2015 Edge, 3.5L V6, No Tow Pack., Should I add aftermarket cooling?

Hi all,

My apologies if this question has been asked before, I've taken a look through the forum and haven't found the specific info I am looking for. I own a 2015 Edge SEL 3.5L V6 with no tow package. I am wanting to pull a smallish pop-up camper trailer that will weigh about 2000lbs loaded (I won't be travelling with full water tanks). I will be towing about 4-5 times per summer to locations within about 1-3 hours driving range for family camping trips. Other than this, I won't be towing with the vehicle.

I've been reading a ton of contradictory info online, so I emailed a local Ford dealer service department and asked this question. Based on his reply, it sounds like all I need is the tow hitch and wiring and I will be able to tow 3500lbs, which is more than enough (see his email below):

"Hello,

Maximum weight for a class II hitch for a 15 edge with 3.5 ltr engine is 3500lb.

hitch 315.00 plus tax

wiring 95.87 plus tax

receiver 27.00 plus tax

ball 29.00 plus tax

bumper valance 161.63 plus tax

installation 600.00 plus tax"

Those prices are in Canadian dollars. Admittedly, I am not very mechanically savvy. So I wanted to get some advice on how to proceed. I have read on several sites (and the manual) that Edge models without the tow packages are limited to towing 2000lbs. My questions for anyone on here wiser than me are:

1) Can I actually tow 3500lb without adding the additional tow package features (as the above email suggests)?

2) If I am limited to 2000lbs and manage to find a trailer that light, would I still need to consider adding engine modifications to accommodate towing (e.g., upgraded cooling)?

3) Does the quoted cost seem reasonable for the hitch install (I'm hoping to get one that looks decent, but I'm not too picky).

4) If I do need engine upgrades, any idea how much that might cost?

I really wish I looked into towing more when I bought this...

Thanks!

Brian

You can get an aftermarket hitch for $180 online. $600 sounds way high for install. Took me a couple of hours and just hand tools. Wiring would be another hour or so. If you don't want to do it yourself, find a uhaul or other business that will install an aftermarket hitch for you. Should be a lot cheaper. My preference is the hidden hitch - the bar is completely hidden and it doesn't interfere with the liftgate sensor. I can post pictures if you want to see it.

I'm not a towing expert but if your trailer is close to 2000 lbs. I think it would be ok for your use cases without additional upgrades. For more frequent towing or heavier loads I think you would at least need to add a tranny cooler.

• 6 months later...

Could you post a picture of it installed I can't find anything on the hidden hitch for a 2015.

You can get an aftermarket hitch for $180 online. $600 sounds way high for install. Took me a couple of hours and just hand tools. Wiring would be another hour or so. If you don't want to do it yourself, find a uhaul or other business that will install an aftermarket hitch for you. Should be a lot cheaper. My preference is the hidden hitch - the bar is completely hidden and it doesn't interfere with the liftgate sensor. I can post pictures if you want to see it.

I'm not a towing expert but if your trailer is close to 2000 lbs. I think it would be ok for your use cases without additional upgrades. For more frequent towing or heavier loads I think you would at least need to add a tranny cooler.

Edited by Michael Huber