Sync 3 2016 upgrade to CarPlay

I have called twice about the download failure message. I now have two ticket numbers but no software or answers.

I did get my new USB module installed. I ordered it from Walt Sweeney Ford. After installing I would get a message "USB hubs are not supported. Please remove.". I did a Master Reset which stopped that message.

When I started my car earlier today, SIRIUS downloaded and installed an update. I now know that my WiFi connection is doing something. :)

My Sirius updated as well this morning but not sure that comes from wifi? I keep hoping that when I pull into my driveway that the download icon on my screen starts showing something...

My Sirius updated as well this morning but not sure that comes from wifi? I keep hoping that when I pull into my driveway that the download icon on my screen starts showing something...

My sirius also got updated this morning. I am sure that came from a satellite as I wasnt connected to wifi that time.

Interestingly, there was no option for me to approve or deny that upgrade.

Sirius Updates, are channel description and number updates...they are not feature or software. They actually happen regularly. Also Travel Link can be updated in the same manor. Either way, you get them...no matter what. They are Not done over Wifi.

PM if you want the most recent file from Ford, the "production/release" version of 2.2, and I can send you a file link.

I have not heard any person get it over Wifi. In the descriptions on the Owner site, it does not mention WiFi directly to the car as an option to receive this update, it only mentions the update via download to USB.

Has anyone got install instructions or even better a video on installing the HC3Z-19A387-B module, or is it something best done by a Ford dealer?

If it's anything like when I removed my old USB/AV module when upgrading my 2012 Edge (and 2014 Fusion) to Sync 3, it literally pulls right out with little force. Then you just unclip the two harnesses and plug them in the new one and snap it back in place. I was able to take mine out just by grabbing it and tugging. If that doesn't do it, just pry it out with something flat headed.

Edited by zrt8355
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

No need to have the dealer do it... they were going to charge me $100. Simply used a plastic pry tool, or a narrow (1/4") flat head and carefully pry from within the cubby. Use the top lip and bottom. It will take force but will pop. Took all of five minutes to replace mine. Give it a shot. Cheers, Bruce in Victoria

• Like 1

Thanks Bruce. I have my car going in for a few minor warranty issues anyway, and since I just don't have time these days to do it's myself, I figured why not have them do it.

So I guess you answered my question though, the dealers are able to do the upgrade now? Hardware (hub) and software update?

No need to have the dealer do it... they were going to charge me $100. Simply used a plastic pry tool, or a narrow (1/4") flat head and carefully pry from within the cubby. Use the top lip and bottom. It will take force but will pop. Took all of five minutes to replace mine. Give it a shot. Cheers, Bruce in Victoria

So you did this from INSIDE the unit? Not behind, or pulling any parts out, etc?

Edited by Laurlaur576

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SYNC3 3.0 is not officially out. There has been no upgrades released for it from Ford. If you choose to install what is floating around be careful. Some of the initial packs did not have the proper NA files.

When I released 2.2 that was from an official update.

Agree. I myself am going to wait to see if it’s updated via WiFi

For any of you that have upgraded the usb module to the CarPlay compatible one....

Do you all still have USB devices, BT stereo, iPad, etc, listed as devices under "entertainment" in the instrument panel cluster to the right of the steering wheel?

If I put in my ipad (yup, still have one), it shows up on sync 3 and the information is displayed in the IPC, however, it does not show up as a connected device (only Sirius, am/fm and CD).

• 2 months later...

When upgrading the USB module, and to Apple CarPlay, does the iPhone sound any better over bluetooth? Or does being connected through the USB port mean that the phone will work through the USB, rather than bluetooth? Also, does the latest Sync update allow better control over the Sony audio system?

I transport vehicles as a part time gig. The newer cars with Airplay, I simply plug my iPhone in using a lightning cable and have full access to audio and telephone functions without setting Bluetooth up. This is great as then I do not have to go through the various connect options on different cars and figure out the delete when I deliver them, much easier to have AirPlay cars.

I would think the audio becomes hard connected rather than streaming, perhaps the phone too; airplay overtakes Bluetooth.

The Sony stereo in these Edges is awful. I can not believe how poor they are compared to any other vehicle same years, 2016 in my case. It is truly disappointing and actually takes the car down as a complete package. It’s a comfortable, content-rich car, useful car, but the sound system is so muddy and yucky. My fault for assuming that thought would have been put into the audio system rather than slapping a brand name and some base-line speakers whereeevr they could fit.

If anyone appreciates good audio, the Edge will disappoint you.

Happy 2018 all, good health and relations is more important than our Edges!

After reading people’s opinions on this forum and others regarding the Sony system, along with my own loathing of it, I returned the Edge I bought last Friday. I can’t see spending $30,000 on a vehicle with an unlistenable radio. One shouldn’t have to replace speakers, or disconnect speakers, or look on eBay for an older amplifier to get a decent sound.

After reading people’s opinions on this forum and others regarding the Sony system, along with my own loathing of it, I returned the Edge I bought last Friday. I can’t see spending $30,000 on a vehicle with an unlistenable radio. One shouldn’t have to replace speakers, or disconnect speakers, or look on eBay for an older amplifier to get a decent sound.

We've tried to tell you over and over that your stereo was defective because the Sony radio - while not the best - is not anywhere near as bad as yours sounded.

I don't understand why you wouldn't try to get that problem fixed but I guess that's all water under the bridge now. Good luck.

• Like 1

After reading peoples opinions on this forum and others regarding the Sony system, along with my own loathing of it, I returned the Edge I bought last Friday. I cant see spending $30,000 on a vehicle with an unlistenable radio. One shouldnt have to replace speakers, or disconnect speakers, or look on eBay for an older amplifier to get a decent sound.

lol don't let the door hit you...