Some questions about the 2016 Edge

ben senise

I just traded in my 2009 AWD Liimited for a 2016 AWD Titanium. Since I really didn't want to pay for all the options they have on the vehicles in stock, i had to go with a factory order. I've been poring over the ordering guide and brochure and browsing through this forum and searching the web but i am still left wondering about a few things. Mostly just things i'm curious about so not really important. would be happy for any info you could share with me.

here goes:

• is the shark fin only on vehicles with nav and/or sirius? (i'm assuming that's where the gps and/or sirius receivers are.)
  • does the edge have a spare tire or just a can of goop and a pump?
  • is the heated steering wheel same as the standard non-heated wheel? (except for the heating of course)
  • i thought the 2016 steering wheel felt smaller (overall diameter) than on my '09. is it smaller or was that just my imagination?
  • does the AWD 3.5 have the automatic start-stop feature? (buying guide seems to imply that the only model that doesn't have it is the SE 100A AWD)
  • the order guide lists "LED Tail Lights with Light Bar" on the Titanium model. does that mean that the SE and SEL don't have that? if not, are the tail lights incandescent bulbs? and does the light bar simply not light up or is it not there? i can't find any pictures of Edges without that bar.
  • the order guide also lists "Mechanical Stripe Aluminum Appliqué & Metal Plated Accents" under the Titanium "Interior" section. What trim is that?
  • Is the camera button still on the console (above the CD slot to the right) if you don't have the front camera? if so, does it show you the view from the rear camera or does it just not do anything?
  • what about other buttons for options i didn't get like the advanced park assist or AC for the seats? is there no button or are they non-functional blank buttons?

I can answer some of these but easier from a PC than my phone. Quick reply to bump your post though. All steering wheels are the same, steering wheel is a hand me down from the fusion.

The buttons for parking etc, are on the cupholder and yours will be a different trim piece.

A big one that all SE and SEL members hate to hear, YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE LED MIDDLE LIGHT BAR! Yes all your tails are LED.

The Titanium comes with a trial of Sirius so the Shark Fin should be there to stay.

I believe a spare is included. Was with my 2016 Sport. I was also concerned about the Goo. Just go to a dealer and look!

I believe only the turbo 4 has the start/stop feature.

That is all I think I know. If I ever think I know more I will post. :drool:

thanks very much for the replies. my local dealer doesn't have any new edges at this location. i'd have to drive to another dealer to see them. i might do that one of these days if i find myself near a dealer with lots of stock.

i'm really looking forward to getting this new model. i liked my old one but this new one is much more sophisticated in terms of functionality and comfort. things like the foot activated rear hatch are fantastic. i don't know how many times i've walked up to the car with bags in each hand only to have to put them down and find my key. rear-view camera, keyless entry, etc. all make everything a bit smoother.

I just traded in my 2009 AWD Liimited for a 2016 AWD Titanium. Since I really didn't want to pay for all the options they have on the vehicles in stock, i had to go with a factory order. I've been poring over the ordering guide and brochure and browsing through this forum and searching the web but i am still left wondering about a few things. Mostly just things i'm curious about so not really important. would be happy for any info you could share with me.

here goes:

• is the shark fin only on vehicles with nav and/or sirius? (i'm assuming that's where the gps and/or sirius receivers are.)
  • is the heated steering wheel same as the standard non-heated wheel? (except for the heating of course)
  • i thought the 2016 steering wheel felt smaller (overall diameter) than on my '09. is it smaller or was that just my imagination?
  • does the AWD 3.5 have the automatic start-stop feature? (buying guide seems to imply that the only model that doesn't have it is the SE 100A AWD)
  • the order guide lists "LED Tail Lights with Light Bar" on the Titanium model. does that mean that the SE and SEL don't have that? if not, are the tail lights incandescent bulbs? and does the light bar simply not light up or is it not there? i can't find any pictures of Edges without that bar.
  • the order guide also lists "Mechanical Stripe Aluminum Appliqué & Metal Plated Accents" under the Titanium "Interior" section. What trim is that?
  • Is the camera button still on the console (above the CD slot to the right) if you don't have the front camera? if so, does it show you the view from the rear camera or does it just not do anything?
  • what about other buttons for options i didn't get like the advanced park assist or AC for the seats? is there no button or are they non-functional blank buttons?

