STALLING! Dreaded Stalling while in Motion on Dennis' 2015 Titanium

Well, there were two MAJOR issues i fretted about when researching the 2015 Edge.
One was the Flooding due to sealing the pillar. Second was the stalling issues.

Saturday afternoon when getting ON an interstate ramp my car stalled and my dashboard lit up with all kinds of errors.

I pulled over. Turned it off and restarted. WHEN i restarted it sounded almost as if it was not going to start at all. Like an old old old truck just struggling to turn over. It did and the rest of that day went fine.

Sunday (yesterday) i was out doing an errand. When i turned into my neighborhood (20mph speed limit) the car did it again. Here is what i noticed. If you dont pull over and restart then the car will drive at 20-25 mph. You can goose the gas pedal but nothing happens. The car 'autopilots' at 20-25mph. I even came to a stop. When i took my foot off the break the car accelerated UP to 20-25 mph.

See that here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o67XIUPwmb8&feature=youtu.be

When i pulled up to the garage the Edge idoled very oddly. Puttering loudly and oddly. Loud enough that it was noticable. See a video here when went from a dead stop to pulling into my garage. Listen to the engine sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfyjz2mMETE&feature=youtu.be

So this morning i wake up knowing i am taking it to the service department. On my way into work it stalled TWICE! The second time triggered the check engine light that stayed lit.

Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Opw85ZCAWg&feature=youtu.be

The service department at my dealership had not heard of these problems. Sigh... so hopefully this wont be weeks/months of guesswork. Having read on these forums that ford had bought a couple of these edges back because they could not fix the problem NOW really concerns me. I have only 8800 miles on this Edge.

IF a FORD rep is on these boards still...i would greatly appreciate them getting the big wigs at ford involved as they have done for others.

Dennis

Good question and i dont think i know the answer off hand.

I watched these forums closely during my time of purchase and had read that if they were MFG'd after July/August of 2015 the issues were resolved. I drove my salesman and sales manager nuts as we vetted each possible car. I wore them out till we found one that fit exactly what i wanted. I even had them check to see if the TSB had been flashed. Mine was manufactured in October of 2015. Needless to say the issues have not been solved.

I will see if i can find what engine my car has. I suppose a VIN search will tell me, right?
What is the ford website that can search the VIN? ANyone know?

I found it!

Here is the skinny on my edge.

Build Date: 15.10.2015
Vehicle Line: Edge 2015-
Body Style: 5 Door SAV
Version: Series 60
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6 Petrol TI-VCT
Transmission: 6 Speed Auto Transmission 6F50
Drive: LHD FWD
Axle Ratio: 3.16

Sounds like a problem with the electronic controls/sensors, I think in other cases they did troubleshoot that + the wiring to no avail. Almost like failsafe mode? Could be the throttle body, could be TSS/OSS sensors, just about anything. Fingers crossed the dealership finds something simple like faulty wheel speed sensors or loose connectors at the PCM. You can try contacting the Cust Svc reps @FordService on Twitter.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12199-2011-edge-limited-driver-door-ajar-issue/page-6?do=findComment&comment=152337

EDIT: If you wanted to try your hand at diagnostics, I would get a program like ForScan up & running on a smartphone/tablet, pair it with a Bluetooth OBD adapter, read any codes, and log as many parameters as I could for engine/trans, hopefully to catch the event happening.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Got it back and it seems fine. Of course i am now hypersensitive to every thing my engine does...but that will pass.

What still gives me the brain pain is this....if the TB was going wonky...then why did the car go to 'autopilot' and idol at 20-25 mph? Is that a safety feature? Is that just the TB getting stuck in a sweet spot?

Its been years since i have had a car get funky on me...but back in the day when something went out...it went out!

I dont suppose i know enough about what a TB does but is it by design to maintain a slow cruzing speed?

D

I do not have the answer in this particular case, but for a long time, when an electronic sensor stopped working properly, the PCM (or ECU) has been programmed to have a fallback, default value/behavior. Not unlike jumper settings on older computer motherboards, now pretty much jumperless, but same logic. Today, they might call it the "limp-home" mode. If the engine overheats, for example, then the PCM is programmed to run the V6 like a V3 (?) basically and use air cooling to save the engine.

Thanks to WWW and Old Ray for this info.

'Limp home mode', makes sense....and aptly named.

I will copy and paste the link Old ray sent me to the service adviser to see if they know if the Throttle body is new stock or old crap sitting on the parts shelf.

Wonder what cruddy supplier in a 3rd world country Ford sourced for these throttle bodies?

Probably Mexico, quite a few parts come from there. Again, as far as the customer is concerned, it's still Ford's responsibility regardless of parts origin. They should've QC'd these things better. The same factory can produce widely different quality of parts, depending on their customer requirements. Contrary to what the modern generation believes, not everything can be managed remotely, gotta have some handson time, and sweat the sweat.

Wonder what cruddy supplier in a 3rd world country Ford sourced for these throttle bodies?

Well, that part number shows applications for 2015-2016 3.5 V6 in the dealer catalog. Doesn't say when an A part went to a B part.

On EBay, the A part shows applications for 2011-14 Explorer, Edge, Flex, F150.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-12-13-14-EXPLORER-EDGE-FLEX-F-150-THROTTLE-BODY-ASSEMBLY-AT4Z9E926A-/222105436388

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W