2.7EB Oil Catch Can / LMS Tune

Beezz

Oh believe me when I saw the estimate I choked. I asked if we could use the other kits available but they said they've had problems with them in the past. It does seem like a good kit, the hoses probably will have to be modified and the only parts that are useful are the connectors and cans themselves.

I will ask them

They don't have a kit for the Edge, no one does for the 2.7 Edge. They are super busy, when I first contacted them they were booking into April. Im going to be booked in for May (due to my own schedule)

Awesome! Keep us in the loop. I will touch base with them too, and express some interest.

I have dealt with MANY tuners through the years for various cars and trucks, LMS has impressed me so far.

Edited by Ray Heath Jr
  • Like 1

I made my own like I've done before with all my other turbo'd vehicles; just cut, insert billet can (not plastic, they blow up under boost - don't ask how I know), clamp down and go. This one was $85 on eBay. Never had a CEL come on. Just empty every oil change. I'll post pictures of the install later...

post-41226-0-91343500-1488822336_thumb.jpg

Edited by dustys318
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

UPR Kit is installed. You can essentially buy the f150 kit and there is a few minor changes needed to make it 'fit' on the edge. The mounting for the cans is quite awkward. It'll be a pain to drain them, but since the smaller can is on the front side of the engine it'll be easy to guess when the larger one needs to be drained. LMS had the edge for 5 days to adapt the kit to it. It cost more than I had hoped. Ill post labelled pictures of the install soon. If you want to install it, it should be relatively simple considering you'll have an idea of what goes where.

Also I talked with both managers at my local dealer and they both said that the warranty isn't voided as long as any issues that come up aren't a direct result of the catch can system.

• Like 2

UPR Kit is installed. You can essentially buy the f150 kit and there is a few minor changes needed to make it 'fit' on the edge. The mounting for the cans is quite awkward. It'll be a pain to drain them, but since the smaller can is on the front side of the engine it'll be easy to guess when the larger one needs to be drained. LMS had the edge for 5 days to adapt the kit to it. It cost more than I had hoped. Ill post labelled pictures of the install soon. If you want to install it, it should be relatively simple considering you'll have an idea of what goes where.

Also I talked with both managers at my local dealer and they both said that the warranty isn't voided as long as any issues that come up aren't a direct result of the catch can system.

Looking forward to the pictures and additional detail.

Some labelled pictures (attached). The guide from UPR should also be consulted (I dont have a copy). The engine cover probably wont fit after installing all the hoses. The mounting of the CC's is a bit awkward but thats expected with the limited space. I'll also check which direction the check-valves are in when I get a chance to, but they should be facing away from the CC's on the rear. All in all LMS did a good job.

Guides:

There is videos and forum posts about the UPR kit not working, or not catching anything. I will update at my next oil change in about 2000 km with pictures of what was, or wasn't captured by the kit.

post-42141-0-16703400-1494209425_thumb.jpg

post-42141-0-43990400-1494209431_thumb.jpg

post-42141-0-16457200-1494209438_thumb.jpg

post-42141-0-31822800-1494209452_thumb.jpg

post-42141-0-02639200-1494209465_thumb.jpg

post-42141-0-17969200-1494209475_thumb.jpg

post-42141-0-93815900-1494209481_thumb.jpg

post-42141-0-63876900-1494209486_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beezz
  • Like 2

What was your cost out the door? Hardware and Labor breakdown if possible.

What was your cost out the door? Hardware and Labor breakdown if possible.

The UPR kit was 500 usd, and then labour was about 400 usd. Add shipping, waste fees and 6% sales tax. Total was 1018 USD out the door. Yeah I know the labor cost was high, but nothing I could do after the fact.

If you order the UPR kit and do it yourself you should be able keep it under 600.

• Like 1

The UPR kit was 500 usd, and then labour was about 400 usd. Add shipping, waste fees and 6% sales tax. Total was 1018 USD out the door. Yeah I know the labor cost was high, but nothing I could do after the fact.

If you order the UPR kit and do it yourself you should be able keep it under 600.

Damn that's steep. Thank you for going out on a limb and doing this and sharing the pictures!

• 2 months later...

2000 km on factory tune, both cans were empty. Did an oil change. Put another 7000 km over the last month with the LMS 91 Aggressive tune. I'm going to change the oil soon and check the cans out again. If they are empty, ill add in stainless steel wool and see if that helps catch stuff over 500 km.

• Like 1

Just concerned that some wool might get sucked into the engine, so i'll have to find something that doesnt come apart. I think I did pull a hose off the intercooler a long time ago, and it dripped a bit of oil. Ill pull it when I get chance.

The RXP one does look like a good kit, and is actually affordable. Just to note they block off the front side vent with a cap and re route that line. Not sure if this is good or bad for the engine.

I made my own like I've done before with all my other turbo'd vehicles; just cut, insert billet can (not plastic, they blow up under boost - don't ask how I know), clamp down and go. This one was $85 on eBay. Never had a CEL come on. Just empty every oil change. I'll post pictures of the install later...

Are you collecting something in your set up, or is your results much the same as Beezz?

I was keen on getting a catch can on my new Sport from the start, but after reading Beezz report I held off - thanks for all your efforts Beez.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently ran across a detailed description of what was causing the carbon buildup of the backside of the valves.

