Are you happy with Edge? Would you buy Edge again?

t0lkman

Are you happy with Edge? Would you buy Edge again?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Edge? Would you buy Edge again?

• Yes
    • No
    • I had to buy different trim level

I can feel your pain with ripping music to an Apple device. I won an iPod several years ago and thought it would be great for portable music. I've been in IT since before the PC was invented so I have some experience with file management but I got so frustrated with trying to transfer my music to the iPod that I quickly tossed it into the trash. Ripping to a flash drive is a much simpler process - the initial rip process is all that is involved. There's no extra step of using iTunes or any other software, accounts or subscriptions. Each track becomes an MP3 file and you simply copy them wherever you need them just as you would with any other file. You might want to try that to see if it improves your opinion of using flash drives.

However, having to wait to record a CD you pick up while traveling is a non-sequitur - you just bought the CD so you can play it in the car whether you have a jukebox or not. BTW, I'm sure you won't care but leaving that music on the jukebox when you sell the vehicle is a violation of copyright law unless you also give them the original CDs.

Why is it so hard for people to just say “I prefer that feature” without trying to justify it or make a case that it’s objectively better?

There are plenty of things I prefer that aren’t necessarily the best from an objective standpoint.

BTW - using iTunes is also simple. It only takes 1mouse click to rip a cd. From there you can copy songs to playlists and either copy the files from the iTunes library directly to the flash drive or I use a free program called iTunes export. Even if you don’t buy music online it’s still free and works well.

I ripped all of my CDs using my PC at least a decade ago.

I encoded it all at 320 bitrate which generated files that were- at the time, huge. However, encoding at a 320 bitrate creates a nearly perfect sounding duplicate of the CD. All of my music (approx 2000 tracks) totals up close to 20 GB of data. At the time, that was a lot of space- but I knew how things went with storage. As expected, 10 years later, you can pick up compact 32GB flash drives all day long for $15.

I did download a few things I couldn't find CDs for- for those tracks/albums I used an ID tag editor so they were tagged just like the items I ripped myself.

Lastly, I used another program that would look at the levels of each album and track. It evened out the volume across all albums/tracks, while maintaining relative levels to each each other. Meaning, it would make all the albums pretty much the same as far as volume goes, but the quiet tracks remained quieter than the loud track within each album. It also looked for any track/album with clipping and corrected that. I forget the name of this piece of software but I could find it if someone is interested. This step is so important, and few ever do it, or even know they can do it. I can do a 'shuffle all' on my USB drive in the car and all the tracks are at the same volume level, no matter what it is.

It was a lot of work up front to get hem all correctly ripped, encoded, tagged and volume leveled. However, you only have to do it once assuming you are old enough to not be buying a ton of new music. I just copy and paste form one flash drive to another whenever I need a source of music to use in a new device/car/computer.

Great. I just got over 8-track's. I suppose they'll discontinue cassettes next.

Was at my parents house last week, they still have a nice Technics turntable, a JVC tape deck, and a Sony reel-to-reel machine as well. His A/V receiver has a phono input as well. Noting that plays wax though!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Regrets...not really, but maybe disappointed that it should have been better. My tyres have worn out at 11k miles, I have some other faults too. But the design issues are bugging me most. The Sat nav voice control only allows a full address (house number, street and town. ) I would prefer to have other more important controls on the 'voice', such as "Demist Front Screen" etc.... although it does answer for the nearest coffer shop... but not the nearest fuel !!!. Ambient light colours are a bit pathetic, only noticeable if I point it out to people. Parcel shelf/torneo(sp) cover is poor. And the hand book looks so cheap, printed on toilet paper. (should I expect more from a £39 000 car?

I like the large space, heated and cooled seats, voice controlled audio. Would I buy another? I would rather a Landrover Discovery but the Edge is 2/3rds of the price.

Not well documented but if you say "I need gas" the nav system will list nearby gas stations (I don't know if "petrol" works). Similarly, "I'm hungry" will list restaurants, "I'm thirsty" will list coffee shops, "I'm hurt" will list hospitals, but "I'm bleeding" will list police stations. :doh:

• Like 1

Ummmm so what about "I'm horny"?

I've never tried it... it's my wife's vehicle and not worth the life sentence that would generate.

