Need help! Hood shakes over bumps/on highways -2015 Edge

Hi everyone,

I feel like I am at my wits end. My Edge still has its temp plates on and I see my hood shaking when I go over potholes (im NJ so they're unavoidable...) or when I accel onto the highway around 60-70 moh. I've had it back to the dealer several times and the final answer I recieved, after having their body shop and a Ford engineer look at it- thisbisbthe design of the car, the hood shakes.

I like the car, but every BUMP the hood shakes? anyone else have this problem?

Thanks, Maria

No. It should not shake or jiggle or wiggle. My 09 MKX is rock solid.

There are two adjustable screws with hard rubber caps used to adjust the hood to make the hood set on a solid foundation. They are located one on each side of the engine compartment.

If adjusted up, will provide lift on each side if the hood. Thus will take all sloppiness out and make the hood sit solid when closed.

Simple fix if they still are using this setup on the 2016's.

Edited by enigma-2

Thank you but we did that as well. I had the dealership adjust it and my brother in law that is a mechanic tried that, too. I don't knownwhat to do next. I've had it at the dealership and they claim they had a Ford engineer look at the car and he/she stated this is normal. I refuse to believe it! I have the last report in writing and my next step I think should be with an attorney. Any other thoughts on what this could be?

Thank you but we did that as well. I had the dealership adjust it and my brother in law that is a mechanic tried that, too. I don't knownwhat to do next. I've had it at the dealership and they claim they had a Ford engineer look at the car and he/she stated this is normal. I refuse to believe it! I have the last report in writing and my next step I think should be with an attorney. Any other thoughts on what this could be?

I would suggest having an independent body shop look at it. This shouldn't be that hard to track down. The hood only attaches at 3 points plus the bump stops.

One way around the "it's normal" BS is to have them test another vehicle and see if it does the same thing.

With the hood closed, grab the back above the wipers and see if it moves. If not (and assuming the bump stops have been adjusted correctly) then I'd say you have a faulty hood latch that's not holding the hood tight against the bump stops.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have half of this problem. Didn't notice it at first, but the driver's side of my hood would shake and bounce up and down. But after looking at it closely, there is a noticeable gap between the hood and top of the headlamp assembly, only on the driver's side. The passenger side sits flush, tight and rock solid.

The dealer bodyshop looked at it and agreed (probably a bad stamping) and they will need it for a few days. Now I am concerned as to how it will be fixed, body work? I doubt a new hood ?

I wish I would have noticed it sooner, it is very subtle. When I looked closely at photos I took the weekend after it was bought, you can see the gap, but only if you are looking for it.

Instead of adjusting the stops up, you may need to adjust the latch down to pull the hood down on the stops. at that point you can adjust the stops so the hood gaps are good. I had a friend with a body shop fix this problem in a chevy by putting a block in the middle of the hood and pushing down on the front corners which will bend the hood back into shape. This is a common practice.

• Like 1

I am at my wits end. The dealership is stating there is nothing wrong. They ( the dealership) had a field engineer drive the car ( so they say) and that is a natural characteristic of the car. I just drove on rt287 in NJ and the hood was shaking BIGTIME over any bump I went over. I've already called Ford motor company and they stated since the field engineer drove the car, they can't help me anymore. I feel like crying. I have 2 young kids and don't want them in the car with me. I'm going to call an independent body shop next & give them all the feedback you provided here. This is just horrible. What a waste of money.

Hopefully the independent body shop will figure it out. Take that back to the dealer and to Ford. If you decide to have it fixed by the body shop, keep all documentation for future reimbursement. You will have to pursue Ford, it seems like, though. Which dealer did you go to? There are some friendly dealers mentioned on this forum, if they are close to you, worth going to for a second opinion.

Thank you, I went to Maplecrest in Union. I am most likely going to line up an attorney If the car has been in an accident and the independent auto body repair finds it. If there's anyone on here close in Union County NJ (im willing to travel at this point) please let me know. Thanks everyone, this is so highly upsetting.

Thank you, I went to Maplecrest in Union. I am most likely going to line up an attorney If the car has been in an accident and the independent auto body repair finds it. If there's anyone on here close in Union County NJ (im willing to travel at this point) please let me know. Thanks everyone, this is so highly upsetting.