Brake Squeal After Releasing Brake Pedal

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum, so pardon me if this has been addressed elsewhere. I recently had my neighbor help me change out my brake pads and rotors (he is mechanically inclined and I am not so much). I purchased 4 new rotors and Wearever Platinum ceremaic pads for the front and rear. We got the first 3 sets changed without problem, and ran into issues on the last one. On the rear driver side, when we went to put the new pads in, we found that the rubber boot that is connect to the to piston in the caliper assembly was stuck and would not less us compress that piston to make room for the brake pad. The short story is we replaced the caliper assembly and finished putting on the new rotor and pads. This included greasing the pads, bleeding the brake line, and adding additional brake fluid to replace the fluid we lost with the caliper assembly change. All in all, I felt good about the quality of the work my neighbor was able to help me complete. This was about a month ago.

Since then, I've noticed a squeak coming from what I believe is the rear driver side. The squeak occurs after the car starts rolling after being fully stopped. For example, I'll stop at an intersection, and once I release the brake pedal and start rolling, I'll hear a squeaking sound that is rhythmic. The squeak is more frequent as the car starts rolling faster and usually goes away upon reaching 10-15 mph. My brake performance has been good, the pedal is not soft or mushy, and I don't notice any problems accelerating and getting up to speed.

I have two questions:

1) What could be causing this squeak (improperly lubricated pads or calipers, is the brake pad not fully releasing right away, etc.?)

2) Is this a cause for concern and should I have it looked at?

I would really appreciate some feedback from fellow Edge/MKX owners. Thanks in advance for the help!

Welcome, Brett!

Do you know if the new caliper came with the noise dampener? If not, installing that may take care of the squeak.

Otherwise look at the shims, make sure they are properly installed/lubricated. There is also the possibility of a defective pad, much less likely in this case tho since the brake performance is good.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

When you pressed the caliber piston in, were you using either needle nose pliers? or the funky Disk Brake Piston Tool to turn the piston as you pushed inward?

I found that on one rear side the rubber boot, seal around the piston gripped. I was fearful it would tear the rubber in fact. With a little gentleness of working back and forth it let loose and allowed the piston to turn freely.

I still cannot get my mind around how on earth this threaded piston will ever turn much further than what the slots on the back of the pads will allow, once more than nominal pad wear occurs?

Anyone have an answer?

That's bizarre. SO the calliper body bore that receives the piston isn't threaded? Is the piston itself threaded?

Sorry, with questions, as I have never installed this sort of set up on rear brakes before. I'm accustomed to top hat style rotors, with shoes.

I'm guessing this system has something to do with the fact of the emergency brakes are utilizing the calliper piston, correct?

Sorry for jacking the post and back to the original poster.

How many miles has it been since you've installed the brakes? My rear brakes took almost a couple of thousand km's to seat in before I saw "nice" wear on the rotors. They also made , not a squeak, but rather a slight rubbing sound for the first while as I slowly drove down the street. It drove me nuts, but again, things have quieted up. I even once in awhile still have a squeak in the morning after sitting parked over night.

By the way, I've been using FoMoCo parts all around.

I'm not 100% sure how it works but it is the parking brake mechanism which is why it's only on the rear wheels. IIRC the newer Fords with electric parking brakes may no longer use that type of system and you may not need to turn the piston to retract it. But again I'm not 100% sure on that either.