Are you happy with Edge? Would you buy Edge again?

t0lkman

Are you happy with Edge? Would you buy Edge again?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Edge? Would you buy Edge again?

• Yes
    • No
    • I had to buy different trim level

Kind of sounds like a funny question for an EDGE FORUM.

Burke

Maybe not. Lots of times I've seen people join a forum just to complain about something that went wrong with their vehicle. In my case, I liked the '13 Edge initially but after about 18 months of ownership I got to the point where I just didn't want it anymore. My wife's opinion was even stronger - by the time we got rid of it, she absolutely hated it. Much of that was due to a variety of issues that weren't quite enough for lemon law replacement but there were things we grew to dislike in the design as well.

• 1 month later...

I should be happy with the Edge. I have a 2010 Limited which I bought used (about 15 months old with just under 20,000 miles) with every possible feature. It rides well, great for passengers on trips with lots of leg and head room and comfortable seats, has a great radio/sound/navigation system and, to date, has been very reliable. It is perfect for a soccer mom or hockey dad both as a kid transporter and a road trip to grandma's vehicle. But, as a driver's vehicle of a daily commuter it is a big disappointment. The vehicle itself is too tall and the driver's seat is too upright even with height/recline adjustments. It is also too wide and the short, very sharply sloped nose makes it very difficult to tell where the right front corner is. Even with five years of driving experience I still feel uncomfortable about adequate clearance in traffic with cars on my right and have hesitancy making a left hand turn into a parking space because I don't know if I am going to hit the car to the right as I turn in. Power is good with the V6 but at a price with really poor mileage. Barely 22 mpg on the interstate and maybe 18 mpg in town. And if you want to haul anything 6 feet long or more, such as a kayak, landscaping timbers, sheets of plywood (all of which I have tried to carry in my Edge), this is definitely the wrong vehicle. For such a big vehicle, it has a surprisingly short cargo bay even with the rear seats folded down. And the rear seats don't fold flat which further limits carrying long objects. This would be okay if I had rails and could roof load my stuff, but the Edge I bought has the BAMR and is not equipped with roof rails. As I found out after purchase Ford won't even sell them to me after market because of the BAMR even though people on this forum say it can be done. All in all the Edge has given good service for what it is designed to do. My wife really likes riding in it but she won't drive it (she thinks it's too big for her to drive). I don't mind driving it on road trips but hate driving it as my daily commuter which I have to do since I can't afford to have one car for daily use and another in the garage just for road trips. I will never buy another Edge but if Ford ever decides to import the Ford Mondeo Estate Wagon from Europe I will jump on that in a heartbeat.

I should be happy with the Edge. I have a 2010 Limited which I bought used (about 15 months old with just under 20,000 miles) with every possible feature. It rides well, great for passengers on trips with lots of leg and head room and comfortable seats, has a great radio/sound/navigation system and, to date, has been very reliable. It is perfect for a soccer mom or hockey dad both as a kid transporter and a road trip to grandma's vehicle. But, as a driver's vehicle of a daily commuter it is a big disappointment. The vehicle itself is too tall and the driver's seat is too upright even with height/recline adjustments. It is also too wide and the short, very sharply sloped nose makes it very difficult to tell where the right front corner is. Even with five years of driving experience I still feel uncomfortable about adequate clearance in traffic with cars on my right and have hesitancy making a left hand turn into a parking space because I don't know if I am going to hit the car to the right as I turn in. Power is good with the V6 but at a price with really poor mileage. Barely 22 mpg on the interstate and maybe 18 mpg in town. And if you want to haul anything 6 feet long or more, such as a kayak, landscaping timbers, sheets of plywood (all of which I have tried to carry in my Edge), this is definitely the wrong vehicle. For such a big vehicle, it has a surprisingly short cargo bay even with the rear seats folded down. And the rear seats don't fold flat which further limits carrying long objects. This would be okay if I had rails and could roof load my stuff, but the Edge I bought has the BAMR and is not equipped with roof rails. As I found out after purchase Ford won't even sell them to me after market because of the BAMR even though people on this forum say it can be done. All in all the Edge has given good service for what it is designed to do. My wife really likes riding in it but she won't drive it (she thinks it's too big for her to drive). I don't mind driving it on road trips but hate driving it as my daily commuter which I have to do since I can't afford to have one car for daily use and another in the garage just for road trips. I will never buy another Edge but if Ford ever decides to import the Ford Mondeo Estate Wagon from Europe I will jump on that in a heartbeat.

