IDS/Scan tool?

wlepse

I have the same camera issues on my 2012 Edge (lost the lines, etc). I would like to order an OBDII adapter to try to re-activate it and see if it will lose the signal again. I'm still unsure if I need the more expensive OBDII MX ($80) that supports MS-CAN, or a cheap OBDII without MS-CAN can work for that purpose (re-calibrate/activate the camera ) ?

thank you

I believe the camera settings are on the MS-CAN bus.

A cheap ELM 327 can be modified to access that bus, you don't have to have the $80 adapter

The trick is finding a cheap device that will work properly. I have one and I am currently wiring in a switch, i will be posting details soon if it works (and later if it doesn't).

• 5 months later...

Hey wlepse,

I also have this adapter and you have just lead me to the fact that it might work on my 2011 Edge Ltd. I had the camera replaced a few years ago (less than 1 year after getting it), and it either did not get programmed with the lines and color box warnings, or one of the MFT updates messed it up (??).

So, should I buy/download FORscan Lite for windows and use my BT dongle in my laptop (I use it for headphones on my work desktop), or will the adroid version of FORscan Lite allow me to switch them on?

FYI, I was unable to perform the update on my Android but it worked like a dream on my laptop w/bluetooth!

So you're saying, you connected your laptop to the BAFX using bluetooth, correct? Now, I was able to connect my android phone FORscan Lite (free) to my BAFX plugged into my 11 Edge last night. Seemed like it saw everything. But I saw no options to change settings in the car.

Is this same as you experienced? Or do you think I need to buy the full version to get that option on Android?

I do have a USB plug in that gives a computer Bluetooth. So could try that also.

TIA

I realize I didn't update on my cheap ODB2 adapter.

Hardware-v1-5-ELM-327-with-Bluetooth-con

It worked on my phone but the Bluetooth was flakey and I couldn't get it to connect at all to a laptop, The switch mod worked for accessing the MS-CAN bus though (but the Bluetooth would cut our before it was finished reading all the data).

I ordered a USB adapter, it connected fine but then Forscan said it doesn't support all commands.

Newly-ELM327-USB-V1-5-Professional-OBD-O

It seems cheap is not a good approach!

Edited by factor99
  • Like 1

:( You would think wired would be good, but I guess not!

Yes, I though I was safe getting version 1.5; version 2.1 is apparently quite bad. The issue is that the ELM327 clones are not exact copies of the original.

This doesn't matter if you are just monitoring i.e Torque, but if you want to change parameters (i.e reset the battery monitor), there are extra features that are needed.

I suspect that mine meets some or maybe most of the extra requirements, but Forscan has set the bar very high, possible for good reason.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I tried the calibration procedure using elm327 like the one below amd it didnt recognizrd the vehicul

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B016C5722U/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504059840&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=elm327+wifi&dpPl=1&dpID=51YhpE%2BhGwL&ref=plSrch

Then i ordered the odblink mx BT and it worked like a charm!!

Lesson learn... dont by crap

I tried the calibration procedure using elm327 like the one below amd it didnt recognizrd the vehicul

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B016C5722U/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504059840&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=elm327+wifi&dpPl=1&dpID=51YhpE%2BhGwL&ref=plSrch

• Like 1

We learned the same lesson. I just got the Obdlink MX and it worked great.

fyi to others, I got it for CAN$115 on amazon.ca.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/4/2016 at 7:30 PM, wlepse said:

BAFX Products Bluetooth Diagnostic OBDII Reader/Scanner for Android Devices

That's not going to work with the Foscam full Windows version which is the only version capable of writing changes.

On 8/30/2017 at 10:04 AM, IWRBB said:

I bought this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0GVBWY

Works fine with Forscan. I reprogrammed a few things on my truck and my brothers truck.

I also bought this one was on sale a few days ago but was looking at this one also - https://www.amazon.com/VINT-TT55502-modified-Windows-ELMconfig-compatible/dp/B01N18TOFB/

• Like 1