I thought that only the FWD version had the auto stop/start (ie, once you got AWD, no soup for you). But I may be mis-remembering or misreading the website/brochure for the Titanium Turbo (non-sport model)

I thought that only the FWD version had the auto stop/start (ie, once you got AWD, no soup for you). But I may be mis-remembering or misreading the website/brochure for the Titanium Turbo (non-sport model)

The order guide confirms auto start/stop only on the FWD SE 2.0LEB - not on the SEL or Titanium 2.0LEB engines.

here goes:

thanks again for the comments ladies and gents. having done some more sleuthing B) i think i can answer some more of my own questions.

it appears that there are no blank buttons for options that you don't have. i found photos online of the center stack for cars that didn't have the front camera or the self-parking or the cooled seats and there were no blanks in their place. i really dislike having blanks there to remind me that i was too cheap to pay for those features.

the other thing that i found was that the shadow black is not at all metallic like the 2015 tuxedo black. shadow black is much blacker. i couldn't detect any flake but there did seem to be some depth to it. the car was dirty so i couldn't really see but my guess is that a freshly waxed shadow black edge will be gorgeous.

i looked at the difference between the interiors in the SE, SEL, and Titanium and the Titanium seemed to have more bright trim as per question 7 above.

so now i'll just be waiting for my edge to arrive. going to be a long wait i can see!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm scared to ask what you're pressing the button with if your hands are full.........

Yes I know you're kidding but I had to quote someone...

Yeah it is kinda crazy to think ahead and have the key in your hand before you actually need it.

How many times have you actually walked to a car with your arms so full you couldn't unlock the car and if they were that full do you think the average idiot could then stand on one leg and wave the other under the car?

My wife was so excited to have this feature and I'll tell you she can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Edited by DRbillZ

Yes I know you're kidding but I had to quote someone...

Yeah it is kinda crazy to think ahead and have the key in your hand before you actually need it.

How many times have you actually walked to a car with your arms so full you couldn't unlock the car and if they were that full do you think the average idiot could then stand on one leg and wave the other under the car?

My wife was so excited to have this feature and I'll tell you she can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

It's more a matter of knowing that I don't have to take out the fob in the first place - just grab and go. It also works for taking the groceries out of the trunk - you don't have to keep one hand free to close it. Kicking is not that hard.

Why do you have to put down features that other people find useful? Why can't you just say you don't like it or don't want to use it and leave it at that?

• Like 1

Not putting them down. Just pointing out facts people don't think about. Hands free to close? It has a button on the hatch so you don't have to stand on one foot and wave the other like an idiot. Lol. Yikes.

Our first Edge was bought back by Ford, low option SEL with the 3.5L V-6 AWD, prettiest shade of Ruby Red. Our second Edge is Bronze but has $2500 more options. The power hands free rear hatch is a MUST HAVE! Wife & I use it all the time. I grab all the bags of groceries and can still find a finger to press the close button. The hatch slowly closes securely and latches. The first Edge you really had to slam the hatch to get it to close without throwing a "Hatch is AJAR" message. Sometimes had to slam it twice! Have never had that with the newer Edge. We got HomeLink & GPS too, and the $1000 polished wheels which is a total ripoff.

Ford did the fold down rear seats right in the Edge right too. Our old 2003 Mountaineer had fold down seats too, but you had to open both rear doors and manually fold them, then move back to the rear hatch. In the Edge, a switch easily reached from the rear releases each rear seat and they fold down. Big time and energy saver.

I really liked the Ruby Red car, but the extra options on the bronze car can't be beat!

here goes:

got my edge and thought i'd post the answers to my own questions in case anyone in the future wonders about the same thing.

• i didn't get Nav and still got the shark fin.
  • there is a spare tire and it's a mini
  • heated steering wheel is the same with or without heating.
  • don't know about diameter but after driving my own rather than the demo, it feels about the same as the '09
  • no auto start/stop on my 3.5 liter V6
  • don't know about the tail lights on the SE and SEL
  • don't know about the interior trim
  • no camera button without front camera
  • no blank buttons anywhere for options that i didn't purchase.
  • Like 1

I sometimes think I'm the only one who genuinely loves the foot-activated tailgate. I never use my remote unless I already have it in my hand.

I use it once in a while. Nice feature.

But it does have it bugs. Like yesterday I'm walking around the car with the fob in my pocket and it activates. Luckily I wasn't in the garage or that could have been ugly.

And I've also had it start to close on me while loading stuff in.

... Like yesterday I'm walking around the car with the fob in my pocket and it activates. Luckily I wasn't in the garage or that could have been ugly...

I truly lucked out a couple weeks back... I thought that there was no way that I could open the hatch while the vehicle was parked in my garage with the garage door open, (not a problem with the garage door closed) but I was not thinking while preparing to load up the Edge for a fishing trip. I did the foot wave and walked off to grab a couple of fishing rods when the "fire" of reality hit me like a lightening bolt. :doh: I knew that the hatch should reverse if it strikes something, but it did not reverse. I knew it was one of two things. I had been incredibly lucky, (a rare occurrence for me) or that the feature did not work that day. It turns out that it missed hitting the retracted garage door by a whisker. I think if the vehicle had been parked several inches more to the left or right the garage door section hinges would have been contacted by the hatch. Needless to say I felt like I dodged a bullet that day and hope I don't repeat that thoughtless act.

Edited by Chipster