STALLING! Dreaded Stalling while in Motion on Dennis' 2015 Titanium

• 1 month later...

I just got my 2015 Edge in Feb 2016 due to my sport trac being totaled out in a side impact accident. It is already in the shop to have the throttle body replaced. It only has 4600 miles on it. I've read online that this has been a problem going back as far as 2007. I am now on the fence about my new vehical already being in the shop.my replacement part is on back order for a week or more.

Edited by Melody Clinton

• 2 months later...

I find this thread about "throttle body" problems, and "limp home mode" quite fascinating because I recently experienced this problem on my 2012 SEL FWD 205A 3.5 V6. It was the 13th Warranty service I experienced with the vehicle which pushed me over the edge, so to speak! They couldn't duplicate the problem, but ended up replacing the TB "due to problems the dealership had seen on other vehicles". I've put on about 2,000 miles since the replacement, and haven't experienced any problem in that period. I loved my Edge; the ride, the size, the comfort, the mileage. It just had too many minor problems cropping up at inconvenient times.

So, I ordered a new 2016 Titanium AWD 300A 3.5 V6 which I'm picking up today. I like what I've read about a new design for the TB. And also what I've read about the Power Transfer Unit redesign on AWD equipped Edges. Thanks for the info. You Edge owners are the greatest!!!

Would be good if it really is a software issue. Not so good if it is a hardware issue covered up by a software patch.

What typically happens is there is some temporary condition or borderline sensor reading that causes the software to go into failure mode. That's why restarting the vehicle usually fixes it at least temporarily. What they do is change the thresholds or timing so that the temporary problem or borderline sensor reading that isn't really a fatal error doesn't trigger a failure. It's like fine tuning the sensitivity on a backup sensor so that you don't get false readings. So it's not necessarily "covering up" a hardware problem.

• Like 1

The issue is caused by some contacts in the throttle body getting dirty causing increased electrical resistance. There are more than one model year and model affected but yet some get a replacement and some get reprogramming. I am paraphrasing but that is the gist of it. Come to your own conclusion.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Can you point me to the information on the redesign PTU? My 2008 AWD had PTU issues and I'm hoping those have been worked out with my 2017 AWD.

. I like what I've read about a new design for the TB. And also what I've read about the Power Transfer Unit redesign on AWD equipped Edges. Thanks for the info. You Edge owners are the greatest!!!