Bang and rattle when shifting out of park on incline

07 Edge 3.5L AWD 127k miles

When I have the Edge parked on an incline and shift out of park, the load dissipates and a loud "clunk" is heard as usual when reverse engages. However, this clunk continues to reverberate sometimes until i move off of the incline. It's almost like a tinny rattling sound, like something is bouncing around the front end of the vehicle once the transmission is in gear. The transmission also makes a strange sound in reverse, like a very quiet ticking when backing up an incline.

As mentioned above, you really should learn to use the parking brake to take the strain off the parking pawl. I've been parking cars on steep driveways for half of my life so I just do it without even thinking about it now.

1) Stop where you want to park. 2) Hold your foot on the brake pedal. 3) Push the parking brake pedal down as far as you reasonably can. 4) Put it in park. 5) Let go of the regular foot brake.

When you leave: 1) Foot on brake to start it. 2) Put it in D or R. 3) Release the parking brake. 4) release foot brake and drive away.

The goal is to have the parking brake hold majority of the vehicle's weight, not the parking pawl.

Edited by IWRBB
  • Like 1

I know when you park on an incline WITHOUT the E brake, the car is basically resting on the parking pawl so shifting out of P will give you a clunk. This is why when I park on an incline, I always engage the E brake FULLY before shifting into park.

I have had an issue in the past where there as some extra vibration from the front end when reversing with moderate throttle and reversing uphill. This was due to a worn engine mount.

• Like 1

As mentioned above, you really should learn to use the parking brake to take the strain off the parking pawl. I've been parking cars on steep driveways for half of my life so I just do it without even thinking about it now.

1) Stop where you want to park. 2) Hold your foot on the brake pedal. 3) Push the parking brake pedal down as far as you reasonably can. 4) Put it in park. 5) Let go of the regular foot brake.

When you leave: 1) Foot on brake to start it. 2) Put it in D or R. 3) Release the parking brake. 4) release foot brake and drive away.

The goal is to have the parking brake hold majority of the vehicle's weight, not the parking pawl.

I *always* use the brake JUST enough to keep the car from resting on the parking pawl.

Edited by mcali6301