Are you happy with Edge? Would you buy Edge again?

t0lkman

Are you happy with Edge? Would you buy Edge again?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Edge? Would you buy Edge again?

• Yes
    • No
    • I had to buy different trim level

Thanks "enigma-2" for trying to help me, but the parameters on my cell phone are not like that. :( What puzzles me is that ​I can make a call using the Sync but cannot answer when I receive one go figure... :shrug: So what I did is to simply turn the Bluetooth settings to "off" and use my phone through it's built-in speakertoo bad but I guess I'll have to live with that Sync s**t. :rant:

Claude.

Ok, sorry, my mistake. Probably a stupid question but have you updated to your latest operating system for your sonim xp5520?

• 1 year later...

I would not. I have the 2016 Edge Titanium with the 2.0 liter EcoBoost. The Sony sound system should be considered an embarrassment to both Sony and to Ford for putting it in any of their vehicles. The blue tooth through which hands free calling goes through is garbled and at such low volume, even when turned up all the way. The only way it sounds half way decent is if I turn the source audio to the USB input. I shouldn't have to do that. I came from a 2011 Honda Accord Crosstour and wish I had never traded it. Before buying this I test drove a 2018 Honda CRV. It was too cramped but the audio system was 100x better, and it was just the base system. I also couldn't get the hands free lift gate to work in the extreme cold. I don't know if it was due to the cold or what. Never mind that highway milage at 70 mph only hit 18 mpg. I now wish I'd have taken the cramped interior of the Honda over the Edge.

Strange issues you're having, scott. i get way better than advertised mpg on the highway, and my hwy driving is the 85mph roads here in texas. and thats with the 2.7 engine. also, i was thrilled with the stereo in this thing. coming from my bmw with the harmon kardon system i was quite impressed with the ford system.

sully i agree with the rattles. unacceptable to have so much noise in a brand new vehicle. i managed to pinpoint mine and eliminate them, but i'm more of a DIY guy than a dealer person.. I've never had a good experience with a dealer.

The new style is one big reason I bought my 2016 Edge Tightanium. With a bit more then a year of owning it I can say the ONLY thing that bothers me is a console rattle only with my arm resting on it and the transmission down shifts often with very little load. Would I buy another one? Possibly, but I usually change things up each time I get a new car.

• 4 weeks later...

As for me, I have owned 2 Edges thus far (2008 and my current 2011).

Reliability: I can safely say that both of my Edges have been quite reliable. I have had one major repair with the 2011 (a/c compressor grenaded itself on a 115 degree day). However, the 2011 did have its share of niggling issues (e.g. master cylinder, door latch).

Comfort: I am not a small dude by any stretch but found both Edges comfortable. The upgrade from my 2008 SE to my 2011 Limited was even moreso. I can haul our bikes in the Edge with the rear seats folded.

Will I get another? Well, the Edge ST is intriguing me. However, I like the Edge Sport and MKX. However, the new Lincoln Nautilus, Expedition Platinum, and Navigator all are intriguing to me. Then again, so is the JGC Trackhawk......lol

However, a 2011-2014 Sport would be a fun vehicle for me to customize as I see fit.

Edited by PrinzII
  • Like 1

I voted yes, as I am currently on my second Edge. First one was a 2013 SEL FWD. Traded it in with 55K miles and never had one issue with it. It was the perfect car. However, I always wanted a Limited/Titanium with the bells and whistles since mine lacked AWD and a sunroof. So now I own a 2017 Titanium AWD and have had it for about 6 months. The drawbacks from my old car come from lacking the amenities that the newer one has but I think the older version had the following better things:

- seats were more comfortable

- passenger seat folded flat forward

- better gas mileage/more power, assuming this comes from FWD

- better rear camera

- smoother ride (also might come from FWD)

Overall, I love the 2017 Edge, and all the bells and whistles. I do just wish I had gotten a Limited with everything back in 2013. It would be paid off in December.

