Sync 3 2016 upgrade to CarPlay

Might be something to go between the USB port and the iPhone to convince the iPhone that the USB host is a genuine charger else iPhone will refuse to charge.

Or something on those lines.

Iphone charges just fine and it works fine with siri eyes free and as a media player. If there is an added module then it's for apple security.

Interesting - I still think it must be a usb port upgrade. I'll see if I can find out.

It would make sense in that one would think that would be the only connectivity piece required (ie, what/how else does one connect an iPhone?)

It would *not* make sense, IMO, from a planning stage given that my 2 year old (maybe more, I have to dig up the receipt from Amazon) Pioneer head unit (I have the 4000 NEX, not the 4100 as I previously state--that's the one that does AA) fully supports Carplay (although I do not know if it supports the iPhone 6s, I'll have to check).

So it could be more of an iPhone 6.x compatibility issue vs. carplay itself. If it is truly carplay, then Ford really screwed up this one (IMO) because it's been well documented (how else can third party aftermarket head units have supported carplay for all this time) and didn't plan well (it's not like Ford didn't know they wouldn't be doing Carplay in Sync3, and if they knew it required say USB 3.0, then why on earth would they leave it out when they had a bunch of press releases a while ago that it would support it)?

Thanks

So technically I beat you to it. Do I get a prize?

Could be a USB 3.0 port vs an existing 2.0 port.

With some digging on the Escape forum I found that it may actually need a USB module

Depends on how "technical" you want to get, but ok I'll give you that one. :)

If it were a cellular modem than the 2016 would be able to use the remote app ( Ford Pass ) to start, lock, unlock the vehicle. Just like the 17 Escape I would think. I don't know of anything else the Escape would have to differentiate it.

Just my opinion but kind of makes sense

If it were a cellular modem than the 2016 would be able to use the remote app ( Ford Pass ) to start, lock, unlock the vehicle. Just like the 17 Escape I would think. I don't know of anything else the Escape would have to differentiate it.

Just my opinion but kind of makes sense

That's exactly it - should be the exact same hardware as the 2017s.

• Like 1

I have seen Ford adds on the 2016 Edge showing remote start/stop and lock/unlock functionality. Anyone know how this works? I can't find it in the owners guide. Per the ads it looks like an App on the phone.

I thought it was already an option on the 2015/2016 but you had to buy some sort of like $500 remote start/security kit for use with the Ford Smartphone app. But I thought I saw somewhere here (look in the remote starters forums) that you could pick up the security/starter kit thingy cheaper elsewhere.

According to my sources it's a new usb module. Should have more details in a day or two.

The price on the 2016 module is $27 so it doesn't look to be an expensive upgrade.

I'm still surprised. Poor planning on Ford's part, IMO. Other vendors (after market head units) have had carplay support for years. Still makes no sense to me why Ford couldn't have included it. It's not like Carplay just came out. I double-checked and my 2 year old Pioneer Head unit supports iPhone 6s carplay (albeit with a firmware update). no USB module, etc. If Pioneer knew about it 2 years ago, still makes no sense to me, why Ford was incapable of putting it into a vehicle that they *knew* was going to support carplay.

I'm still surprised. Poor planning on Ford's part, IMO. Other vendors (after market head units) have had carplay support for years. Still makes no sense to me why Ford couldn't have included it. It's not like Carplay just came out. I double-checked and my 2 year old Pioneer Head unit supports iPhone 6s carplay (albeit with a firmware update). no USB module, etc. If Pioneer knew about it 2 years ago, still makes no sense to me, why Ford was incapable of putting it into a vehicle that they *knew* was going to support carplay.

My experience with things like this in the IT world is that it was either a supply issue - the parts they needed weren't available from their supplier at the time - or more likely they have something that worked on paper and in early testing but failed with certain apps or certain conditions.

It would be hard to believe that they would simply overlook something like that. I've had dozens of similar conditions where you look at the end result and think "how could you have missed that" when the answer is we didn't miss it, there was a sequence of 4 or 5 unrelated things that happened that led to that result.

The other possibility is that this is an upgrade or change that everyone will need at some point in the future and Ford decided to get it out of the way early.

Many of the traditional automakers are playing it too safe with software updates for infotainment. Take a look at Tesla, who roll out software updates and 'beta features' all the time to customers to try out.

Ford could easily set up a developer program where any interested (and knowledgeable) customers can try out new features and provide feedback. I'm currently involved with many startups as a beta tester and working on projects at work that deliver incremental feature updates to a subset of users prior to global releases.

It's called Agile development, and it's nothing new. Really hope Ford can deliver more updates to Sync 3 as this millennial is getting bored.