Fan problems after AC drain blockage

d9000

I recently had a problem with my AC drain being blocked, as described in this thread:

Hissing noise when AC is on and I'm turning left?

I found the AC drain, successfully unblocked it, and have no more whooshing sounds or wet passenger floors when turning left.

However, the water seems to have damaged my fan control system. After the car has been off for several hours, the fans will spin for about 3-4 minutes, then gradually stop. I can't get them to come back on again until the car is stopped again for several hours.

When they're working, they seem to respond correctly to the speed settings (1-4). This problem occurs whether I have the car in AC mode, Max AC, heater, defrost mode, etc.

I was thinking the sloshing water may have damaged the resistor pack, but I wanted to check for other opinions before trying to replace it - thanks.

• 1 year later...

I've had exactly same drain block and now malfunctioning fan however have auto temp control.The motor only runs intermittent sometimes very slow or high or not at all. Suspect resister. Would like to test it but don't know how. Don't know to buy resister or motor.

FWIW, my problem ended up being the motor itself. Everything worked perfectly after replacing it. I ordered this part from Amazon for my 2008 Edge:

TYC 700203 Ford/Lincoln Replacement Blower Assembly

It was a pretty easy fix. You need to remove the glove compartment door, then it was just three screws and a wire harness if I remember correctly. There should be instructions on YouTube.

• Like 1

I've had exactly same drain block and now malfunctioning fan however have auto temp control.The motor only runs intermittent sometimes very slow or high or not at all. Suspect resister. Would like to test it but don't know how. Don't know to buy resister or motor.

Need a new blower motor. You can probably get an aftermarket unit for around ~$40 or Motorcraft for around $~80.

There's no resister pack with the auto temp, only used with manual speed control. Auto speed uses a control module that functions like a resistor pack.

• Like 2