Edited by Mirage52
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a 2010 Edge Limited which just crossed 175,000 miles. I have never really liked driving it as a day-to-day commuter vehicle (too tall, too wide, can't see the front corners when parking) but it has been a superb road trip car; very comfortable for driver and passenger, excellent road handling, adequate cargo space for luggage (not for lumber/furniture/anything longer than 6 feet), lots of very good storage space and a magnificent entertainment/radio/navigation/phone system. Unfortunately, over the last year, it has developed mechanical reliability issues including, finally, a water pump failure that destroyed the engine and required a replacement engine to keep it running. So while the replacement engine is still under warranty, it is time to replace my 2010 Edge. While the engine on my 2010 Edge was being replaced, I had a dealer rental/loaner 2018 Edge SEL for about a week. My experience with the 2018 Edge has convinced me that I will NOT purchase another Edge. BTW, my wife, who thoroughly loved my 2010 Edge, totally agrees with this assessment. All of the things that we disliked about the 2010 Edge (too tall, too wide, cargo space too short, horrible mileage) have been retained in the 2018 Edge while all of the things that we liked have been deleted. Here are the lists of changes made between the 2010 and 2018 Edge that have convinced us to look elsewhere:

1. Less convenient/reduced storage space. The open "cubby hole" and tray forward of the gear shift is now smaller and covered over. The console storage bin is smaller, shorter, and deeper without the convenient removable upper and middle trays. The cup holders in the console have for no good reason been shifted from a convenient "fore and aft" arrangement to a more crowded side by side arrangement. The very large and accessible storage pockets in the front doors have been make smaller and less accessible by extending the armrest out and forward and putting the stereo speaker in the lower front corner of the door panel. Overall a massive fail in the redesign of the interior.

2. Automatic engine shutoff when stopped in traffic (e.g., stoplight). I have had this feature in a European rental car with a manual transmission and liked it. With an automatic transmission I find it somewhat unnerving with the clearly felt "clunk" of the transmission when the engine shuts off and then restarts. I figured out how to disable this feature but then it would reset whenever I parked the car and turned off the ignition. Don't know if this is a standard feature or an option, but I certainly would not select it as an option.

3. Keyless ignition system. My wife and I both hate this feature. We both found ourselves forgetting to turn the engine off when we got out because there was no ignition key. Further, it is too easy to leave the key fob in the car if it was in a jacket pocket that you left in the backseat. I would never select this as an option, but apparently it is a standard feature that cannot be changed.

4. Change of the excellent entertainment/sound system, especially loss of the "jukebox" media feature. The design, layout and ease of operation of the central computer display with radio, media, navigation and phone was superb. The convenience of the jukebox feature, which enabled us to organize and access our music library when traveling with no additional devices or connections is brilliant. My wife has exactly the same system in her 2014 Mustang -- that was a big selling point for the car. For reasons that I do not understand, this feature is no longer available in the Edge (or any other Ford product as far as I can determine.) Yes, I understand that it is possible to connect via wire or Bluetooth an mp3 device programmed with our music to provide a similar capability to the jukebox feature. But neither my wife nor I have a smart phone nor do we intend to get one. And while my wife does have an iPod for home use, it is much less convenient to program, carry and connect it to provide less capability than is built in to my 2010 Edge. We might have been able to live with the other changes that we disliked but this change is a deal breaker.

Change is good if it is an improvement. However, the design changes to the Edge were most definitely not an improvement. I will be looking elsewhere for my next vehicle.

• Like 1

Can’t speak to #1 - that’s personal preference.

#2 - auto stop/start appears to only be available on SE FWD models but I’m not 100% sure. It cannot be deactivated. I have it on my 2018 F150 and really like it but I can understand why you wouldn’t like it on the Edge.

3 - keyless ignition - vast majority like it. There are safeguards to keep you from leaving the key in the vehicle accidentally or removing it from the vehicle while it’s running. It would only take you a couple of weeks to get used to it.

4 is a real head-scratcher. You don’t need a MP3 player or iPod for music. Instead of ripping them to the internal hard drive you use your computer and rip the cds into iTunes or some other free software, then copy them to a small usb drive you can leave in the vehicle all the time. It works great and you can have individual playlists.

Sync 3 is a huge improvement over MFT and the pre-MFT systems.

• Like 1

The new style is one big reason I bought my 2016 Edge Tightanium. With a bit more then a year of owning it I can say the ONLY thing that bothers me is a console rattle only with my arm resting on it and the transmission down shifts often with very little load. Would I buy another one? Possibly, but I usually change things up each time I get a new car.