BTW, I also found that the appropriate profanity (as in "f-o") is the same as cancel. It happened when I was getting very frustrated trying to get it to respond to voice commands. Sometimes it seems like I can say "call home" and it will respond "deploying airbags".

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 year later...
On 6/2/2016 at 10:57 AM, TheWizard said:

I rented a CUV last week which turned out to be a '16 Edge with only 5 miles on it. Paddles are great on a dual-clutch transmission that is designed for them but otherwise those who want manual shifting should buy a stick rather than pretending to shift an automatic.

And where in the sam H E double tooth pick are you going to buy a stick?  Some manufactures still offer sticks, but usually only in the lowest trim with the smallest engines.

I have an 08 Lincoln (an Edge with lipstick) and wouldn't buy another.  In no particular order of what I don't like...

1) I find the seats uncomfortable and have caused severe back issues on 2 occasions.

2) I dislike the headrest angle compared to my other vehicle a GMC Envoy. It feels like its angles too far forward and on long trips my neck hurts.

3) The heated seats automagically switch off after 15 minutes. I like my butt warm and I'll decide when to shut the heat off. Took it to the dealer and they say they can't change the Auto Off option.

4)) I dislike the way addresses are entered into the Nav unit - but now I use my phone. Voice commands never did work and Ford admit their arrangement with Microsoft for that bit of software was lacking and have apparently moved to Blackberry. (I miss my BB).

4) The NAV maps are not being updated anymore. I have the 13P version from a few years ago but they are out of date. So Google maps are it generally now.

5) I also don't like that they never did address the PTU issue. (I drilled a hole and do regular PTU oil changes.)

6) I've had tranny shifting issues.

7) That 'courtesy wipe" that the wipers do (1 more wipe) after you shut them off. That screws up the timing of spray and wipe to clean the windshield.

So No - I wouldn't buy another Edge although I do like the look and the size (and perhaps any other Fords too) because of other issues I've had with a Mustang that Ford Service advisors just laugh at - like the 2 piece spark plug's that can break off in the head when removed - $1000 to fix if they all break!!! And the aluminum hoods that corrode on the front lip because of a manufacturing problem - but it doesn't perf in the warranty period so they don't address it. Their soluton is to paint the hood but that doesn't stop the initial cause of the corrosion so it continues.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We just bought a 2017 Edge SEL with 35,000 miles. It’s in perfect shape and we love it. It’s our 3rd edge...had a 2007, 2013 and now the 2017.

my son sells cars so we got at least a fair deal. The new ones were @ $40,000+ and we got this one for @$22,000....half price for a nice ride. 

I was a bit concerned because it has the 2.0 turbo. I never owned a turbo before and I thought the four banger would be a bust. We had an early Hyundai suv with the four cylinder and literally had to turn off the A/C to pull big hills...ha

Well, we just drove 1,000 miles from Illinois to Houston at 75-80 mph, and averaged 27+ mpg for the trip. Super!!

of course, the car is very comfortable and reasonably quiet except for the tires...Michelin ....noisy!!

the engine is terrific!! Only downshifted a couple of times with cruise control on the entire trip. Wow. More torque than I would have imagined. I’m impressed. 

Even with the A/C on, it pulled well. Is it a powerhouse? Of course not. Is it adequate for daily driving? Absolutely.  On the interstate is does far better than expected and I wouldn’t be afraid to drive it anywhere!! 

overall we’re very satisfied and I would buy the exact same car again.....

Edited by ZZOOGG
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

(16 Sport) There's alot I like about the Edge, but I'll have to see see in 5-10 years how I feel about it.

I drove a lightly modified Focus ST for 7 years and was reluctant to get rid of it, but I was always running out of cargo space, and my mother in law couldn't fit in the front recaros. This was the closest I could get without going import and being destroyed by the eventual repair bills. GM and FCA didn't have anything that felt as premium as the Edge at the time (probably still don't). The Porsche Cayenne or Audi SQ5 are probably ideal cars for me, but they're way too expensive to buy, way too expensive to fix, and I didn't want to be a "Porsche SUV Guy".

I'm a littler over a month into ownership, instead of writing a book, here are my notes:

Good

-Platinum white's a great color

-Hwy fuel mileage - avg 25-7ish

-Motor has good torque

-Heated and reclining rear seats are great for passengers

-cavernous rear storage

-kick open lift gate *awesome*

-remote start

-cabin dampens road noise well

-pano sunroof is *awesome*

-front camera(!)