Good to know. I haven't looked in detail yet, but does the front passenger seat fold "forward"?

About one of the only redeeming qualities of my 2005 POS Chevy Equinox, is that the passenger front seat fold completely flat (forward). I can easily fit 6' and 8' items on the right side (depend on how wide they are).

Good to know. I haven't looked in detail yet, but does the front passenger seat fold "forward"?

About one of the only redeeming qualities of my 2005 POS Chevy Equinox, is that the passenger front seat fold completely flat (forward). I can easily fit 6' and 8' items on the right side (depend on how wide they are).

Our 2008 Edge did fold flat and it was great. I don't believe the newer ones fold flat.

The front passenger seat of my 2010 does fold forward to a pretty much horizontal surface but there is still a lot of variance up and down from the cargo bay over the folded down rear seat to the folded down front seat. If you have a long object that is brittle or potentially fragile it might crack where it is not supported in the middle.

I've only had my 16 edge for 2 weeks and I already regret purchasing it. The vehicle runs very smooth and no problems yet but wish I had a larger vehicle now. I feel quite cramped in it(I do have 2 kids in car seats though) My mpg is good so far at about 23.5 mix of city/hwy however I feel I'm having to fill up quite frequently. I am also having a hard time getting used the sync 3 and all the technology but i am used to driving older vehicles. My previously vehicles were a 2008 grand Cherokee(which i loved) and a 2009 escape(basically was a lemon). I think a crossover is just not my thing and i'm just now realizing that unfortunately. Although the edge is a beautiful vehicle I can't see myself owning it for a long time.

Maybe not. Lots of times I've seen people join a forum just to complain about something that went wrong with their vehicle. In my case, I liked the '13 Edge initially but after about 18 months of ownership I got to the point where I just didn't want it anymore. My wife's opinion was even stronger - by the time we got rid of it, she absolutely hated it. Much of that was due to a variety of issues that weren't quite enough for lemon law replacement but there were things we grew to dislike in the design as well.

Same feeling here. My 13 SEL has been in the shop for non scheduled repairs more in 3 years than my Honda CR-V was in 15 years. Bought the Edge primarily because I liked the look. And be honest, who wouldn't think a test drive in a brand new vehicle would be better than a 97 Honda. Should have test drove a few more options I guess. Wouldn't buy another.

Yup you hit the nail on the head. Not trying to knock the edge by no means. Just don't think its right for me. I was debating between a new grand Cherokee or edge for several months and took several test drives.

A JGC is not any larger than the Edge.

My 2013 Edge SE had 53K when I purchased it a year ago, now it has 56K. Only problem I've had is a low battery from lack of use. I really like it and it gets good mileage, 21/23 in town 25/27 on the highway. Before my wife passed last September. We would take long drives through the country, just because she enjoyed them so much. Since then I purchased another toy. That I've spent the last three months getting back up to my standards. I now drive it whenever I can. Here are some pictures.post-35678-0-96264100-1464356652_thumb.jpgpost-35678-0-10941300-1464356681_thumb.jpgpost-35678-0-25896700-1464356745_thumb.jpg

Burke

• Like 2

I love my 2014 Edge, great smooth ride and I love the style. It is the perfect vehicle for me and I'm planning on keeping it for a long time. However when it is time for me to trade it in, I will never buy the second gen Edge 2015, to me the style is just downright ugly and boring looking and looks like any other suv I see on the road.

We have an 08 MKX - and Edge with lipstick. It's my wife's vehicle and she likes it. It has been somewhat trouble free - an ABS sensor has gone bad and that was under warranty and lately the heated/cooled front seat module failed and is too expensive to replace. I changed the brakes at 75,000 miles and regular engine oil changes and lately I've been draining and refilling the transmission and thanks to this forum, I installed a drain plug in the PTU and will start to do very regular drain and fills of that. Having said that I dislike this vehicle and much prefer my GMC Envoy for the following reasons:

1) My biggest complaint is that I find the front seats VERY uncomfortable. I think it is the headrest which, IMO, is too far forward and I get a sore neck after an hour of driving. No other vehicle seems to be as uncomfortable as these front seats are because of this headrest.

2) The Sync system is horrible. A common complaint and we NEVER use the voice commands because it was clumsy and we now just don't use it. Apparently a very common complaint with this Microsoft based system. I think the newer systems use Blackberry and that makes it better but I don't have any experience with those.

3) I really dislike the 'courtesy wipe' on the wipers - and it is not programmable to disable and the dealer can't change it either.