I fixed my rattle or squeaky noise with some WD40 on the little latch that holds the lid closed. No noises in my Edge now. How nice. Still love the Edge.

• Like 2

Reply to akirby:

1. You're right. And I prefer the interior of the 2010 Edge.

2. If it's an option, that's fine. I just won't choose that option.

3. "Vast majority like it" doesn't include me or my wife and no, we won't ever get used to it. We may be forced to live with it since it seems that keys are no longer an option but we won't like it. BTW, in my Air Force job, I frequently have to work in classified facilities which prohibit electronic devices such as cell phones, tablets, iPods, etc from being brought into the facility. Automobile key fobs with their transmit/receive function are among the items that must be left outside of the facility. Another reason I prefer to have a real key.

4. You are making my point. I was unsure if the thumb drive was an option with the new sound system, but even that is less convenient and requires additional equipment and actions on my part to provide less capability than already exists in my 2010 Edge. Why was it changed?

Key FOB'S also contain transmit circuitry.

I understand why you don't like the IA fob, with me it's the large physical size of carrying around in my back pocket.

As for not allowed to enter the controlled area with the IA, you have a locker that you can lock it up in. When I was in the military and worked in a classified area, it was cameras. And the camera's we used were kept locked up even when there was no film in them.

Reply to akirby:

4. You are making my point. I was unsure if the thumb drive was an option with the new sound system, but even that is less convenient and requires additional equipment and actions on my part to provide less capability than already exists in my 2010 Edge. Why was it changed?

It was changed because the USB/media player/phone option is way way way more convenient and because 99.999999% of buyers prefer it.

You can put thousands of songs on a usb stick or iPod or your phone.

When you change vehicles you can take it with you.

You can use music that’s only downloaded where you don’t even have a CD.

All it takes to convert a CD to a usb stick is a laptop, free software and 10 minutes. No more than it takes to rip the cd to the jukebox.

You can do custom playlists. You can also choose songs by artist, song title, album or playlist or genre by voice.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want another Edge and luckily my 15 Sport only has 6 months left on the lease.

Dislikes:

-handling

-transmission

-fuel economy

-cheap paint (lots of small rust specs on the lower panels, even though i wax after every wash)

-Ford dealership service is a joke

-sync 2

-cooled seats never worked

-cheesy LED daytime running lights

-front leg room

I know that Ford has rectified most of my dislikes with the Edge ST, but I want something with better tech and build quality. Will most likely be moving on to a Volvo XC60 T6 or and Audi SQ5.

I feel like by 2018 Ford should have put the 2.3T from Focus RS into the Edge, to give it less weight and more horsepower with a chance at greater fuel efficiency than the current 2.7 Ecoboost. Although most auto manufacturers are headed in that direction, I fee like Ford is dragging their feet, especially with one of the most popular vehicle segments.

I wouldn't want another Edge and luckily my 15 Sport only has 6 months left on the lease.

Dislikes:

-handling

-transmission

-fuel economy

-cheap paint (lots of small rust specs on the lower panels, even though i wax after every wash)

-Ford dealership service is a joke

-sync 2

-cooled seats never worked

-cheesy LED daytime running lights

-front leg room

I know that Ford has rectified most of my dislikes with the Edge ST, but I want something with better tech and build quality. Will most likely be moving on to a Volvo XC60 T6 or and Audi SQ5.

I feel like by 2018 Ford should have put the 2.3T from Focus RS into the Edge, to give it less weight and more horsepower with a chance at greater fuel efficiency than the current 2.7 Ecoboost. Although most auto manufacturers are headed in that direction, I fee like Ford is dragging their feet, especially with one of the most popular vehicle segments.

My guess is the fuel economy with the 2.3T would probably be very very close to the 2.7T - maybe even the same.

If you’re looking at Volvo and Audi you should at least look at the new Nautilus.