"One concern thats becoming a problem with all GTDI engines is excessive carbon buildup on the back side of the intake valves. This causes hard-to-diagnose misfires, especially when the engine is cold, and can also create a rough, rolling idle. One reason for this is valve timing.

When the exhaust valve opens on the exhaust stroke under boost conditions, the intake valve opens slightly to allow forced air into the combustion chamber. This push of forced fresh air aids in the evacuation of exhaust from the cylinder. During this overlap, a small amount of combustion gases can sneak past the intake valves, causing carbon buildup on the back side of the valves. The direct fuel injection worsens this condition because fuel isnt sprayed directly onto the intake valve to clean it off; direct injection sprays fuel directly into the combustion chamber.

Another contributor to this issue is the PCV system. Besides the normal crankcase vapors that enter the intake from the PCV system, these vapors can also enter the intake from the turbocharger. A check valve in the PCV vacuum hose diverts crankcase vapors to the turbochargers low-pressure hose under boost conditions. This prevents the backflow of pressurized intake air through the PCV valve and into the crankcase.

The only sure way to diagnose excessive carbon buildup is to look at the valves with a borescope. So if youre diagnosing a phantom misfire on a GTDI engine, especially if its worse cold and after eliminating the usual suspects, break out the borescope."

• Like 2

12'000 km on the kit now. Both cans had close to nothing in them. All I got was some yellow fluid after wiping the lines, fittings, and the inner can walls. I would suggest avoiding the UPR kit. I added stainless steel wool to both cans and I'll update after 5000 km. If you want something that works better, look at McNally's products.

• Like 1

12'000 km on the kit now. Both cans had close to nothing in them. All I got was some yellow fluid after wiping the lines, fittings, and the inner can walls. I would suggest avoiding the UPR kit. I added stainless steel wool to both cans and I'll update after 5000 km. If you want something that works better, look at McNally's products.

Sorry to hear that your costly project didn't work out, and thanks for keeping us all posted and informed.

Could it be that Ford have found a way to reduce the oil deposits in the intake manifolds, or UPR have screwed up?

How confident are you that the McNally kit will work?

My teamrxp catch can in my 2.0 edge & my james barone catch can on my cx7 barely catches anything during the summer months where it's frequently above 60 degrees, all day every day. I find a lot more in my Catch Cans when the temp is below 40 degrees.

I haven't checked my Edge's can in a couple thousand of miles so it may be worth a check. The last few times i checked, happened to be after long road trips & a few drops came out each time.

Maybe it's something to do with how much boost we use & when we use it? Definitely get more with our daily short drives than our longer vacation trips

Sorry to hear that your costly project didn't work out, and thanks for keeping us all posted and informed.

Could it be that Ford have found a way to reduce the oil deposits in the intake manifolds, or UPR have screwed up?

How confident are you that the McNally kit will work?

I cant say anything about Ford being able to reduce the blowby. But I did read on some other posts where people with other kits have been catching a few ounces of fluid between oil changes. There is videos about people complaining the UPR kit doesn't work on the 2.7EB. And the people who have actually been catching fluid have had the McNally kits, so thats what makes me say they are probably better. And they are far more cost effective.

My teamrxp catch can in my 2.0 edge & my james barone catch can on my cx7 barely catches anything during the summer months where it's frequently above 60 degrees, all day every day. I find a lot more in my Catch Cans when the temp is below 40 degrees.

I haven't checked my Edge's can in a couple thousand of miles so it may be worth a check. The last few times i checked, happened to be after long road trips & a few drops came out each time.

Maybe it's something to do with how much boost we use & when we use it? Definitely get more with our daily short drives than our longer vacation trips

Interesting, maybe I'll see different results in the winter. Considering that I'm running a tune, im going to have more boost and probably more blowby as a result. And yeah that makes sense, longer trips you'll be less in the boost than on shorter daily driving.

• 6 months later...

Checked the can after 5000km of winter driving. It had about 350 mL of liquid (more water than oil). So apparently it does work, but not very well in the summer. The front one remained empty, but the main rear can was fairly full. Also removed the stainless wool before the winter.

• 2 months later...

Checked the can after 5000km of winter driving. It had about 350 mL of liquid (more water than oil). So apparently it does work, but not very well in the summer. The front one remained empty, but the main rear can was fairly full. Also removed the stainless wool before the winter.

The water isn't going to have a detrimental effect, possible have a cleaning/decoking effect.

I wonder if Ford has started incorporating some kind of separator inside the camshaft covers, leading to less oil being passed to the intake.

Interested to hear from those with high mileage if they've had any issues with carbon build-up on the valves and if anyone has actually pulled the intake manifold to view the condition of the valves.

There's been photos posted here of badly fouled intake valves, but it turned out they weren't from a 2.7L EB engine.

The fouling is a gradual problem in Ford's case, and has been touted as the least severe of any of the auto mfrs worldwide. Also, depending on platform, the problem may be statistically minimal. In the case of the F150, the catch can setup is highly recommended. Whereas in the case of the SHO, very very few cases of a catch can being needed have emerged, especially since the valve cover redesign in 2013. Best way to know if you have an issue with your vehicle is to periodically inspect the turbo piping and the intercooler for pooling oil. A misting is normal, pooling is not.

Is it possible that the 2.7L EB has this - it would eliminate the need for external separators (catch cans).