Rear Wheel Bearing Noise

Was driving last Monday and heard a roaring noise from the left rear wheel area that changed frequency with speed.

Tookit in to currie motors in frankfort Illinois and they replaces the hub and bearing assy.

with only 4400 miles. Sunday it was fine and all the sudden, next day it was noisy.

The service dept. was great. Has anyone else had a bearing problem so soon?

• 2 weeks later...
Was driving last Monday and heard a roaring noise from the left rear wheel area that changed frequency with speed.

Tookit in to currie motors in frankfort Illinois and they replaces the hub and bearing assy.

with only 4400 miles. Sunday it was fine and all the sudden, next day it was noisy.

I did at 7k...dealer states more than likely defective batch of hubs. i am keeping a tight eye on the rest.

Edited by edgeva

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I took my wife's 07 Edge (22K miles) in to my OLD dealer this AM for the howl. The &%#@ service manager said it was 'improperly rotated tires'- and I almost decked him!

I pointed out the TSB # for the rear wheel and again asked that he WRITE IT DOWN and have his guys do an inspection. He was adamant that the tires were at fault. However, there was no cupping or apparent problem with the tires.

He still said they wanted $50 for the rotation, and I pulled out the receipt for a tire rotation 2K miles ago. He then tried to weasle out of this. So I packed it in and will try another dealer.

Anyone having problems with dealers trying to get out of repairing stuff UNDER WARRANTY? Geez, it isn't costing THEM anything for this is it? Don't they get $$ from FORD??

The first time they scam me is the last. I won't be back to theis dealer again and they will get a nastygram from me.

• 1 month later...
I had a noisy rear wheel bearing and hub replaced under warranty @ 14K miles and now have the problem recurring @ 31K.

I have an '07 Edge AWD, which I love. I have had problems with the rear wheel bearings. I had the left rear changed at 12K and now they say I need both rear bearings replaced at 62K. I asked if something was bent. The service writer said they would check. After reading the threads here it sounds as though this problem may systemic. Being out of warranty makes this hard to take.

• 5 weeks later...
I have an '07 Edge AWD, which I love. I have had problems with the rear wheel bearings. I had the left rear changed at 12K and now they say I need both rear bearings replaced at 62K. I asked if something was bent. The service writer said they would check. After reading the threads here it sounds as though this problem may systemic. Being out of warranty makes this hard to take.

Funny how if it's under warranty they'll take their time for days (leaving you without your vehicle) and do the bare minimum of work or effort and try their best to blame it on something they can't fix. BUT, once the warranty is gone, they have all kinds of ideas what the problem is and are willing to bring it in and work on it right now and replace lots of expensive parts....geez

• 3 months later...

Funny how if it's under warranty they'll take their time for days (leaving you without your vehicle) and do the bare minimum of work or effort and try their best to blame it on something they can't fix. BUT, once the warranty is gone, they have all kinds of ideas what the problem is and are willing to bring it in and work on it right now and replace lots of expensive parts....geez

Our 2008 had the rear wheel bearing fail at 35,000. I have an 07 F-150 and the front wheel bearing failed at 40,000. Ford replaced both under warranty but now my F150 is making noise in the rear.

A coworker has an 05 explorer and his front bearing failed at 55,000.

I have no doubt that Ford has faulty bearings. I will be making some serious noise if they ever stop replacing them under warranty.

• 7 months later...

Me too – I started to hear a loud rear end roar. Brought in to the dealer yesterday. Estimate of $600.00 to $700.00 to replace BOTH rear axle bearings. What’s up with this?! I’ve been driving Ford vehicles for over 35 years. I have NEVER had to replace a wheel bearing.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! I bought our '07 Edge FWD in May, and replaced both rear wheel bearing assemblies in July after the right rear started howling on the way home from a road trip. Overall, it's an easy job - I say that because I am an auto tech - but the thing is, even with the lower mileage, the hub corroded itself into the cast iron spindle assembly, so I negotiated it out with an air hammer. Use anti-seize on reassembly and it all goes back together easily. Four T-55 or T-60 torx type bolts hold the bearing assembly on the knuckle. Oh yeah, you'll most likely have to replace the ABS sensors too, as they like to fall apart when you remove them from the bearing. Again, easy fix. I bought two Timken brand wheel bearings and both rear Motorcraft ABS sensors from RockAuto.com and paid around...I think it was $200-$225 shipped. Going into buying the Edge, I knew that they had wheel bearing issues, but not a big deal to replace. I think it's a supplier issue (SKF, I believe? Not FOR SURE) Overall,my wife and I love this car, it rides nice, good power, looks great and tons of room.

Edited by BigDeluxe79

• 3 months later...