To akirby:

I understand the process and equipment to rip a CD to a thumb drive. My Edge and my wife's Mustang have that capability in addition to the jukebox feature. My wife's 2001 Mustang also had that USB thumb drive capability with an after-market replacement stereo system we put in when her factory system broke. From my personal experience with the thumb drive/USB option in my wife's old Mustang compared to the jukebox in her 2014 Mustang and my 2010 Edge, the thumb drive/USB is not nearly as convenient as the jukebox feature. To prepare a thumb drive I have to first buy a thumb drive, use my computer at home to rip the CD to a properly configured digital file, organize the content into a playlist or catalog, then transfer the file to the thumb drive. With the jukebox, I plug the CD into my car stereo while driving, hit Record, and either listen to the CD or listen to the radio while the CD is being recorded to the jukebox complete with organization into Artist, Album and Track. If I want to create, modify or delete playlists or any music files I can do that in the car without having any additional equipment or work. And the jukebox feature enables me to select playlist, artist, album or song by voice command. The buyers that prefer the thumb drive or Blue Tooth option are welcome to their choice. I wish that Ford provided me the same option to choose my preference.

The only reason that feature existed is because there was extra space left over on the hard drive in the head unit that was used for navigation. With Sync 2 (MFT) and Sync 3 that hard drive no longer exists, that’s why they got rid of it.

And you’re one of only a few people that would prefer it over usb.

If you like it that’s fine but don’t pretend that it’s a better option.

• Like 1

To akirby:

I understand the process and equipment to rip a CD to a thumb drive. My Edge and my wife's Mustang have that capability in addition to the jukebox feature. My wife's 2001 Mustang also had that USB thumb drive capability with an after-market replacement stereo system we put in when her factory system broke. From my personal experience with the thumb drive/USB option in my wife's old Mustang compared to the jukebox in her 2014 Mustang and my 2010 Edge, the thumb drive/USB is not nearly as convenient as the jukebox feature. To prepare a thumb drive I have to first buy a thumb drive, use my computer at home to rip the CD to a properly configured digital file, organize the content into a playlist or catalog, then transfer the file to the thumb drive. With the jukebox, I plug the CD into my car stereo while driving, hit Record, and either listen to the CD or listen to the radio while the CD is being recorded to the jukebox complete with organization into Artist, Album and Track. If I want to create, modify or delete playlists or any music files I can do that in the car without having any additional equipment or work. And the jukebox feature enables me to select playlist, artist, album or song by voice command. The buyers that prefer the thumb drive or Blue Tooth option are welcome to their choice. I wish that Ford provided me the same option to choose my preference.

I've never used anything like that, but it seems like more effort. With my windows computer, just put a CD into the drive, and it rips the music, usually in less than a minute, to my computer. I can then just plug my phone in, and drag all of the music to my phone. or as akirby said, to a thumb drive. or a $13 16gb mp3 player from amazon. No fancy programs or anything to download, as CDs are almost always ripped to your computer as an mp3 file anyway.

Basically I've ripped nearly 1000 songs from CDs to my computer, and put them on an MP3 player, and had them in my car in far less time than playing/recording each song one at a time. that just seems silly to me.

It still has the capability to select artist and song by voice command, and I just leave the MP3 player plugged in because it was cheap.

I guess some people just don't like change

To Mikulski -- if I read your post correctly, you have experience with the USB/phone/mp3 player but not the jukebox system in the 2010 - 2014 Ford's. However, I have experience with both. The jukebox in the car does everything you described that your computer does plus it plays back the music without having to transfer and store it on a separate device to play it in your car.

And you don't have to listen to each individual track while it downloads. The jukebox rips the whole disc to the car sound system in the same amount of time as ripping it to my computer. I repeat, I have used both systems. My Edge and my wife's Mustang have the full phone/blue tooth/thumb drive features as is offered in current Fords plus we have the additional jukebox feature that is not offered. In my opinion, based on my experience using both systems, the system with the addition of the jukebox feature is more convenient, more flexible, easier to use and better value for your money than a system without the jukebox. It's not that I don't like change. I changed from the USB/thumb drive system in my wife's old Mustang to the jukebox system in my Edge and her new Mustang. It was a change for the better. Why would I want to change back?

Nothing personal but I'm afraid I have to disagree with you about jukebox vs USB. I too have used both (I have the jukebox in my Mustang). I used it once or twice and haven't bothered with it since then because a USB flash drive is so much more flexible and convenient. There are some major shortcomings with the jukebox:

- it can only handle CDs, not music downloaded from an online music store.

