Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

PTU Oil change

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   drs120new

drs120new

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 13 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:None

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. Our 2007 MKX has never been submerged in water. The deepest puddle we went through was maybe 6 inches. Anyhow, I think I am going to flush the PTU again and refill. Is there any suggestions on how to clean the vent other the flushing 3-4 times?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,117 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

Rear different is also mentioned, don't know about the bearings.

#23 OFFLINE   drs120new

drs120new

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:08 PM

I do have a question for you WWWPerfA_ZN0W. Is there a way to clean the actual vent? Our MKX is still leaking the PTU fluid all over our driveway and garage. The fluid is not as foul as the first time it started however. Would overfilling the PTU (in my case to the bottom of the fill plug) blowout any other seals? Or do you think it is still coming out of the vent. This is SO frustrating, since it didn't leak a drop after I flushed it the first time. The second drain/flush 2 weeks later seems to have done me in. Appreciate any advice you have at this point.

#24 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,117 posts
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

Did you check the integrity of the seal?
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#25 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 7,762 posts
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:29 AM

The vent (AFAIK) CAN be removed, but IDK about putting a new vent on or replacing the old vent.  Someone on this forum may have done it though, I will have to look.  If you do take the vent off, it might be possible to retrofit a Taurus vent extension kit on there so it ends in the engine bay and the risk of submersion is greatly reduced.

• macbwt likes this

#26 OFFLINE   t4thfavor

t4thfavor

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:27 PM

First post here :)

I have a 2011 Edge Sport AWD that just started the PTU belching out the vent. Winter of 2015-16 I opened up the PTU and cleared the nasty oil as best as I could, and refilled with Valvoline 75w140 synthetic. A week ago it started belching the black grease out the vent, so I sucked about 1/2 quart out of it and replaced with the 75W140.

1. Did anyone ever figure out how to get the vent out? I'd like to clean it out as there was some pressure in the PTU when the plug came out.

2. A buddy and I are going to drill and tap the PTU on my Edge Sport and his Fusion Sport soon, is there anything we should look out for?

Thanks,

Chance

• macbwt likes this

#27 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:51 PM

The vent is likely crimped on, and can be removed with a flat head screwdriver.  Try this HOWTO:

http://www.ecoboostp...pic,6849.0.html

Well, we know where to drill on the PTU for the Edge Sport, not sure the same location applies to the Fusion Sport or not, unless someone has opened that unit up and identified the proper clearances.  What year Fusion Sport, btw?  2010-12?  The design does look very similar to that in the Edge/MKX

http://www.ebay.com/...W-/172284755149

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W, 15 May 2017 - 03:53 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:59 PM

First post here :)

I have a 2011 Edge Sport AWD that just started the PTU belching out the vent. Winter of 2015-16 I opened up the PTU and cleared the nasty oil as best as I could, and refilled with Valvoline 75w140 synthetic. A week ago it started belching the black grease out the vent, so I sucked about 1/2 quart out of it and replaced with the 75W140.

1. Did anyone ever figure out how to get the vent out? I'd like to clean it out as there was some pressure in the PTU when the plug came out.

2. A buddy and I are going to drill and tap the PTU on my Edge Sport and his Fusion Sport soon, is there anything we should look out for?

Thanks,

Chance

I would recommend thinking about installing a Fumoto valve with the nipple connector for the drain plug.  This would allow you to use vacuum to suck the fluid out and in turn force the new fluid back in.  No need to remove the fill plug then.  I will say I have not performed this but feel the theory is sound in application.

Edited by macbwt, 15 May 2017 - 07:00 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   drs120new

drs120new

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

2007 Lincoln MKX update:  Flushed and filed PTU for the third time. Still spitting out the vent. Filled with 11 ounces last time. Probably still too much. Fluid is still black but not as nasty smelling or thick as it once was. I will be doing the flush/fill again next weekend and will fill with 10 ounces this time. Sooner or later this has to stop. Car runs great though, but hate the smell at every traffic light/stop sign.