Me too – I started to hear a loud rear end roar. Brought in to the dealer yesterday. Estimate of $600.00 to $700.00 to replace BOTH rear axle bearings. What’s up with this?! I’ve been driving Ford vehicles for over 35 years. I have NEVER had to replace a wheel bearing.

The cost for replacing both rear axle bearings was $964 and change!!!! By the way the entire rear brake system has been replaced on this vehicle as well ($690.00). Don't think I mentioned that this is a lease vehicle - Considering the new set of tires that I had to put on this vehicle at around 30,000 miles, I have about $2300.00 into it. No way I can afford to roll this over into a new lease in June - I've already spent my down payment for the new lease on repairs to this one!!! I have been leasing Ford products since 1983 - this is the first time this has happened - maybe I should have stuck with the Explorer!!!

• 3 months later...

The cost for replacing both rear axle bearings was $964 and change!!!! By the way the entire rear brake system has been replaced on this vehicle as well ($690.00). Don't think I mentioned that this is a lease vehicle - Considering the new set of tires that I had to put on this vehicle at around 30,000 miles, I have about $2300.00 into it. No way I can afford to roll this over into a new lease in June - I've already spent my down payment for the new lease on repairs to this one!!! I have been leasing Ford products since 1983 - this is the first time this has happened - maybe I should have stuck with the Explorer!!!

I get a new vehicle every 3 years. I have always had the Explorers. I too went with an Edge in 2009. I was experiencing the roaring noise in the rear end too about 30,000 miles. Ford dealership told me it was my tires. My guess is if it were my tires, the sound would vary from different types of asphalt/pavements. However, the noise remains the same. I am now at 55,000 miles and the noise is getting louder and louder. Also, at times I feel a jerking sensation coming from the rear. I did purchase the extended warranty and hopefully it's covered. It's just a hassle to take it in and arrange a rental. I will keep you all posted!

The most miles I have ever put on a vehicle is 105,000 miles. They have always been Fords..... I have NEVER had to replace rear axle bearings either!

• 2 weeks later...

My 2008 edge 35k would make a very very loud howling noise from the left rear wheel after about 40 miles on the X-way, the rear alloy part of the wheels ( 20") especially the left side would be too hot to touch. Took it in under warranty and they couldn't duplicate the problem, 1500 miles later it started again and it was out of warranty I inspected the wheel and found the outside original fomoco brake pad "frozen" in the caliper assembly, the rounded edge was worn in at about at about a 15 degree angle same thing on the right. I had to hit them with a hammer to get them out of the stainless steel guides/track. the after market pads fit perfectly, no more howling, no more heat, problem solved. it was the pads being slightly to long/big to properly move as they are meant too. I happen to be on the mechanically inclined side but this problem was a no brainer for a Ford Tech to diagnose and correct.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

2007 Edge AWD and 97K, wife just told me about the growling after 3 weeks of driving. Awesome, maybe could have mentioned it 3 weeks ago. I found the TSB files on replacing BOTH 10-2-9 which needs the Trailing Arm, Trailing Arm Knuckle and the Hub Assembly.

Mines out of warranty anyway, but with these reports I can go shop it around to different places and see what this will cost damage-wise. I guess the important part is not having the Hub Assembly replaced only, the knuckle or link arms need to be done as well as the bearings.

I found JPGs of what another member posted here: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/6823-can-someone-post-tsb-10-2-9/

They are towards the bottom of the page.

• 3 years later...

Ladies and gentlemen, my high recommendation to get it replaced at Ford dealership. I have three mechanics and none of them knew what the heck is going on with this. $400 including parts and labor at Ford. It's not worth saving $100 at a private mechanic. Ford has changed it so many times, they know what's going on. I changed it at 60,000 miles, but should've changed it at 55,000 miles.

I changed the rear left and it drives as smooth (of course no noise) as an electric train. Bad bearing were so bad that it felt like a chopper was hovering on top of you! This is a Ford Edge problem for sure and it's super common but leaving it will not solve the problem. Another problem is the rear turn signal or brake bulbs! I've changed over 8 in 2.5 years! Next time will try an expensive brand. Moisture entering the rear lights is the problem. First Ford I bought and will never buy again.

Also, the oil change at Ford is worth it. Just keep changing at 3,000 - 3,500 miles. I don't trust the 5,000 - 7,000 miles suggestions. Thoughts?

The 2007 through 2008-2009 had some issues with wheel bearings. My 2011 has 134,000 on the original wheel bearings so i guess Ford figured it out. Oil changes: I change my oil every month and the 2008 I retired had 285,000 miles on it and the engine was showing no wear. Even posted the oil analysis on my youtube channel changing the oil about every 5-6k miles. You do have to spend money to maintain a machine if not you will never like it. Just the way it is.

• Like 1