How to wash the roof?

I use a step ladder and I also do a rinseless wash so it goes like this:

1. Start toward drivers rear and wash from middle to rear.

2. Move ladder closer to front.

3. Wash from middle to front and top half of drivers side windshield.

4. Get down and wash lower half of drivers side windshield.

5. Dry windshield. Dry front half of roof.

6. Move ladder back to 1st position.

7. Dry rear half of roof.

8. Repeat on passenger side.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions! The Werner Work Platform seems to be a good choice for this kind of work, since you can step back and forth on the platform without having to move it like you would a ladder. The thing is damn expensive though.

I'd like to wash my own vehicle once in a while, at least while the honeymoon lasts :) I might just pay for hand car wash if I find my effort is not really worth it though.

Thanks for the suggestions! The Werner Work Platform seems to be a good choice for this kind of work, since you can step back and forth on the platform without having to move it like you would a ladder. The thing is damn expensive though.

I'd like to wash my own vehicle once in a while, at least while the honeymoon lasts :) I might just pay for hand car wash if I find my effort is not really worth it though.

Try this. Take something like a swifter you use on the floor. Put a wash mitt on it. Wash the roof that way without using a ladder or step stool. Wrap a towel around it...and dry it.

Actually it's a good question. Washing the roof is a challange, especially if your short(er). (And by the time you hit you late sixties, you're going to be shorter. lol)

I grown tired of hand washing; when I do I usually fire up the ol pressure sprayer and make short work of it. But only for the wife's convertible as she refuses to run it through the car wash. As I wrote earlier, I run mine through the local car wash every week. Gets detailed every other year, but that's starting to get a tad expensive.

On my wife's Sebring convertible roof, I use a 3-step, step stool I bought at Costco. Light, easy to lift and move and tall enough. Has a nice plastic shelf that folds out to hold the soap bucket, too.

Pressure washer makes short work of it. Foam the car down with soap, let it set and then power rinse it off. Finish with a gallon of distilled water sprayed on using the soap dispenser, and no water spots.

Edited by enigma-2

Yea I'm gonna have to get a cheap step stool.

As for the wash itself, we are having severe drought here in San Diego (CA in general). Not sure if they'll give me a ticket if I use a hose to wash a car, but I don't want to waste water anyway. So Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax is on the way. I'll probably have to rinse the car before doing the actual wash though, but still water is saved compared to a fully traditional wash. I think with rinseless wash, if I try standing on the door step I might be able to reach and cover the whole roof since there's no water to make a mess.

By the way the vista roof on the Edge is magnificent.

Yea I'm gonna have to get a cheap step stool.

As for the wash itself, we are having severe drought here in San Diego (CA in general). Not sure if they'll give me a ticket if I use a hose to wash a car, but I don't want to waste water anyway. So Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax is on the way. I'll probably have to rinse the car before doing the actual wash though, but still water is saved compared to a fully traditional wash. I think with rinseless wash, if I try standing on the door step I might be able to reach and cover the whole roof since there's no water to make a mess.

By the way the vista roof on the Edge is magnificent.

No need to pre-rinse the car when using ONR. Unless you were mudding they day before.