Which sensor? ABS, Stability, Wrench on/off.

I have a 2009 Limited AWD with 180,000 miles. In the last few weeks, the antilock are going off on dry pavement with firm (not super hard) braking. It doesn’t happen all the time. Today I was driving about 40mph (and not braking) and the ABS light went on. I looked down about 20 second later and the stability light was on as well as the wrench light. I stopped at a store, started again, and only the wrench light was on. Now all are off.

I had similar issues a few years back going 80mhp. Turned out a “toner” (I know I have the wrong name for it) ring was cracked (the ring the abs sensors read on each wheel). When I would go fast enough, all lights came on and would all go off when I slowed down.

Anyhow, my guess is I have a ring or sensor issue. I know the ODBII reader won’t tell me which wheel is having the issue. Anyway to tell without taking it to the dealer? Thoughts? Do any of the auto stores read these codes? Mac, throw me a bone here.

You should be able to at least get under there and look for a physical defect (broken tone ring or missing tooth or even something caught in between the teeth. IF that is not fruitful it could be the sensor is bad so check it (them) at this point you would need to check for ground and power. After that you could check using a scan tool equipped with a scope but that is getting above and beyond the average DIY'er and diagnostics. Sort of suck since if it is a tone ring the only way to get a new one is by purchasing a new axle.

• Like 1