Good(easy) way to check transmission fluid level?

DRbillZ

• 7 months later...

It seems only the 2.0 EB has performed the vanishing act on the transmission dipstick.

My 2000 Lincoln LS V8 did not have a transmission dipstick. We all thought it was some great new transmission feature that it never needed fluid replacement. Nope - the transmission engineer told us that there simply wasn't room in the engine bay.

Also - it was just cost savings then no vehicles would have them.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/29/2019 at 6:01 PM, JTW said:

The transmission is vented on top. Otherwise it could start to leak from seals due to pressure build up when oil heats and expands. My 2013 has a yellow plastic vent on top that can be pulled off and fluid added.

care to snap a picture? I've been looking for an easier way to add fluid to the transmission and haven't found one yet.

On 2/1/2017 at 5:49 PM, NYT said:

Other manufacturers doing this too?

Our 2009 Toyota Matrix didn't have a dipstick for the tranny fluid.  Yes was a little weird at first since the last car, the motorcycles (Harley) and our semi truck all had dipsticks, but never had any problems with our Toyota other then a squealing belt that had to be changed every two to three years.    

• 4 months later...
On 2/25/2020 at 6:46 AM, Elciteeve said:

care to snap a picture? I've been looking for an easier way to add fluid to the transmission and haven't found one yet.

My 2013 edge has the fill cap located just between the battery, engine block, and air filter. Its sort of under / between the filter and battery, just next to the transmission mounts.

On 5/31/2016 at 4:23 PM, akirby said:

If it's leaking you'll see it. It won't be a surprise.

In the past this was done simply because there was not enough room in the engine bay.

i know this post is old but i bought a 19 edge 9 mon ago and other day i lost power in trans and turned out had trans leak somewhere wasnt on ground either so you cant say you will see it cause i didnt

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/31/2016 at 3:59 PM, DRbillZ said:

So how do you know if you have a leak? Isn't that what a dipstick is for?

I know how to check it now but it's quite idiotic to have to remove a wheel, remove wheel well liner. Pull the check bolt and see if stuff runs out.

I mean seriously?

Where did you get your instructions for the level plug? Maybe you have to do all that on a fusion, but on the Edge with the 2.0 when you turn the steering wheel all the way to the left there's enough clearance to take off the level plug without removing anything but that bolt. It isn't as easy as a dipstick, I'll give you that, but it isn't all that hard either.