-decent but not great stereo (just good enough not to replace)

-Ford's optional console vault is cool

-Cheap repairs compared to imports

-Transmission is fine (considering what the vehicle is), should be reliable

-sport mode is noticeably different compared to Drive

Bad

-suspension is surprisingly chattery and stiff

-seats in general. They're not very deep, and they don't lower enough. at lowest setting my eyes are level with the rear view mirror (I'm 6'4", so unless I'm in a BMW this is a problem)

-City mileage (avg14-17ish)

-Brakes are only adequate

-auto parking is a joke

-chome on black wheels are cheesy, wish they were solid silver

-DVD players in the headrests are of low quality

-steering at parking lot speeds has unusual weight to it

-I seem to have a hardware problem that prevents me from updating SYNC.

I didn't test drive a 2.0T because I know that motor very well from my Focus ST and wanted something different. Right off the bat I know I would have hated Ford's throttle mapping for it, and 4400lbs dry with nobody/nothing inside I think is just too much weight for it to haul. I'll routinely load up 400+lbs of equipment in the back of this car. 

I am pretty happy with my ST, but. I am not happy with the transmission, I still don’t understand why they did not put the 10 speed auto in it like they did the F150s and the Mustang.  The steering should be a bit quicker, this is an ST.  

Edited by Sage

8 minutes ago, Sage said:

I am pretty happy with my ST, but. I am not happy with the transmission, I still don’t understand why they did not put the 10 speed auto in it like they did the F150s and the Mustang.  

Well if they used the 10 speed then it would be sticking out of the drivers wheel well because that’s a RWD tranny.

• 3 weeks later...

I traded a '17 Lincoln MKC last February for my '19 Edge Titanium. Frankly I wanted a new Lincoln Nautilus, but couldn't justify the price tag. I would have liked the Edge ST, but it was not available equipped as I wanted. I did not want 20" or 21" wheels (especially black). I already had 17" verde chrome mags, and 4 17" snow tires I used on my Lincoln. I ordered my Titanium with optional '17 wheels and everything fits nicely. I also didn't want a black interior so I got Ceramic leather on my Titanium. Lastly I didn't want a trailer hitch. Overall I'm pretty happy with my Titanium, but miss the power of my 2.3 (285hp) Lincoln MKC.

20190505_071751 (1).jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 5:11 PM, mrmikesdeuce said:

I traded a '17 Lincoln MKC last February for my '19 Edge Titanium. Frankly I wanted a new Lincoln Nautilus, but couldn't justify the price tag. I would have liked the Edge ST, but it was not available equipped as I wanted. I did not want 20" or 21" wheels (especially black). I already had 17" verde chrome mags, and 4 17" snow tires I used on my Lincoln. I ordered my Titanium with optional '17 wheels and everything fits nicely. I also didn't want a black interior so I got Ceramic leather on my Titanium. Lastly I didn't want a trailer hitch. Overall I'm pretty happy with my Titanium, but miss the power of my 2.3 (285hp) Lincoln MKC.

20190505_071751 (1).jpg

That is a nice looking car--I agree about avoiding the 21" blackout wheels.  I know it's a popular look but I prefer the silver/chrome/aluminum look.  Black wheels always make me think of someone who never takes time to clean the brake-dust from their wheels so my initial gut feeling when I see black wheels is "wash your car!".  They're popular enough now so I'm starting to come around, especially if they're gloss.  And on that note--that flat finish for wheels or sheet metal is something I don't think I'll ever want.

I have a 2018 Edge SEL FWD for almost 2 years 24K  I am on the old side so this review might not fit with younger drivers. My best car ever was a 69 NSU TT.

Good ride on trips just OK around town.

3.5 has plenty of power

Tow package good for hauling large items up to 3500#

milage OK 22.5 combined 

Sync 3 mostly good voice not

remote start in winter

Dislikes

seats are very uncomfortable, leather is better than cloth I had in 2017 Explorer but not by much seat bottom too short for my legs and I am only 6ft missing my Volvo.

hood makes it hard to judge distance parking.

Steering wheel design, like a flat or open bottom to rest my hand on trips, yes a bit picky but it matters to me.

boring drive response

i don’t think I would get another one unless it gets RWD like the new Explorer and maybe handling closer to an X3