Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

PTU Oil change

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   drs120new

drs120new

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 21 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:None

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:51 PM

I just want to inform anyone thinking about installing the vent kit (AG1Z-7034-A) into an Edge or MKX that the adapter plug that comes with the kit is the wrong size and that the job is a 2+ hour job that you need to work from the bottom and the top. I think if you are investing in that amount of labor, just buy a new PTU from EBAY or Ford online ($700) and have it installed. Make sure that you put a drain plug in before you install so that you can service it periodically.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and mustang289 like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,429 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:18 PM

They found my PUA leaking during a regular oil change. I oked the replacement and it took about an hour an half, total. But I ¤think¤ it requires special tools and a specific installion method.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#43 OFFLINE   drs120new

drs120new

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:18 PM

Good afternoon group,

Here's an update on my Lincoln MKX PTU issue. I took the truck to a highly recommended transmission shop that only does warranty work for local dealers. The owner Pat, is going to replace the PTU as a favor for my regular mechanic that sends him a lot of business. Pat also was nice enough to allow me to purchase the PTU online ($650) and will only charge me 5 hours worth of labor to remove the old unit and install the new unit. I have an appointment next Thursday to have this work performed.

In conversation with Pat, he was telling me that he does at least 2 of these a week. He told me that he could just replace the seal and fill it, but said that there would be no warranty for the work. The seal kit would run me $145 from Ford and he would charge me for 3 hours labor. Given the option of spending $500 more for a brand new part and only 2 more hours of labor, my decision was pretty simple. I got 10 years of service from the original PTU, so hopefully this will be my last one for this vehicle. Also, the part comes with a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty and Pat would warranty his labor for a year.

Hopefully, next week at this time, I will be writing my final post regarding this POS PTU but will monitor this forum if someone needs any advice or any recommendations. Thanks again for everyone that helped through this problem !!!

#44 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,429 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:16 PM

Wow, great deal.

If I were you, I would also consider asking him to drill and tap a drain in the replacement PTU. Still have to drain and refill this unit in the future.
  • macbwt likes this

#45 OFFLINE   drs120new

drs120new

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:40 AM

Enigma, that was the first question I asked and was told it would void the warranty of the new PTU. It was also suggested that I wait until the warranty period is up, and then install the drain. This was fairly easy and I figure I will put on less 15,000 miles in the 2 year period. 

#46 OFFLINE   drs120new

drs120new

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

Good Day My Forum Freinds,

I picked up the Lincoln this morning from Dial Transmissions in Merrick, New York. The owner there Pat, is extremely honest and straightforward to work with. He installed the new PTU that I purchased online for $670, charged me 5 hours labor (at $110/hr), and also flushed and filled my transmission for another $125 including the Synthetic fluid. Total job was just under $1400. I know this is just Day 1, but no smell in the car and he said that my old PTU was totally cooked and was burning up the transaxle seals. I guess I just didn't catch the problem early enough.

I am not too upset going the conservative approach of flush/fill/drain plug and vent kit. I learned a lot from this experience and hopefully folks with this same problem can learn from our posts. I plan to give a 1 month update unless a problem comes up and I will post earlier. I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their summer.

Cheers,

Dean

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and macbwt like this

#47 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,137 posts
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:56 PM

Good luck, hoping for the best!

• macbwt likes this

#48 OFFLINE   drs120new

drs120new

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:19 AM

1 Week Update: Everything working fine. No smells, no leaks and believe or not gas mileage better by 1-2 mpg. Next update - 1 month.

BTW, any suggestions on front struts? I need to replace mine. Strut bearings starting to clunk on driver's side.

#49 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,137 posts
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:38 AM

Bearings, stick with OEM/Motorcraft.  Struts/shocks, Motorcraft stll the best unless you want a firmer ride with KYB.  Not many options out there for the Edge unfortunately.

• macbwt likes this

#50 OFFLINE   drs120new

drs120new

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

One month PTU update:  Everything is fine. No leaks, no smells, and the vehicle actually gets better gas mileage by 1-2 mpg. Anyhow, still need to do the struts. Once that is done, the MKX will be like new and ready to give me another 10 years of service. Be well everyone. Next PTU update, holiday time.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W, omar302 and macbwt like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users