Test Drives - Round 2

Well, my 2005 Chevy Equinox POS just had the carrier bearing go and the rear driveshaft (I think, I'm not awake yet). My extended warranty (thank you CarChex) will cover all but $224 of the $1200, and lasts through Dec. of this year. I think I paid $2300 for the 5-year warranty. Have spent $4,000 in repairs since then (that were covered, not counting tires and things like that). So I'm now wanting to get something before the warranty expires (so probably Nov. just because that's supposedly the best time for deals Nov-Feb).

My 3 finalists:

2016 Ford Edge Titanium AWD Turbo with 302A, cold weather package, adaptive steering and 19" tires

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0 AWD Turbo w/Ultimate package

2016 Kia Sorento SXL Turbo AWD w/tech package or possibly the 2017 SXL v6 (not keen on the crappy 17 mpg and the $1800 cost difference between turbo, but we'll see).

I finally found a Ford dealer with the 2016 Titanium AWD Turbo w/302A and 19" rims (didn't have the adaptive steering or cold weather package, but for a test drive I don't care). I had originally test drove the 2015 Ford Edge SEL AWD w/turbo and 18" rims.

Now, the FIRST time I test drove I had my Android phone with a sound meter app, but nothing for the bumpiness (basically you rely on the accelerometer to sorta report back the g-forces). Unfortunately I didn't have the accelerometer app at the time, and since then I've switch to an iPhone. I'm using the SPLnFFT app (supposedly one of the more accurate apps). Although I haven't calibrated it, but it seems to be within 2db of the Android phone which was calibrated. Used the Android phone for the accelerometer this time.

I drove the same route from my house to work and took measurements.

MY car:

highest db: 98

Average: 73 db

2016 Ford:

highest db: 83

average: 62 db

I'll have to dig up the g-force readings for mine

2016 Ford g-force:

highest = 1.27

lowest = 0.77

I will say that from memory (not objective) the 19" wheels Do make for a rougher ride vs. the SEL. I'm not sure if it's any worse than mine or just different. Have to dig up my screenshots from the Equinox to see more "objectively". Ironically I thought the Ford was a little louder this time around, but soon realized it's because it's so quiet, I can actually hear passing cars. My car has so much tire and engine noise it drowns out everything else. PLUS I had the AC on in the Ford and mine was off in my Equinox when I did the recordings. But it was too hot in the Ford to not run the AC.

I really liked the 302A package. The shifter knob was NOT in the way of the buttons (unlike the 2015 Murano I had looked at).

My only negative that really bothered me:

The non-cooling seat backs. My ass froze off quite nicely but my back sweated all over the back seat of the car. I was really hoping it was a "hit or miss" and that the vehicle would actually cool the back, but not at all. this is a pretty serious negative in my book. I don't know if the TSB that doesn't really work had been applied to the unit I test drove.

My main point in this test drive was to get the sound/comfort levels recorded. I did not play with the head unit much or anything else like that.

I'll update more when I test drive the Hyundai and the Kia.

All 3 vehicles fully loaded are within about 3k MSRP I believe of each other. I think 42k for the Hyundai, 45k for the Ford, 46.5k for the 2017 Kia v6.

I've got my spreadsheet with my "must have's" and "wants". Haven't scored/ranked the wants yet. For example, even though I've not tested it, the Adaptive Steering and self-parking are desirable. On the other hand, the Ford has DRL but no Fogs. The Kia has Fogs, but no DRL, and both Hyundai/Kia have the arround-view camera and AA/Carplay today and 10-year warranty. Hyundai/Ford have ability for smartphone remote start. Kia does not (without aftermarket installations). But the Kia/Hyundai also actually cool your back (at least my roomate's Hyundai does).

So we'll see as things progress. Odds are though by the time Nov. rolls around I won't be able to get the 2016 I want, and will have to custom-order a 2017, but not terribly keen on that if it's only been out 2 months (who knows what new things might not work). But maybe they'll have fixed the seat cooling. Plus the QA issues kinda bother me (doors/paint/trim problems I've seen reported here--just reminds me of all my 2005 Chevy problems and that turned out crappy).

It's still on my short list though. I have looked (and ruled out):

Chevy (sorry, never again, Chevy screwed me twice over with this car)

Subaru (no heated steering wheel on Forester or Outback--plus WAY too loud for the CVT)

Nissan Murano (NO smartphone integration at all unless you only use Google Search--although it had the sleekest interior, IMO, and the v6 CVT was smooth/quiet, and had excellent gas milease, albeit 6" longer than I really wanted).

Toyota Highlander (the only way to get heated steering wheel and heated seats is to go to the highest trim level, which forces you to have the 2nd row Captains chairs that only seats 2, AND you must take the third row seat that only very small children can fit into).

Lexus (55k just to get heated steering wheel?--no thanks).

