2016 Ford Edge Sync3 does not work with Google Voice Search Samsung S6

I have been using my Samsung S6 phone with my 2013 Ford Edge with Sync. Yesterday I traded in my 2013 and purchased the 2016 Ford Edge which now has Sync 3. The Google Voice Search on my phone does not work unless you turn off bluetooth. Contacted Ford through the website and they said there was no work around. Can the developer of the Ford Sync talk to the developer of the Sync3 and allow the Google Voice Search feature to work without turning off bluetooth? It's disappointing that a 2016 Ford vehicle has gone "backwards" in terms of connectivity with android phones. Pllease help!!!

Are you asking about the Google Voice Search? If so, it is Google's answer to Siri. Worked perfectly fine for three years on my 2013 Ford Edge now it does not work on my 2016 Edge with Sync3. Google Voice Search is active on more than 1.4 billion cell phones. The only answer the online support team gave me was to switch off bluetooth every time I wanted to use it. Then I would need to switch bluettoth back on to use my phone. That is very distrcting while I am driving and just not reasonable. Here is the post from the Sync support team.

After further research I found information on Android Auto online. It is available on Sync3 2.0. I have auto updates set to "on" and my system is still running Sync version 1.0. Can you help me find a way to manually download Sync3 2.0 and install via USB possibly/

Thank you for responding to my post!

post-40946-0-36945500-1462030900_thumb.png

Edited by Edgex007

Are you asking about the Google Voice Search? If so, it is Google's answer to Siri. Worked perfectly fine for three years on my 2013 Ford Edge now it does not work on my 2016 Edge with Sync3. Google Voice Search is active on more than 1.4 billion cell phones. The only answer the online support team gave me was to switch off bluetooth every time I wanted to use it. Then I would need to switch bluettoth back on to use my phone. That is very distrcting while I am driving and just not reasonable. Here is the post from the Sync support team.

After further research I found information on Android Auto online. It is available on Sync3 2.0. I have auto updates set to "on" and my system is still running Sync version 1.0. Can you help me find a way to manually download Sync3 2.0 and install via USB possibly/

Thank you for responding to my post!

Hi Edgex007,

SYNC 3 latest software version is 1.0. An update to add Android Auto will be available later this year: media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2016/01/04/sync-apple-carplay-android-auto.html

I also recommend getting your voice heard on our Social site: Social.Ford.com

Shaay

Edited by FordIVTteam

I had Sync in my 2013 Ford Edge. It's frustrating that the programmer of Sync3 would change the programming so now I am stuck with a phone where voice search doesn't work with my new Ford. Worked beautifully for three years over bluetooth with Sync.

When will Sync3 version 2 be released?

I'm pretty sure they didn't sit around and say "what feature can we remove that will piss off Edgex007?"

Maybe that interface had to be completely re-written for Android Auto so it wasn't worth doing by itself. Or maybe there is a compatibility issue. That's just software development 101. I'm sure there was a good reason for it and it should be fixed within a few months with full blown Android Auto.

iPhones don't have to work for 20+ years.

Plus, I don't recall Apple announcing any new features or even the existence of a new iphone until the day of the press conference. Everything you hear before that is just rumor.

Edited by akirby

OH boy - I away for awhile and same old stuff... We get it-- phones update fast- ie new models & new software...cars do not- that said...

the slowness of auto industry (from the car buyer perspective not the IT programmer perspective) is clearly seen...

We UNDERSTAND auto can never be as fast as phones for updates ....but the expectation is YOU GOTS TO DO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU ARE.

removal of features is clearly seen... promise of features that were expected before- on older sync & older MFT ... demanded NOW on a new release is still frustrating to hear -not now later -in year & as we saw with MFT later in year can be later next year & oops with released with unintended consequences that demand another wait period for the next release...again as would be said---- programming 101- but on phones & PC that next hot fix is FAST compared to a car were it is 6 mth or a year later -

• 1 month later...

Akirby,

Your answer was very condescending. Does Ford actually pay you to "help" customers?

"I'm pretty sure they didn't sit around and say "what feature can we remove that will piss off Edgex007?"

Maybe that interface had to be completely re-written for Android Auto so it wasn't worth doing by itself. Or maybe there is a compatibility issue. That's just software develoopment 101".

WOW FORD!!!

I'm pretty sure they didn't sit around and say "what feature can we remove that will piss off Edgex007?"

True... I'm waiting for the "it's a safety issue and there should be a recall" comment to come next. :stirpot:

Maybe that interface had to be completely re-written for Android Auto so it wasn't worth doing by itself. Or maybe there is a compatibility issue. That's just software development 101. I'm sure there was a good reason for it and it should be fixed within a few months with full blown Android Auto.

Considering that SYNC 3 had to be rewritten for a completely different operating system, it's not at all surprising that some features could be missing or function somewhat differently. Blackberry's QNX is a UNIX-like system with a multi-part kernel that divides functions into separate servers. The original SYNC from Microsoft was based on a version of Windows CE which uses a single kernel. Operating system calls are very different between the two, forcing a substantial rewrite of the code.

Akirby,

Your answer was very condescending. Does Ford actually pay you to "help" customers?

"I'm pretty sure they didn't sit around and say "what feature can we remove that will piss off Edgex007?"

Maybe that interface had to be completely re-written for Android Auto so it wasn't worth doing by itself. Or maybe there is a compatibility issue. That's just software develoopment 101".

WOW FORD!!!

Nothing condescending about it. You implied that some programmer just took out that code and I was trying to point out that's not how it works. I don't work for Ford but I do have 30 yrs experience in IT so I know how software and software development works. Sorry if you were offended.

Even with 30 years of IT experience you can make false assumptions. I never implied that the programmers removed code. If you were to ask me, I would have said they just never tested it long enough to make sure it works with Android phones. My friend just bought a 2016 Ford Escape has a newer Samsung phone and is having the exact same issues.

. I never implied that the programmers removed code. If you were to ask me, I would have said they just never tested it long enough to make sure it works with Android phones.

You said they changed the programming.

It's frustrating that the programmer of Sync3 would change the programming so now I am stuck with a phone where voice search doesn't work with my new Ford.

I'm sorry but I'm a very literal person. If you say they changed the code then I assume you mean they changed the code.

You said they changed the programming.

I'm sorry but I'm a very literal person. If you say they changed the code then I assume you mean they changed the code.

I said they made changes to the programming. It is apparent when you turn on the car and access Sync3 that it is different. I had Sync in my 2013 Edge and now my 2016 Edge is Sync3. I never implied, as you suggested that they "removed" ie. deleted any code.

I accessed this forum to get assistance, not to be debated on my language.

Have a nice day.

Bluetooth also disconnects 100% of the time when I am on a call with Sync3. Did not have this problem two weeks ago with my 2013 Ford Edge w/Sync and the same android phone.

Have you upgraded to the latest os for Android? Believe it's called "marshmallow", came out earlier this month.

Usually phone/car problems can be traced to the phone needing an upgrade.

Have you upgraded to the latest os for Android? Believe it's called "marshmallow", came out earlier this month.

Usually phone/car problems can be traced to the phone needing an upgrade.

Thank you for your suggestion. I do have Marshmellow on Verizon 6.0.1

• 1 month later...

What happens if you hold the voice command button for 2-3 seconds? (May be a little longer)

When my phone is connected this activates Siri instead of sync lady. I also have a button on screen if I go to the Phone section of the screen. I know you probably don't have the touch button, but the long press of voice command steering wheel button may still be able to recognize you are trying to get to your phones voice search instead of the cars