Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

chirping sound outside when I take off from a stop

chirping sound brakes ujoints suspension

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   timesaver

timesaver

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:01 PM

2013 Ford Edge Limited with 85,000 miles. I hear a chirping sound when I take off from a stop.

Just one simple "chirp"  Any ideas what is causing this?

Thank you

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   luminator

luminator

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 78 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • Edge's Year:2015

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

Your tires spinning?

#3 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,846 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:16 PM

Light throttle?  Heavy throttle?

FWD or AWD?

#4 OFFLINE   timesaver

timesaver

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:42 PM

It happens if I pull away fast or slow. No spinning tires. I can be driving down the street

and slow down for traffic then accelerate and there is the chirp. It is the same sort of sound

the walk/don't walk signs make if that helps.

FWD

#5 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 7,845 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:11 PM

The walk/don't walk signs in my area beep ...  could be brake pads are a bit loose?  When did you last have brake work done?

#6 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,846 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:06 PM

Does it only happen after touching the brakes? What if you slow down without the brakes then accelerate again?

#7 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,199 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:44 PM

Sounds like it's part od the chassis/suspension system. At a stop, the car stops with the nose dipping. Starting up, the nose lifts and the suspension shifts. I would begin by looking at the torsion bars, front struts, etc. Try bouncing the front end (while parked) to see if you can recreate the squeek. Could be as simple as a bushing getting hard and needing a little lubrication.

#8 OFFLINE   timesaver

timesaver

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:47 AM

I have had brakes done probably in the last 6 months. (I'm not exactly sure, but I do take my car in for regular maintenance, to the Ford dealer)

This morning I did slow down and then accelerate and it did not happen.  I did not accelerate quickly.

I notice the sound is only on the the front passenger side.  I need to have somebody stand outside and listen.  I remember

getting something done with the shocks, I think last fall.  I feel like this car has way too many issues for the age.  96% of my driving is freeway.

I have had 6 Explorers & Mountaineers combined so I'm not just trying to bag on Ford.  My next car will probably be an Edge again.

I'll try bouncing the front end.  Thanks and let me know if anybody has any other ideas.  Hard to take to the dealer by y house since they are open less hours than I work.  I don't trust the Ford dealer in the city I work in.

#9 OFFLINE   knickerbocker

knickerbocker

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 172 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

Do you have a turbocharged engine?  Sometimes when accelerating quickly I can hear the turbo spool on my 2.0 EcoBoost.

#10 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,199 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:36 PM

Do you have a turbocharged engine?  Sometimes when accelerating quickly I can hear the turbo spool on my 2.0 EcoBoost.

Your turbo "chirps" when you accelerate?

#11 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,428 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:33 PM

Not really much to go on so I will make a SWAG.  1. Belt either serpentine or power steering.  2. Sway bar link broken and you hear but it would be more consistent in noise.  3. It is a loading issues so more than likely a suspension related issue check LCA bushings, strut bearing but no way to check them unless you bounce the Edge.  Mount GOpro under the suspected area and drive around you might get luck to catch it.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#12 OFFLINE   knickerbocker

knickerbocker

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 172 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:11 AM

Your turbo "chirps" when you accelerate?

Not a constant 'chirp' but you can definitely hear the turbo go 'pewfffff' when hitting the accelerator hard.

#13 OFFLINE   4doorharley

4doorharley

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:34 PM

Any update on this? Our 2011 (124k miles) sport is doing this pass side also. Thought was brakes, replaced, still there. Found bad sway bar bushing due to leaking power steering filter, replaced, still there. End links were good at that time also. Im stumped Lol.

#14 OFFLINE   ckoerner

ckoerner

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:52 PM

I had my 2011 in a few times until they figured this one out. It was a clip on the axle. All they did was lubed it up. I have about 10,000 on it now since they did it. Seems fine. Mine would make a chirping sound when starting from a stop. It sounded like a quick metal on metal chirp.

#15 OFFLINE   Mgavin1985

Mgavin1985

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:30 AM

Could possibly be and most likely is your torque converter on your transmission is it vibrating under acceleration and do you hear any noise once you go from stopped to acceleration.

#16 OFFLINE   Mgavin1985

Mgavin1985

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:35 AM

When the torque converter is failing the engines power is not smoothly transferred through the transmission and into the wheel. The shaking is caused by your engine on its mounts and when you feel it you think it is a suspension or tire balancing issue. Looks up torque converter issues. If you only get the shaking under acceleration you have your answer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chirping sound, brakes, ujoints, suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users