Sync 3 2016 upgrade to CarPlay

Many of the traditional automakers are playing it too safe with software updates for infotainment. Take a look at Tesla, who roll out software updates and 'beta features' all the time to customers to try out.

Ford could easily set up a developer program where any interested (and knowledgeable) customers can try out new features and provide feedback. I'm currently involved with many startups as a beta tester and working on projects at work that deliver incremental feature updates to a subset of users prior to global releases.

It's called Agile development, and it's nothing new. Really hope Ford can deliver more updates to Sync 3 as this millennial is getting bored.

Somewhat disagree with what you said. Ford has made many updates to its MyFord Touch since late 2010 ( in the 2011 model ). They were too soon in releasing it but I was somewhat impressed that they had steady updates to where it's actually a pretty good system. I was there from the very beginning and it was horrible Edited by tpm419419

Somewhat disagree with what you said. Ford has made many updates to its MyFord Touch since late 2010 ( in the 2011 model ). They were too soon in releasing it but I was somewhat impressed that they had steady updates to where it's actually a pretty good system. I was there from the very beginning and it was horrible

MFT/Sync2 was a learning experience for Ford. The decision to switch to Blackberry QNX as many other automakers have was a smart one. Microsoft Sync didn't have the ecosystem buy-in and therefore was stuck with limited support for new feature development but overall stability has definitely improved to Ford's credit.

QNX and Sync 3 have a lot of competition in the marketplace from automakers and tech companies. The promise of regular updates hasn't materialized yet as Ford hasn't released any updates yet I still remain hopeful. We are spoiled by all the technology and we expect that new features will be added regularly as Apple and Android have accustomed us to.

• Like 1

Somewhat disagree with what you said. Ford has made many updates to its MyFord Touch since late 2010 ( in the 2011 model ). They were too soon in releasing it but I was somewhat impressed that they had steady updates to where it's actually a pretty good system. I was there from the very beginning and it was horrible

MFT/Sync2 was a learning experience for Ford. The decision to switch to Blackberry QNX as many other automakers have was a smart one. Microsoft Sync didn't have the ecosystem buy-in and therefore was stuck with limited support for new feature development but overall stability has definitely improved to Ford's credit.

QNX and Sync 3 have a lot of competition in the marketplace from automakers and tech companies. The promise of regular updates hasn't materialized yet as Ford hasn't released any updates yet I still remain hopeful. We are spoiled by all the technology and we expect that new features will be added regularly as Apple and Android have accustomed us to.

You think Ford should already be releasing updates for sync3? It's only been out a few months. I understand Agile development and that works great for some things but I don't want to see weekly or monthly updates because I think you need more thorough testing. Quarterly updates would be better.

With carplay and android auto the updates should shift to the apps where you can do more frequent updates.

• 2 weeks later...

You think Ford should already be releasing updates for sync3? It's only been out a few months. I understand Agile development and that works great for some things but I don't want to see weekly or monthly updates because I think you need more thorough testing. Quarterly updates would be better.

With carplay and android auto the updates should shift to the apps where you can do more frequent updates.

Yes - I think Ford ought to plan to regularly update SYNC 3 - for sure.

I've found the system works well in most circumstances, AND there are certain things like NAV that definitely need ongoing development. I had my 16 out for the first real road trip to VA this past week and found some real flaws that were not present with SYNC2. In two places that I found (Athens, Ohio, and Lexington, VA) the map data did not exist. The system reported an announcement about 'entering an area without map data - proceed with caution'. I know for a fact that SYNC2 worked fine in Lexington previously, but the new system does not work in that area. In both places I discovered this error - we were not talking about new areas, these were well established areas without new construction.

That seems to indicate to me that coding needs to be updated.

Yes - I think Ford ought to plan to regularly update SYNC 3 - for sure.

I've found the system works well in most circumstances, AND there are certain things like NAV that definitely need ongoing development. I had my 16 out for the first real road trip to VA this past week and found some real flaws that were not present with SYNC2. In two places that I found (Athens, Ohio, and Lexington, VA) the map data did not exist. The system reported an announcement about 'entering an area without map data - proceed with caution'. I know for a fact that SYNC2 worked fine in Lexington previously, but the new system does not work in that area. In both places I discovered this error - we were not talking about new areas, these were well established areas without new construction.

That seems to indicate to me that coding needs to be updated.

