Recommended tire pressure?

BoogieEngineer

Unless you're carrying a full load, I would keep it at whatever the sticker says.

Over-inflating causes the tire to ride up in the center tread and it will cause more wear to occur there.

Not to mention it will hydroplane more easily, give a rougher ride and easier to lose traction on gravel.

There's a reason the manufacturer puts that rating there.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

It's kind of like a balloon pressed down on a flat surface like a tabletop. Press too hard (more load) and it flattens more on the sides (more wear on the edges). Inflate it too much and the center makes more contact, less on the sides.

I should also have mentioned that running over-inflated causes road wander, your always having to correct the steering to stay straight. Properly inflated and you have the most tread on the road, making the car run straighter.

The rating on the sidewall of the tire is the maximum inflation pressure permissible for that tire and should never be exceeded for long.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

Never seen an over inflated tire wear in the middle. I've HEARD of it happening. Never seen it. I've run 40-44 in the VWs for years and they always wear perfectly and have no traction problems. Not saying the Edge won't as I have 350 miles of experience with it so far.

I've seen under inflated wear on the edges however.

Wander? Some call that responsive :)

Edited by DRbillZ

Never seen an over inflated tire wear in the middle. I've HEARD of it happening. Never seen it. I've run 40-44 in the VWs for years and they always wear perfectly and have no traction problems. Not saying the Edge won't as I have 350 miles of experience with it so far.

I've seen under inflated wear on the edges however.

Wander? Some call that responsive :)

I did deflate the tires from 40 to 37 last night. I noticed a smoother ride this morning, and a little less (barely noticeable) road wandering. Not sure how this affect mpg. I've read that running 3-4psi above manufacturer's recommendation can increase mpg a tad.

As long as the pressure is above 35, the tires are not under-inflated, correct? Or is it something about the tire's spec? I just don't want to do damage/excessive wear to the tires, even when a little rougher ride is the tradeoff.

Ford determines the best cold pressure for both performance and fuel economy. It's safe - the TPS warning won't go off until you drop to around 26 psi. Even 30 would be safe for normal driving but mpg would probably suffer. 35 or 37 is fine. I wouldn't go below 32 or above 40.

Just curious, but why do you need to inflate your tires so often running at 35psi?

I'm on my 2nd '13 Sport and live in New England so have a wide range of road temps and run mine at 34lbs and have rarely ever had to add air. I check regularly and they run a couple of lbs lower on cold roads, and a couple of lbs higher in the summer even on the highway. Both favorable conditions and have gotten even treadware on both