Sync 3 2016 upgrade to CarPlay

I found this on Fords site. Anyone know just what hardware and cost would be? I thought it was going to be a software update

Note: Apple CarPlay is available on 2017 model year Ford vehicles with compatible SYNC 3. Owners of 2016 model year Ford vehicles with SYNC 3 are required to perform a software upgrade and purchase a hardware upgrade to use Apple CarPlay. Please check back on the Ford Owner site this summer for more information about these upgrades

Just saw that as well. From all of the news releases Ford seemed to imply that it was only a free software upgrade. The salesperson that just sold me my 2016 Edge was under that impression as well. Had I known it was going to cost money to upgrade I would have gladly waited to purchase my new vehicle.

Very disappointed Ford.

Thanks Ford team

Any approximate release date? And I don't see CarPlay mentioned on the 2017 Escape under build and price. Will that be the same update?

Hi tpm419419,

I'm unable to speculate on an exact release date. CarPlay & Android Auto will be available on all 2017 vehicles, starting with the all-new Escape. According to the Build and Price site, it looks like SYNC 3 is an option on the SE and Titanium.

Shaay

Could be a USB 3.0 port vs an existing 2.0 port. Not sure why they wouldn't just include it with all sync 3 vehicles from the beginning.

It's possible they thought 2.0 would work but testing showed problems.

I'd be surprised if that's the case. My old Pioneer AVH 4100 NEX has USB 2.0 only and it supports Apple Carplay.

I am quite surprised that Ford would charge customers for that based upon previous press releases. Hopefully they'll relent. It makes no sense to me why they'd need to do a hardware upgrade unless they planned really poorly. It's not like Carplay was only introduced in 2016 by Apple.

• Like 3

Is it possible to upgrade my 2011 Edge for Carplay? My iPhone 5s would read text messages for me but my iPhone 6s will not. Thanks for your help!

They have not announced CarPlay for sync or MFT yet - it's possible.

You need to go into the sync connection on your iPhone and turn notifications back on.

Jnu

Like akirby said

In your phone, under Bluetooth settings, find Sync for your car and at the exclamation point in a circle (Sync -!- ) if I remember right you click on that to enable notifications

CarPlay is for Sync 3 only from everything I've read. Different hardware

Nevermind. found it here :

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/sync-3/android-auto/sync-3-plus-android-auto.html?year=2016&model=Edge&sync=sync3

Note: Android Auto is available on 2017 model year Ford vehicles with compatible SYNC 3. Owners of 2016 model year Ford vehicles with SYNC 3 are required to perform a software upgrade to use Android Auto. Please check back on the Ford Owner site this summer for more information about this upgrade.

So I am good. No new HW required for Android Auto :-)

Edited by luxpow