Accel Coils???

MikeKiloXrayOhNiner

Two "nays"... Any "ayes" out there? Lol

Have you guys used them? Is there a bunch of bad feedback out there somewhere that I haven't seen or is this all personal experience? I haven't found any other threads on here that really discuss these things. So I'm curious to see if anyone is trying these or has tried these. Not that this part is even that relevant in the big picture.. I figured that aftermarket coils have been a source of controversy in other aftermarkets for a long time so I'd stir the pot a little on it here. Coming from the Powerstroke world and the mustang world before that, I understand that OEM parts are necessary in some applications and there's room for improvement in others. Looking for some real world experiences, success stories, failures, etc.. If these are crap, please tell me why.

Okay - here is an Accel coil story for you.

We bought an 01 Escape that had all 6 COPs replaced with Accels. It was missing quite a bit and throwing CEL codes - so we took it in to the dealership and let them smooth out the idle with a new set of plugs - but 8 months later the missing is back. I think it is probably one or more of those COPs going bad. I'm going to have to replace the COPs and when I do - I'm going to be purchasing the OEM parts. At least those will come with a 24 month unlimited mileage warranty.

My next complaint isn't coil related - but it has to do with the amount of crap that has to come off the engine in order to get to the back 3 COPs. I may just end up farming it out - rather than try cobbling it together myself.

Thanks for the story! I'm assuming that since it was an 01, it was likely due for some new parts! Did you realize any benefits at all over those 8 months without a miss on the Accels? Could there have been another cause for the miss, or are you sure it was the coils? My thought was that if I did do this, I'd do plugs and coils at the same time. Definitely a PITA having to take the intake manifold off to get to the 3 on the back side. Only want to have to do it once if I can help it. I agree that for long term reliability, OEM is the way to go 9 out of ten times. However, my thought was that if Accels are as good as or better than OEM somehow, it may be worth rolling dice and giving them a shot if there are any performance benefits at all. Here's the thing... The idea is to eventually add a custom tune so my timing is going to be adjusted a little at some point. If these work better than stock on the stock tune, perhaps they'll compliment the tune as well and provide additional benefit. I would tend to believe that this is what aftermarket coils are really intended for. The real benefits of aftermarket bolt-on performance parts typically aren't realized to their full potential or maybe at all without a custom tune to help everything work together efficiently.

Yeah - it was - and probably is due for a few parts - don't get me started on the AC system - eesh!

I'm not entirely certain it is the coils - but I am suspecting this is the case since the entire plug set only has a couple thousand miles on it - and the dealership we worked with worked pretty hard at troubleshooting out the missing before. RIGHT away they pointed to the aftermarket COPs - which I acknowledged may be part of the problem. I suspect they give everyone the brow-beat treatment when they come in with aftermarket parts, being an OEM shop. To be fair the thing probably DOES need a good induction cleaning, but in most other mechanical respects it is a vehicle in good working order.

From what I see Accel - and other aftermarket COPs that I have looked at have one advantage over Motorcraft parts - price.

• Like 1