PTU discontinued by Ford

JohnCT

None of those vehicles, engines or transmissions are currently in production. There are some problems (water pump on the 3.5, tss/oss sensors on the 6F50 trans, PTUs) but nothing like those older problems and I don't think current Jeeps are that much better.

But I guess the grass is always greener....

Well you can't say he didn't give Ford a chance. I personally would have never even considered owning any of those cars. I think all manufacturers learn from their mistakes and redesign things to make them better. Hopefully they made my 2016 with a better PTU and water pump then a 2010. Jeep isn't even on my list of possible cars to buy. But I have some friends that have mega miles on theirs. But they weren't trouble free either. I'm on my seventh Ford and haven't had a single issue I'd really complain about. But I get rid of them around 130 to 150 k miles.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Don't know yet, not enough miles to have an objective evaluation.  But a few units here and there have failed early on, I suppose it is bound to happen.  BUT they have increased fluid capacities in the Gen 2+ PTUs, so that should help significantly over time.  Plus the Gen 2+ PTUs all have drain plugs, silently added by Ford.  So maintenance is still required, but should be able to get a lot better life out of them now than ever before.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

BUT they have increased fluid capacities in the Gen 2+ PTUs, so that should help significantly over time

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info, just checked the owners manuals of the 2011 & 2016 the fluid capacity doubled, from 0.35 ml to 0.7 ml. 

• Like 2

On 7/23/2017 at 10:04 AM, macbwt said:

They even refill the PTU through the drain plug by using a syringe.

On 7/29/2017 at 1:24 PM, enigma-2 said:

Let's see now, the drain plug is located on the bottom of the PTU, the syringe squirts the lube up into the unit, what keeps it in before you close the drain plug?

It's been a while, but I'm also intrigued and keen to hear how they accomplish that.

Edited by 1004ron

• 4 months later...
On 11/7/2018 at 2:45 PM, 1004ron said:

It's been a while, but I'm also intrigued and keen to hear how they accomplish that.

On 7/29/2017 at 1:24 PM, enigma-2 said:

Let's see now, the drain plug is located on the bottom of the PTU, the syringe squirts the lube up into the unit, what keeps it in before you close the drain plug?

Saw this done to an Audi AWD on the Wheeler Dealers show with the car up on a lift.

What he did was after the fluid was drained completely, pushed the syringe tight up against the drain plug and filled. Holding the syringe tight prevents spillage.

Once filled he held the syringe tight with his right hand and the drain plug in his left. With a smooth motion, holding the drain plug up near the hole/syringe, pulled the syringe out and quickly moved the drain plug into it's place. Then just tightened up the plug.

Edited by flymore
  • Like 1