- it can only handle commercial music CDs that are in its Gracenote database (i.e. no MP3 or "mix" CDs someone may make or even some of the more obscure music CDs)

- it is not portable

- it's expensive because it only comes with a high-end optional system

The complaint that USB requires a separate device is unimportant... flash drives are so inexpensive these days that you can get small ones for free as promotional advertising items and you can get 32GB flash drives (three times the jukebox capacity) for under $10. I'd be willing to bet that you already have a few around the house. Besides, the jukebox requires separate devices - physical CDs.

Inconvenient? More inconvenient than having to go to the store to buy physical CDs rather than just buying music online? Not to mention buying an entire album even if you really only want one or two tracks. Software is available for free to rip your existing CDs and create playlists on a flash drive. Windows XP and newer have that capability built in without even having to download a program. And MP3 files have all the metadata tags (artist, title, genre, etc.) included in the file so the Gracenote database isn't necessary. You put your music on a flash drive, plug it into your car and you leave it there until you want to add more music. You can then play by track, genre, artist, album, playlist, or even folder via the touch screen or voice commands. And when you want to have your music in a rental car on vacation, you simply take your flash drive with you... can't do that with the jukebox.

Better value? You had to buy the navigation system to get the jukebox. That's a pretty steep upcharge compared to a $10 flash drive. More flexible? I may be missing something but I really don't see how.

Aside from all that, it's just the way the market is going. You can't get cassette tape players in cars anymore. 8-tracks, AM stereo and even CD changers have gone the way of the dodo bird. These days, many aftermarket head units don't include CD players at all because music players, flash drives and online streaming are the way people have their music now. It probably won't be long before OEM systems follow suit and eliminate the CD player as well.

It is not more flexible because once you rip the songs to the internal hard drive they can’t be moved to another vehicle.

It won’t hold as many songs as a USB drive or media player/phone.

You can’t load downloaded songs without first burning them to a CD. With an iPhone I can purchase a new song from iTunes and play it immediately.

I haven’t actually purchased a physical CD in many years.

If you sell the vehicle or have to replace the head unit you lose all your songs and would have to re-rip them to a new vehicle or new head unit.

You can use the media player/phone/usb stick with other devices - Bluetooth speakers, TVs, home stereos, etc.

The ONLY advantage you get with the jukebox is that you don’t need a computer to rip the cds. But almost everyone has a computer nowadays, or a tablet or phone that allows digital downloads.

Nobody is saying that it’s not a good system and if you prefer it that’s just fine. We’re not trying to tell you otherwise. But don’t try to justify your preference by saying it’s objectively better because it’s not. Just say that you like it better and nobody can argue with that.

To those of you arguing in favor of your preference for the USB/flashdrive/Bluetooth option, great, glad you like it, sure it works great for you. Ford still provides you your preferred option that is better for you. But as I said above, for me and my preferences, the jukebox system is the better, more convenient choice. I don't have and will not acquire a smart phone. I do not buy or download music on line. I only rarely rip music from my CDs to my computer for use on my iPod shuffle or my wife's iPod touch. I find the process time consuming, not intuitively user friendly and, for me, inconvenient. Over the years that I have owned my Edge, I have frequently made impulse buys of new CDs that I have seen in (for instance) Cracker Barrel when traveling, plugged it into the CD player when I got back on the road, hit Record while listening to the CD, and by the time the second track has finished the entire disc is permanently stored and archived in the jukebox. In my definition, that better capability and more convenient than having to wait until I get home and use my computer to rip and transfer the disc to a USB or mp3 player. Yes, when I sell the Edge the buyer will get the 1000+ songs that are stored in the juke box. If they don't like my choice in music, they can delete it and load their own or use the USB/flashdrive/Bluetooth features on the Edge for additional capability while still keeping the jukebox music library that I created. At the same time, since I still have the CDs, it would be quite easy to reload my music into my new vehicle if it had the jukebox option. Since Ford no longer offers that option (neither does anyone else as far as I can tell) I will be forced to use the USB/flashdrive process with all the aforementioned features that I personally find inconvenient and less flexible. My current system gives me the option of either using the Bluetooth/mp3 player/USB feature or using the built-in jukebox. The replacement system does not provide the additional capability and convenience of a built-in all-in-one system that is provided by the jukebox feature. From my perspective, additional capability with additional options is better. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Enjoy your preferred sound system; I'll have to learn to adapt to whatever capability my next vehicle has.