I refused to go larger/smaller (ie, Mazda CX5 too small and CX9 too big). Same reason I don't want the Escape or the Explorer (too small/too big).

Have you considered looking at a MKX? Ours was a FWD Reserve fairly loaded - price after rebates was $48K. It's even quieter than the Edge (active noise cancellation) and has a better stereo options and more comfy seats (even without the 22-way adjustables). That includes the 360 degree camera which is great and sync connect for remote start, vehicle finder, etc.

Have you considered looking at a MKX? Ours was a FWD Reserve fairly loaded - price after rebates was $48K. It's even quieter than the Edge (active noise cancellation) and has a better stereo options and more comfy seats (even without the 22-way adjustables). That includes the 360 degree camera which is great and sync connect for remote start, vehicle finder, etc.

I briefly glanced at the website. I could've been looking wrong, but it looks like only 2 engines to choose from, both V6 and both get a crummy (IMO) 17mpg (although same as Sorento 2017). My roomates sister just got a 2016 MKX, but I didn't drive it around. I couldn't tell from the website, but it mentioned nothing about Sync3, although hers sure sounded like a Sync-based system, but not sure if it was MFT or Sync3.

However, I will keep it in mind and possibly do more research.

OK, so the Kia dealership I like (there's another i don't care for) doesn't have the 2017 Sorento SXL v6 (just the SX). So they'll call me when those are in (it did just come out in like May). The Hyundai dealership had the AWD 2.0 Turbo but not with the tech package (which is fine). Unfortunately the sales guy was a motor-mouth and it screwed up the sound meter (there's no way 99db in that car, mine is like 97 peak db). So I'll have to re-test drive again in a few weeks.

However, the comfort actually seemed better than the Ford. I'm not sure why, but the g-force meter actually indicated that as well. Peak 1.11 g and .89 for the low.

As for the ventilated front seats. OK, not quite apples to apples. It wasn't as hot that day (as it was when I did the Ford), and, when I test drove the Ford, I'd also put the AC mode in foot/face hoping it would suck up the cold air on the floor and pump it into the back. All that did was freeze my ass off while I sweated all over the back where it felt like no airflow was coming out at all.

On the Hyundai I had face only on for AC. Seat did not cool near as well as the Ford, but the back part felt some coolness. It wasn't as much as the butt, but it had something.

So I think in 3 weeks when I get back from a brief vacation, I'll do another test drive of both the Ford and the Hyundai (assuming the Ford dealership still has the sole Titanium with Turbo and 19" wheels). I have a feeling the Sync3 system is far better than the Hyundai but I have not played with either. I'm *hoping* that when Carplay comes out, someone can fill me on on how the Sync3 works. I was hoping all I'd have to do is press a button on the steering wheel and could have Sync3 or Carplay do whatever I wanted. I believe, on the Hyundai, you can only use voice for Carplay/Siri (or AA since it also has AA) but you CANNOT (I could be wrong) voice control anything else. I don't know if Sync3 can do that (will have to check the Sync3 forums or play).

I think right now, as much as I would like the Kia, the fact that the V6 is my only choice in the 2017 model year, I'm going (again, just a guess so far) have to decide between Ford/Hyundai. Both have pros/cons so far. Fortunately I still have time for November.

Thanks for letting me blab.

:)

1. Ironically I thought the Ford was a little louder this time around, but soon realized it's because it's so quiet, I can actually hear passing cars.
  2. I've got my spreadsheet with my "must have's" and "wants". Haven't scored/ranked the wants yet. For example, even though I've not tested it, the Adaptive Steering and self-parking are desirable.
  3. Hyundai/Ford have ability for smartphone remote start. Kia does not (without aftermarket installations).
  4. and will have to custom-order a 2017, but not terribly keen on that if it's only been out 2 months (who knows what new things might not work).

i just traded my '09 limited AWD 3.5l for a '16 titanium AWD 3.5l and so far have found the new one to be fantastic. I didn't look at the kia or hyundai though so i can not compare.

i believe the '16 has acoustic glass on the windshield and side windows. and IIRC, it has active noise cancellation as well. I find my new one to be extremely quiet but have noticed that the hankooks that came on the standard 19" wheels are noisy as heck at 100kph. i will change those next spring.

the test model i drove had adaptive steering and it was nice although i wouldn't spend any money on it. it's one of those things that's "different" when you first drive it but then it doesn't really matter. i didn't get it because it was only available as part of a package of things i didn't want.

self parking and all the bells and whistles is another thing that i don't "need." i have been driving a friend's range rover with the self parking and i find that i can park better and faster than it can. it will reject spaces that i have no problem getting in to.

i believe that remote start is standard, at least on the titanium and sport, since my car has it. it's on the key.

and finally, the '17 probably won't have any major changes so i would guess that it's unlikely to have any new problems.