sarchibald85

You sound like someone more concerned about making $ than safely driving. Then again I believe you're the same person who says PNP LED is even better.

No, I don't make money on conversions - I do them for members of our club (sometimes a case of beer will be payment). That still amounts to over 50 conversions in the past several years. Note that it is a safety club - we provide safety patrol and support for various charity events such as bicycle rides, triathlons and marathons. We would never make changes to our vehicles that we felt were unsafe.

And no, I never said that LEDs are generally better... just that the particular LEDs I installed in my own vehicle are as good as the HIDs as far as light output and pattern and have the advantage of instant on and extremely long life. I have tried them in other vehicles without the same success so the jury is still out on that one.

But you sound like someone who has been reading online lighting forums and is convinced he knows better than everyone else. Not everything is black and white. Just as an example, increased foreground lighting is not such a bad thing for drivers who typically spend their time in city environments and lots of traffic. It is not good out on rural roads because of the affect it has on one's night vision (i.e. foreground brightness tends to open up the pupils) but it is not the overwhelming evil you make it out to be and the majority of people here probably wouldn't even notice.

I'll spare the rods, cones, photoreceptors, photopic response class on nanometer reaction time. But no, my lighting knowledge has not come from a forum. actually have ZERO posts on HIDPLANET and only created an account to get pictures of a 07-10 EDGE retrofit for a member here.

But you just made a whole case for foreground lighting while accurately describing the job of a fog light, not a headlight!

everything above the red line is glare going directly into oncoming traffics eyes. The human eye is most sensitive to blue and violet colors and takes longest to adapt after exposure to them.
Usable light, Bills OEM Halogen bulbs are horrible to begin with so I can't even use that as a good usable light source over HID and can't find my OEM Fusion Halogen Projector pics.

I drive 3 vehicles often, each has 3 different types of bulbs. My two personal cars have Halogen Projectors and HID Projectors. My work truck has OEM LED Projectors.

0564.jpg

Edited by Nick Halstead

That pic you posted in regards to your "glare line" sure does look like the car is on an incline.

While that and your OEM HID picture may be the same driveway, they are by no means the same distance or angle towards the garage.

As Wizard said nobody is arguing that OEM or true HIDs are the route to go if possible and affordable. But, the "evidence" you keep trying to use are different vehicles, aftermarket projectors, pictures in that the angle and distance from an object are different are not going to win many people over.

We get it, you don't like PnP kits!

Also, yes fog lights do light up foreground...guess what? The vehicle this forum is about...DOESNT HAVE THEM! So why wouldn't I want a little more light up front. When I have fogs I don't ever shut them off anyways, no difference to me. But I'll assume your going to tell me I don't know how to use my headlights for admitting that.

The fact of the matter is forums make up a very small number of actual vehicle owners...and for some reason some of those owners feel that if you don't go the most expensive route on every mod you are doing things incorrectly. It's not the case. Plain and simple. Plenty of "cheaper" products work just as well, but the guy who spent quadruple the money is never going to admit that.

I think we found that guy.

That pic you posted in regards to your "glare line" sure does look like the car is on an incline.

While that and your OEM HID picture may be the same driveway, they are by no means the same distance or angle towards the garage.

As Wizard said nobody is arguing that OEM or true HIDs are the route to go if possible and affordable. But, the "evidence" you keep trying to use are different vehicles, aftermarket projectors, pictures in that the angle and distance from an object are different are not going to win many people over.

We get it, you don't like PnP kits!

Also, yes fog lights do light up foreground...guess what? The vehicle this forum is about...DOESNT HAVE THEM! So why wouldn't I want a little more light up front. When I have fogs I don't ever shut them off anyways, no difference to me. But I'll assume your going to tell me I don't know how to use my headlights for admitting that.

The fact of the matter is forums make up a very small number of actual vehicle owners...and for some reason some of those owners feel that if you don't go the most expensive route on every mod you are doing things incorrectly. It's not the case. Plain and simple. Plenty of "cheaper" products work just as well, but the guy who spent quadruple the money is never going to admit that.

Not my pictures, and I so wish Bill would have used a tripod and stayed in same exact location for his tests, but I applaud Bill for doing all this. Think every Edge owner has learned something from Bills MACTFORDEDGE videos.

actually, the vehicle is in the same spots on the HID and OEM HID (dunno about the halogen), thats clear as day as the hotspots are in the same spot on the garage. Incline has zero effect on cutoff as the cutoff shield does not move independently of the vehicle.

Foreground lighting, it's the same as going to the mall and walking around looking directly at your feet the whole time.

Here's a research study on Foreground Lighting, You don't have to read it all, shit majority of it is too much science for me to comprehend. I just ask you read paragraph 5 on page 5 and then the last paragraph on page 14

http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/transportation/TLA/pdf/TLA-2007-01.pdf

the Edge projector is a piece of shit Halogen Projector when used with the bulb it was designed for. I don't comprehend how people would think it would be better by putting a bulb in it that it never had intentions of having.

Why even change your lights? I get it, a retrofit isn't for everyone and those who know me pretty well when it comes to lighting will tell you, I'll recommend HID in Halogen Projectors because people are going to do it anyway, So I'll atleast refer them to a quality kit and not a dollar store xentec kit or DDM kit.

My Edge, personaly...I wish it had Fog lights, I think the stupid signature DRLs are as useful as a throttle body spacer!

We can certainly agree on those couple of things...

Always buy the best lighting you can afford - whether it is a complete HID retrofit or a conversion kit. Most ebay kits, and especially DDM kits, are cheap junk.

The aftermarket DRLs are great as DRLs (the factory accent lights are completely useless) and I got them for that reason, but they serve no other purpose. True fog lights would have been much more useful.

I love being in the middle !!! LOL All I can add is the night driving for me is better. No one flashes me. Will the HID's burn out the reflectors? Time will tell, but for now I am happy with the results. By the way you both have your sides and ultimately this thread does provide information.

Note: I would change to HID light fixtures but for the cost I really like my wifes HID lights, better then mine.