Traction Control Light Will Not Turn Off

BigFluffins

Hey everyone,

This is my first post though I have been here for a while and appreciate the knowledge shared. I've done a bunch of research, reading on the forum and have (I think) boiled down my issue to the speed sensor.

One day the TCS light came on while cruising down the highway and I noticed the front right wheel started to drag. Turning off the car and turning it back on would turn the TCS on and the light would turn off. Eventually, it would come back on and I would intermittently feel the front right start to drag. When getting off the highway, I made a left turn and the ABS really kicked it. It freaked me out. At that point I just turned it off and continued the drive.

Reading on the forums, I see it's a common issue but I never received an ABS dash light; just the TCS. At this point in time, the TCS light just stays on. Disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes will correct the problem until I start driving again.

Since I felt the drag in the front right, I'm assuming this is the side that would be the issue. I pulled the wheel today. The tone ring looks fine, though a little dirty, but it is intact. Inspecting the wiring on the sensor, it looked fine, but I did not test it with meter.

I'm just curious if the fine folks of this forum feel like I am correct in it being the right front, since that is where I felt the drag? No ABS light is throwing me for a loop based on what I've read. I checked fuses for ABS system and steering location sensor and all are fine. I don't have a ton of money so I'm trying to pinpoint as much as possible before going in for the kill.

Oh, and the car is due for Virginia state inspection, but I don't see why they would fail it for a TCS light. Thoughts?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by BigFluffins

Yes, you're probably right that it would be the right front sensor, but scanning the codes would confirm it. If the sensor is still sending a reading but that reading is "off" a bit, it would explain your TCS symptoms but it would only become an ABS issue if you were on the brakes to the point where it thinks the speed difference is too great. If the sensor is reading "fast" - which it would be to explain the TCS issue, then ABS wouldn't take action since ABS looks for a wheel going too "slow".

MY recommendation would be:

1. Take it to Autozone or some other place that can read the codes to confirm

2. Replace right front wheel speed sensor.

Yes, you're probably right that it would be the right front sensor, but scanning the codes would confirm it. If the sensor is still sending a reading but that reading is "off" a bit, it would explain your TCS symptoms but it would only become an ABS issue if you were on the brakes to the point where it thinks the speed difference is too great. If the sensor is reading "fast" - which it would be to explain the TCS issue, then ABS wouldn't take action since ABS looks for a wheel going too "slow".

MY recommendation would be:

1. Take it to Autozone or some other place that can read the codes to confirm

2. Replace right front wheel speed sensor.

Waldo, thank you for the response. Your explanation makes a lot of sense, especially when comparing it to my experience. I'm will replace the sensor and report back on the results.