Edge shifts really hard into reverse after driving.

munoz2105

So my 2008 FWD Edge shifts really hard into reverse from drive. In all gears it shifts fine only after driving and the shifting to reverse this happens. I right after I shift to drive and back to reverse without moving the car problem wont replicate. I have already replaced all 3 motor and transmission mounts, and it didnt help at all. I heard about the oss and tss sensors but I am not getting the symptoms that a bad oss and tss sensors produce. any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you all

Welcome! Do you mean it is hard to move the shift lever, or that you actually feel the Edge react harshly to the gear change? FSM refers to a direct clutch related issue, meaning incorrect solenoid body calibration, or problems with the clutch plates, solenoid body, valve, or piston return spring, etc. Aside from the calibration, the fix would be somewhat involved mechanically. Are you on a hill when you shift to R, or does it not matter. Do you use the emergency brake when you park?

How many miles do you have on your transmission and when was the last time the fluid was changed? First thing I would suggest is a 3x drain & fill (NO flush) to see if the issue eases with time. Check the first drain, hopefully a) the fluid is not burnt, and B) there are no particulates/debris in it (use paper towel/blotting paper/coffee filter to check). If it decreases and stabilizes, then do another 3x D&F. If it still does not go away completely, move up to a quality full synthetic fluid like Amsoil Signature Series.

The more expensive and direct option is to have a trans shop tear it down/rebuild it.

• 4 weeks later...

Any fluid that has over 80K on it and never been replaced need to be removed and replaced with new fluid. The better choice is to do this about every 40-50K miles under normal driving conditions Every 30K in severe driving conditions. I have found fluid replacement tends to make the shifting more precise.

• Like 2