uses your cell phone and as long as your phone and car are both in areas with reception, you can start your car (you will also get text and/or email messages if your alarm goes off for one reason or another). This service is $50/year in addition to parts and activation.

You need the hood switch at a minimum. Depending on what you decide you want, you may or may not need the standard antenna (only needed for short range kit).