That's not code - that's map data. It's possible Ford changed map suppliers with sync 3. Either way map updates come from the map supplier, usually once a year.

That's not code - that's map data. It's possible Ford changed map suppliers with sync 3. Either way map updates come from the map supplier, usually once a year.

Hmm - no word on a map update for this system...

We also found that around Columbus we were incorrectly directed around some construction zones that were not really problems - they amounted to 'works in progress'. I used my phone and Google Maps for more accurate routing.

I am really looking forward to the update to Android Auto.

Hmm - no word on a map update for this system...

We also found that around Columbus we were incorrectly directed around some construction zones that were not really problems - they amounted to 'works in progress'. I used my phone and Google Maps for more accurate routing.

I am really looking forward to the update to Android Auto.

The only way Sync knows anything about construction is from the data it gets from Sirius. It's certainly not as reliable as data from Google maps, but you have to blame Sirius, not the Sync system.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just touching on this, the representative at my dealer said Android Auto will work natively over USB with the 2016 Edge (as long as you have the software update of course). Apple CarPlay will require some proprietary Apple adapter as a go-between over USB. He said "$50" for that adapter. That's all I know! Hope it helps.

JC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be curious if it requires the Sync Connect system (which looks like it may or may not be an option on the '16 Edges), or if it's a 30$ USB add-on. Seeing that Android Auto is moving more towards wireless connectivity, it will be interesting if this is just a 'stop gap' until Carplay can also run over wireless as well.

I'm hoping more details are released soon! Also hoping we can get a word on updated Maps as well, they are seriously out of date...

Sync connect refers to the inbuilt modem and related features like Fordpass which allows you to lock/unlock/start etc. the car from your smartphone.

It has nothing to do with Apple Carplay or Android Auto.

Ford Edge will support Carplay or Android Auto only via USB. I have not seen any news of they working over WiFi/Bluetooth.

• Like 1

The next iPhone may change that so it can be wireless. If not this year, next year. At first Siri had to be hard wired to work in the car and than he software was updated to work wirelessly

Wireless Carplay is already a part of ios 9 (was in 8.3 but got pulled, not sure if it's pre-9 or not), and on my iPhone 6s. However, I think only 1 or 2 auto vehicles even have that ability--I could've sworn I saw a list somewhere, but having trouble finding it. I don't think anything AA "wireless" has been enabled yet.

Yeah thats what I am saying. Phones will get the wifi option definitely. If not via a software update in out current phone then in a new phone altogether.

It is easier to buy a new phone than a new Car.

So the question is whether Sync 3 equipped Ford Edges will ever support wifi carplay/android-auto via a SW update only.

And I think its too early to ask as since we dont even have the USB flavor yet.

Atleast the following article suggests it should be a simple SW update but only Ford can confirm how true it is for Sync 3 on the Edge.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/11700174/android-auto-update-wi-fi-support-ok-google-io-2016

I'll be curious if it requires the Sync Connect system (which looks like it may or may not be an option on the '16 Edges), or if it's a 30$ USB add-on. Seeing that Android Auto is moving more towards wireless connectivity, it will be interesting if this is just a 'stop gap' until Carplay can also run over wireless as well.

I'm hoping more details are released soon! Also hoping we can get a word on updated Maps as well, they are seriously out of date...

Hi maherj,

Luxpow is correct! SYNC Connect is separate from those features and will not be available on the 2016 models through any upgrade option. Apple Carplay will require a USB connection and is not compatible over Wi-Fi. You can read more about how it works here:

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/sync-3/apple-carplay/sync-3-plus-apple-carplay-support.html

Joy

• Like 2

Yeah thats what I am saying. Phones will get the wifi option definitely. If not via a software update in out current phone then in a new phone altogether.

It is easier to buy a new phone than a new Car.

So the question is whether Sync 3 equipped Ford Edges will ever support wifi carplay/android-auto via a SW update only.

And I think its too early to ask as since we dont even have the USB flavor yet.

Atleast the following article suggests it should be a simple SW update but only Ford can confirm how true it is for Sync 3 on the Edge.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/11700174/android-auto-update-wi-fi-support-ok-google-io-2016

Since Ford couldn't even plan properly for WIRED carplay, I highly doubt they'll have wi-fi via software only. My understanding is that it *might* work with some aftermarket head units that have a wi-fi chipset in them, but even Pioneer's latest unit (last time I checked) couldn't do wi-fi carplay.