What attribute do you use to determine when you need to re-apply wax?

I was wondering which tell, or visual cue you use to determine that it's time to re-wax or re-apply whatever it is you use to protect your vehicle's exterior. If we can come to a general consensus on this question I want to suggest a test where you use whatever it is that you use now and time / weather test it against others that may want to participate. The test area will involve using only one specific area on our Edge and will make for an interesting product comparison. First though, when do you re-apply whatever it is that you use and why? Anyone game for this?

Edited by Chipster

a lot of variables to your test. some people just apply wax, some people wash/clay/cut/polish/glaze/wax

But that was the point Nick. I wanted to see what lasts and what doesn't. Does all that work you listed enhance the longevity of the protection, or is it only good for an unspecified duration appearance enhancement? I thought we could at least come up with a "tell" for the need for re-application of product. Looks like there is not much interest anyway... :doh:

Edited by Chipster

Water beading/sheeting is the most commonly used tell sign that I know of.

That's what I use too!

then climate, vehicle garaged or not garaged...My products don't last that long here in Hawaii. It get rained on every night and the sun bakes the rain every morning into waterspots on the roof. Then when I drive it slings orange clay all over the car....rough out here!

Exactly, but what I had in mind was using the rear hatch / window spoiler as the test panel. Just a non-scientific seat of the pants sort of thing that could use a "water beading" test on a small panel that gets the worst of ultra-violet and weather attack. (like the rest of the horizontal panels roof and hood) People could use whatever they want, of course it would be subjective, but it might be fun. Product(s), preparation, and garaged or not would be considerations to note. I have wondered if the size of the beads of water actually indicate anything regarding a products protection factor?

Beading and sheeting is my tell tale sign.

But of course not every product bead and sheets the same. And just because it isn't beading/sheeting, doesn't mean your paint isn't protected.

Also if you throw a coat of wax on a car that hasn't been prepped, the wax won't adhere as well.

Throw that same coat of wax on a car that was prepped 6 months ago and chances are it will last longer (Given both cars are in the same environment).

Throw that same coat of wax on a car that was prepped the same day, chances are it will last longer than both above.

There are a million factors when it comes to how long a product lasts.

For me I just don't take the chance of getting to the point of no protection. So in the spring I'll do a good clean, quick clay, and apply a sealant (Opti-Seal). After a few days top that with a aqua-wax. I always wash with ONR (which has a version with a wax in it) which I feel leaves a layer of protection also. Then I'll hit it with a spray wax every month or so (Sometimes just using it as a drying aid). Come fall I'll clay, polish, seal, and use a wax like collinite that'll last through the winter when hand washes are sometimes hard to get to.

• Like 1