2007 SEL Transmission Issue(s)

Brucifer

And, what is this part number?

Nope. Nope. Nope.

I know I'm being tested. I've been sworn to secrecy and threaten with expulsion from this forum if I divulge any information. There is a shady 2013 Edge SEL with blacked out windows sitting across the street from my house. Every time I walk over to confront them, it drives off only to return a half hour later in the same spot.

IF you were to slide up to your local Ford Dealer parts man, ask for a spark plug kit WHILE doing the correct combination of signals, you might get 6 coils, 6 plugs and intake gaskets all in one box. Approach the counter directly, but lean on the counter with your left elbow and your left palm flat on the counter top. Angle your body away from the counter at a 45 degree angle. When the counter person asks what you need, wink three times with your left eye, ask for the spark plug kit for your year Edge, then, with the tip showing, rapidly flick your tongue from side to side of your mouth until the counter person walks off your get your parts.

Plans are to ship out the PCM next Friday, replace the coils over the weekend, then wait for return postage.

There is a knocking at my front door.....I have said too much.......

• Like 3

Slight update.

Made a miscalculation as to shipping and keeping the car down as short a time as possible. The idea was to send it overnight today, they process and send it out tomorrow and I get it Monday morning. Read the fine print and they send out the day after processing, so that would mean it would actually ship Monday and get to me Tuesday-ish. Even with overnight both ways, it's a 3+day event (Ship->Receive/Process->Ship Back->Receive Back). That, and budgetary constraints, I'm pushing everything back two weeks. I have my box, know where the shipping center is and when they close, have my copper anti-sneeze....All I need to do is a YouTube refresher course on getting at the rear coils.

I can't be sure, but it does seem to be running a bit rougher now with what seems to be a dip in mileage. I'm taking this as a good think as it hopefully means that the coils/PCM are failing and all this expense will make everything good again.

I can dream, can't I?

• Like 2

Slight update.

Made a miscalculation as to shipping and keeping the car down as short a time as possible. The idea was to send it overnight today, they process and send it out tomorrow and I get it Monday morning. Read the fine print and they send out the day after processing, so that would mean it would actually ship Monday and get to me Tuesday-ish. Even with overnight both ways, it's a 3+day event (Ship->Receive/Process->Ship Back->Receive Back). That, and budgetary constraints, I'm pushing everything back two weeks. I have my box, know where the shipping center is and when they close, have my copper anti-sneeze....All I need to do is a YouTube refresher course on getting at the rear coils.

I can't be sure, but it does seem to be running a bit rougher now with what seems to be a dip in mileage. I'm taking this as a good think as it hopefully means that the coils/PCM are failing and all this expense will make everything good again.

I can dream, can't I?

You sure can dream and while doing so here is some incentive.

• Like 1

First time around, I had to watch for a) the bracket bolt hidden underneath the firewall insulation, B) the electrical connector from the PCV valve to the underside of the intake manifold, and c) the clamp on the brake booster vac hose to the manifold. The rest was straightforward.

Having a 6-10 inch extension for your ratchet will help get the plugs out faster. I used one of those wobble extensions that has the spark plug socket built into it, but you don't have to. Also I hope the boots on the coils release properly. You may want to take your time swiveling those coils, not exerting too much pressure at one time, till they pop off the plug. Have a set of pick tools or needlenose pliers handy, you can get the LONG ones from Harbor Freight; in case a boot gets stuck on. Mirror MAY help, a strong light always does.

• Like 2

First time around, I had to watch for a) the bracket bolt hidden underneath the firewall insulation, B) the electrical connector from the PCV valve to the underside of the intake manifold, and c) the clamp on the brake booster vac hose to the manifold. The rest was straightforward.

Having a 6-10 inch extension for your ratchet will help get the plugs out faster. I used one of those wobble extensions that has the spark plug socket built into it, but you don't have to. Also I hope the boots on the coils release properly. You may want to take your time swiveling those coils, not exerting too much pressure at one time, till they pop off the plug. Have a set of pick tools or needlenose pliers handy, you can get the LONG ones from Harbor Freight; in case a boot gets stuck on. Mirror MAY help, a strong light always does.

Plugs were done 30k ago, so hopefully nothing is locked up since then. I love me my lubricants when playing with electrical.

Since I have a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast, a video run-through won't hurt. I think my spark plug socket is still black taped to the extension. Might have to check that to make sure it hasn't softened up.

• 1 month later...

Sending the PCM off for testing ($125). I guess they slap it into another Edge and drive it around to see if they have the same issues, then go from there. Sucky part is they are going to hold onto it longer than I hoped unless it wonks out at the start. At that point they can see if it's something fixable or something replaceable.

Edited by Brucifer
  • Like 2

I would assume they would have benchtesting routines that obviate the need for a vehicle to be present.

I would think so, too. You would think that they have a giant UniVac machine to plug these things into to run simulations. OLD SCHOOL, BABY!

Replaced the front and rear banks and got the intake bolted back down. Took the throttle body off to clean it - didn't seem that bad. Didn't have a replacement gasket for it, so I gave the metal a light sanding, put a *light* smear of grey gasket material on the body and reversed the gasket. Never plan on taking it apart again...

When I took the intake off , there was a small amount of oil around the intake holes. I'll try to get the image off my phone later. I'll put the rest together tomorrow.

• Like 1

Valve body / valves/ springs and balls. Maybe new valve body.

Not going down the rabbit hole anymore. 3-4 slip is still there and the only other option is replacing the entire valve body with a 'new' one. Cost of that, along with R&R, makes it's not worthwhile at this point in time.

Slip is bad for now as PCM is relearning everything. Should settle down in a bit.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

• Like 2

Not going down the rabbit hole anymore. 3-4 slip is still there and the only other option is replacing the entire valve body with a 'new' one. Cost of that, along with R&R, makes it's not worthwhile at this point in time.

Slip is bad for now as PCM is relearning everything. Should settle down in a bit.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

Average vehicle life is a little over 11 yrs so maybe? .........upgrade.

• Like 1

Not that I am actively searching, but if I come across a '07 and up 6F50/6F55 Solenoid Assembly & Valve Body that's a deal, will any FoMoCo one work? If magic happens, the idea would be to have it rebuilt and have it in a box in case funds come up for replacement.

This would be the last time I want to crack the tranny case.