I find that it's nothing more that a film on the windshield and oxidized blades. Windshields tend to accumulate and oil film from the road, and the film attracts dirt to stick to it. The blades have to streak across this film. Cleaning the windshield will help. Vinegar is good for this, cheap too.

Blades, being rubber exposed to the road grime, salt and sunlight tend to develop an oxidation, making them lose some of theur flexibility. I wipe mine with a eyeglass cleaner wipe. Same wipe you use for your sunglasses. Clean your sunglasses then clean your blades. The alcohol will remove the oxidation film.

This should stop any squeeking.

• Like 1

I should of been more clear that it was more of a metallic squeak than anything else.

Perused the YouTube vids and came away with oiling the pivot point and spring on the arm of the wiper. Did run a bit of oil down the shaft of the wiper (under the main nut), but I think it was more a case of a rusty hinge than anything else. Have some more rain coming this week, so I should be able to really test them.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Final update.

On the passenger side arm, there is a spring that holds the arm against the windshield. It's the joint that bends when you want to lift the arm away. Anyhoo, when the arm is in the down position, the post side of the spring extends out and makes contact with the glass. I tried using pliers to squeeze the spring back, but that didn't go well, so I wrapped the area with electrical tape until I can get to the dealership to buy a replacement arm.

I poked around to get an idea as to what an arm would cost, but most listings are for the rear arm, not the front. I'm going to be guessing in the $25-$30 range. If it's more than that, I'll try to get a part number and do some deeper digging.