#30 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

Sounds like there is a lot of buildup in there.  Ultrasonic cleaning is really the only way to get it really clean, but ATF could be used as a thinner/cleaner for 1 round of changes.  Do not drive after, just hold the MKX in gear for about 30 seconds to 1 minute (from a cold start), then back to P and shutdown.  Drain out all the ATF/gunk.  Then add PTU fluid.  Repeat a couple more times.  This is an additional step, and you have to do 2 changes the same day, but it may help get the PTU really clean. and stop the venting issue.

• macbwt likes this

#31 OFFLINE   doji_nj

doji_nj

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 30 posts
  • Edge's Year:2008

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:50 PM

2007 Lincoln MKX update:  Flushed and filed PTU for the third time. Still spitting out the vent. Filled with 11 ounces last time. Probably still too much. Fluid is still black but not as nasty smelling or thick as it once was. I will be doing the flush/fill again next weekend and will fill with 10 ounces this time. Sooner or later this has to stop. Car runs great though, but hate the smell at every traffic light/stop sign.

Am in the same boat as you. 2x drain and (over)fill and my 08 still pukes a bit at stop signs after 5 months, or on steep inclines. Still better than a PTU replacement so I just live with it.

• macbwt likes this

#32 OFFLINE   drs120new

drs120new

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:26 PM

Here is another update on my 2007 Lincoln MKX PTU problem. Just finished the fourth flush and fill and the puking started again within 10 miles. I am getting SO frustrated. Has anyone replaced the vent cap with one of those vent kits? If so, would anyone know which kit to order ? Would it be the DB5Z-7034-C or the AG1Z-7034-A ? Also, does the kit include the metal fitting that presses into the vent hole? I can't tell from the kits online whether or not it comes with this fitting. HELP !!!

#33 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:42 AM

You are SURE there is no overfilling, right?  That will cause the fluid to foam and spew out the vent.  The correct fill level for 2007 is about a 1/4 inch below the lowest point of the fill plug.

I believe you remove the existing jiggle vent, and press fit the new vent fitting instead.

This is the part number from the TSB and should fit your PTU

AG1Z-7034-A

http://www.revbase.c...adPdf?id=171259

This vent assembly is for 2013 MY on up, hence the new P/N

DB5Z-7034-C

https://www.fordpart...b5z-7034-c.html

DB5Z-7034-C     Valve Assembly – Vent (Ti-VCT) 
DG1Z-7034-F     Valve Assembly – Vent (GTDI)

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W, 03 June 2017 - 08:55 AM.

• enigma-2 likes this

#34 OFFLINE   drs120new

drs120new

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for the quick response WWRerfA_ZN0W !! It might be geting overfilled, very hard to tell lying on your back. But once it spits out the excess, won't it stop. After 3 weeks of moderate use (approx. 500 miles), only 4 ounces came out. It was puking the crap for 3 weeks. With the vent kit installed, all it should do is creep up the overflow tube when pressurized and back down when cool. This is my theory, which could be wrong.

According to the TSB, they say to remove the PTU. Has this been successfully done in the MKX/Edge without removing the PTU? The only post I see describing the retrofit is for a Taurus SHO. I'm sure the engine compartments are quite different from the Edge/MKX. Anyhow, I am running out of choices at this point.

Again, thanks for the help, and I'll keep you guys posted on my journey !!!

#35 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

No one has added a vent tube on the Edge/MKX that I have seen posted.  FWIW, these are the only PTU mod references I have seen ...

http://www.fordedgef...-12#entry148260

http://www.fordedgef...-13#entry148567

a good photo of the vent from  the_Natrix
http://s159.photobuc...html?sort=3&o=2

• enigma-2 likes this

#36 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:02 PM

It could be that the PTU is getting so hot the gear lube is literally boiling out.

• doji_nj and WWWPerfA_ZN0W like this

#37 OFFLINE   doji_nj

doji_nj

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 30 posts
  • Edge's Year:2008

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:38 AM

It could be that the PTU is getting so hot the gear lube is literally boiling out.

I wont be surprised if that was happening to our Edge too. The fluid, even a few drops would leak onto the exhaust even during 10-15 mins of local driving after 2 R&R over the past 6 months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users