4) I also dislike the 'auto off' of the heated and cooled seats. Since the module failed, I installed an aftermarket heated seat pad which stays on as long as I choose.

5) We have the Vista Roof - so no option for roof rack. Why not? Put some spacers in so opening the roof won't break the glass which I hear requires a mortgage to replace.

6) Lousy mileage. My Envoy does better. 3.5 versus 4.0 in the Envoy and the Envoy is more of a real 4WD.

7) Electric fold down pushbuttons for the rear seat has failed - but not a biggie.

8) Drive system feels clunky if driven aggressively. Hopefully the tranny is not about to fail. This also could have been the PTU (before oil drain and fills). We don't drive it aggressively because of this and no banging or clunking since the PTU oil changes.

9) We have the NAV system and the address entry seems backward. I have a Garmin that is much more intuitive. We're used to this NAV however. The other complaint is the expensive DVD NAV disk. Fortunately E-Bay has vendors that sell for less than the 1-800 number that comes up. Garmin has lifetime updates.

10) No Rear camera. The newer ones have these and Ford could have included this.

However, having said the things above, it does seem to be fairly well built other than the PTU which I hopefully resolved any issues with regular oil changes and a drain plug. Things I notice that are good are:

1) Clean oil after 5000 miles so not much contamination from sloppy engine components,

2) No oil consumption at the regular oil change intervals.

3) Steering is still pretty tight and no play in it. It does have a decent road handling feel.

4) I like the spare tire under the back cover and is not outside under the vehicle to get all crudded up (like the Envoy).

5) Decent visibility.

6) Newer vehicles are getting away from Tranny dipsticks so you can't change the oil yourself. This one still has the dipstick and a drain plug.

My answer to the 1st question is yes, I really like my Edge.

The answer to #2 is no, I likely won't buy another. I say that because I may want to change things up. Drive something different, perhaps sportier. But until then, assuming my Edge (2011, 77k miles) continues to be relatively trouble free, I have no intentions of parting ways.

As to the new Edge, I am not crazy about the body style changes on the new models (too Hyundai Santa Fe-like). I might even consider a Lincoln. Perhaps by the time I'm due to replace, Ford will revamp again more to my liking.

Edited by SoMdLimited

I rented a CUV last week which turned out to be a '16 Edge with only 5 miles on it. I was not pleased about the prospect because of my previous experience with our '13 but was pleasantly surprised with the improvements that have been made in the new model. The seats are much more comfortable, they finally put all the common audio and climate controls on real buttons and knobs (rather than buried in some menu on the touch screen), they've returned to a mechanical turn signal switch that doesn't always stay in the neutral position, and a number of other minor annoyances have been eliminated or at least improved. I'm still not sure I would ever buy another Edge but now I might consider it.

That said, there are some things that did not impress me. The keyless door locking is awkward - when you pull the handle to ensure the doors are locked, they unlock! There's no visible lock knob like there used to be. Instead there's a little red LED that is completely invisible in daylight. I ended up locking the doors, walking several feet away (with the key) and asking my wife to check that they were locked. I suppose if I had an owner's manual I might have figured out a better way but Avis doesn't include the manual.

The "sport" mode of the transmission (I assume that's what the S is for) enables the paddles on the steering wheel but they're a complete waste of time. The transmission doesn't respond immediately to their use and when it finally responds it's still a slush box - no better than when you used to be able to move the floor shifter from L through 2 and then D... pointless except in situations (like snow) where you need a particular gear. Paddles are great on a dual-clutch transmission that is designed for them but otherwise those who want manual shifting should buy a stick rather than pretending to shift an automatic.

The jury is still out on the electronic parking brake. It took most of the week to stop trying to press a non-existent parking brake pedal but the electronic brake actually seemed to hold the vehicle in place better than the old mechanical one. No more of that parking on a hill and having the vehicle rock in Park even though the parking brake had been applied.

The storage behind the second row seats seemed positively cavernous. I'm not sure if it was really bigger or just an impression but it held all of luggage with ease. We also had three adults in the second row seats comfortably. Very practical. On the other hand, the dash still looks like it stretches into the next county. A little disconcerting at first but you get used to it after a while.

You don't need to pull on the door handle to see if it's locked. Get out, close the door and touch the lock area on top of the door handle. You can hear it lock even if you don't see the red leds. I think it may flash the parking lights as well.

Sport mode doesn't just enable the paddles. It also holds gears longer and delays upshifts to keep rpm higher and I thought it did firmer and quicker upshifts.

• Like 1