PTU Oil change

Brian K

• 2 weeks later...

PTU is doing just fine, no leaks, smells. Here's a coincidence though; before replacing the PTU, we had been getting roughly 11.3 mpg (mostly local driving) and after replacing the PTU and resetting the computer to relearn everything, we are now getting 14.8 mpg. My mechanic said that the PCM is programmed to adjust for wear and that relearning the system is beneficial when changing anything out in the drivetrain. So far it looks like he is correct.

Ā 

As far as the suspension, I replaced the front struts with everything Motorcraft as per you suggestion and the MKX rides like she is brand new. I am so happy !!

Ā 

I do have another issue though, maybe you guys can help. The 2 front heated seats have stopped working. I can hear the relay kick in, but the sound under the seat stops after 10 seconds or so. I read that the seats have a filter and if they are clogged the heat turns off. Question is, how do I get to the filter to inspect/replace?

Ā 

Cheers, hope everything is well !!!

• Like 1

More data on the heated seats issue: I removed the filters and cleaned them. Not very dirty. Still have the problem. Fan comes on for 5 seconds and shuts down. I tried in the cooling mode and fan runs fine and seats cool down. So, no problem with the filter or fans. Sound like a potential short in the heating elements?

More data on the heated seats issue: I removed the filters and cleaned them. Not very dirty. Still have the problem. Fan comes on for 5 seconds and shuts down. I tried in the cooling mode and fan runs fine and seats cool down. So, no problem with the filter or fans. Sound like a potential short in the heating elements?

The only thing I can help in is stating that there are no heating elements. The heating & cooling effects are achieved using the same Peltier device, one for the seat bottom and one for the seat back (for each seat).

• Like 1

Physically checking, there are 2. One in the seat back cavity & one under the seat bottom. There are no ducts or elements between the two, so no way one device will be working for both. Also, if you turn on the seat heater or cooler, both fans will start.

Ā 

Note: This only applies to the 2011-2015 MKX, the 2011-2014 Edge is different as it does not have seat cooling, hence I believe it has the traditional heating elements.

The seatback doesn't cool better because the Peltier Device is in a closed cavity & the hot/warm air it mostly trapped which causes the device to get warmer air as an intake to cool. Whereas the seat bottom is open towards the floor, so it discharges warm air to the cabin & gets fresh air (cabin temperature) to cool. This is issue has been a major concern with the 2015+ F150 and also 2015+/2016+ Edge & Explorer. probably due to thinner seatbacks. TSBs were issued to revise the seatback device to include a duct/sock to allow for fresh air intake from below the seat. There is also an aftermarket solution that adds two ducts, for fresh air intake & discharge, both to below the seat.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

PTU Update:

MKX rides beautiful so far with new PTU. Hoping to get many more years out of it. At 5,000 miles driven per year, I probably will.

Ā 

Struts & Suspension:

Purchasing and installing brand new Motorcraft struts and bearings restored the factory new ride. No more clunks or rattles.

Ā 

Heated Seats:

Decided not to dig. Not worth the $$ or the effort. I can put up with a cold ass for a couple of months.

Ā 

Cheers Folks and be good. Next update this summer.

• Like 1

Enigma, that was the first question I asked and was told it would void the warranty of the new PTU. It was also suggested that I wait until the warranty period is up, and then install the drain. This was fairly easy and I figure I will put on less 15,000 miles in the 2 year period.

Does the Sport PTU fit - I know it's water under the bridge, but just asking, because it has the drain plug.

Edited by 1004ron

• 6 months later...

One year PTU Update:

Everything is doing fine. 6,500 miles on new PTU and not one problem. Rides like new.

Ā 

Struts/Shocks Update:

Front end feels like the car is brand new. Stick with all Motorcraft and you won't be dissapointed.

Ā 

Guys, You have been great. This forum rocks !!!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Posted this in AllWheelDrive\AWD section, but thought it's also appropriate in this thread on 2008 Ford Edge PTU issues.

Thanks to Bucknewby plus several other videos & forum threads,

while doing latest 3yr\33kMile Oil changes for the front PTU & rear Differential on my wifes 2008 Ford EdgeSELAWD,

installed modifications noted+pictured below to ease servicing the PTU.

~ Drilled+Tapped PTU AluminumCase bottom; installed new 0i375\0m010ThreadDiameter DrainValve Fumoto#f124n.

~ Removed PTU top Vent JiggleCap+Rubber1Way (used 5/8"Socket+ScrewPick); reveals 3/8"HoseBarb; installed 3/8"ID Fuel\Oil Hose upto new OilCatchCan on FireWall.

~ Replaced PTU side FillPlug with 1/2"PipeThread~3/8"HoseBarbElbow; installed 3/8"ID Fuel\Oil Hose upto new OilCatchCan on FireWall.

~ Installed new OilCatchCan\Tank + VentFilter + 3/8"PipeThread~3/8"HoseBarbElbows2ea on FireWall upper lip, between FuseBox+Battery.

The Filter+Strainer fittings inside the OilCatchCan are not required, thus were removed & not used.

Now easy to drain Oil from PTU & refill at OilCatchCan top Plug: 1/2qt=16oz AmsOil#75w140.FullSyn + 2oz ATP#at205\ReSeal.

Also wrapped ExhaustPipe under+near PTU with FiberGlassInsulation to help reduce it's operating temp.

Considering trouble others have had & how black oil was, may do PTU Oil change with Engine Oil change every 6mths\5kMiles.

2008.Ford.ESEL_Tran.PTU~_ModA.Valv_0i375oDia~24MNPThrd~0i375Barb_Fumoto.f124n.GIF

2008.Ford.ESEL_Tran.PTU~_ModB.Vent_0i375iDia~0i625oDia.GIF

2008.Ford.ESEL_Tran.PTU~_ModC.Fill_0i500oDia~14MNPThrd~0i375Barb.GIF

2008.Ford.ESEL_Tran.PTU~_ModD.Tank_0i375iDia~24MNPThrd~0i375Barb.GIF

Edited by DILLARD000