Navigation removed after Sync2-V3.8 update

After updating to Sync2-V3.8 the Navigation system disappeared on Right upper screen and was replaced by the information label. I contacted Ford and after 2 weeks received a call from Zone Representative saying that I would have to take car to the Dealer and have sync system diagnosed and reloaded at my cost. A ford tech that I talked to during my my calls to Ford said it was a know issue with some vehicles.Prior to installing update no warning was displayed on the update page indicating this was a possibility. Ford evidently does not accept any responsibility for the effect created by the update.

Edited by Homer

Well that's a different scenario entirely. Ford is saying it may or may not be a software update problem, so you may have to agree to pay for the diagnosis up front but if it turns out to be the software update then I'm sure they'll cover it under the apim warranty.

It also depends entirely on what the dealership told Ford about the problem. I've seen one dealer be denied and another one get the same problem on the same vehicle covered with no problem.

Did your vehicle come with Navigation from the factory? One of the ways to "hack" install navigation is to use VINs from other vehicles so that it works temporarily, but then when you update the system like you did, the system resets itself and the navigation is gone.

If you haven't owned your vehicle since new, it's possible the previous owner or some dealer along the way installed Nav in a non-legal way.

• Like 1

Not sure but another possiblilty...are there different update versions for a nav and non-nav system? Could you have possibly installed the incorrect version?

I'd double check that and if it happens to be the case I'm guessing if you redid it with the correct nav version it should come back?

I had the same issue as Homer. Called Sync and they said that there was a bug with the latest software update but that they didn't know when they would have a fix. I was told to take it to my dealer. Did that, but they were no help. They tried to tell me that I never had navigation. I had to show them the A5 SD card and they told me that it must have been installed aftermarket. Maybe, but the issue is that with the software update the navigation no longer works and they had no solution.

When I go to the software update screen on the my touch system, there is an icon that states that a navigation software update needs to be installed. When I push the install button the screen goes blank for a second, but then nothing happens. No install happens.

I guess I'll have to continue to call Sync and keep after them for a possible fix!

I had the same issue as Homer. Called Sync and they said that there was a bug with the latest software update but that they didn't know when they would have a fix. I was told to take it to my dealer. Did that, but they were no help. They tried to tell me that I never had navigation. I had to show them the A5 SD card and they told me that it must have been installed aftermarket. Maybe, but the issue is that with the software update the navigation no longer works and they had no solution.

When I go to the software update screen on the my touch system, there is an icon that states that a navigation software update needs to be installed. When I push the install button the screen goes blank for a second, but then nothing happens. No install happens.

I guess I'll have to continue to call Sync and keep after them for a possible fix!

If it didn't come from the factory with NAV you won't get any support from Ford on fixing it. If provide your VIN I can look up whether it came with it and also the reported history of sync updates.

• Like 1

Here is an update to my problem; I took the car to the local dealer who had to reload the sync system. They found no hardware issues, but the software was corrupted. As you remember this only happened after the 3.8 update was installed. In discussions with Ford , not the Dealer, they do not accept any responsibility for this problem saying, "it maybe just a coincidence" and , "the car is out of warranty so its your responsibility". That it occurred during the actual update downloaded, following the exact instructions, from Ford seems logical to me and the service manager. When the update was installed it indicated a successful update. That however was far from the case. The system is functioning fine now after the reload. While the expense was not great, the lack of accepting any responsibility by Ford is!

Thank you all for your responses. Bob Constable I wish you better luck with Ford than I had. By the way as raised in a earlier response this car did come with navigation from the factory.

Software updates are included in 12M02 for 5 years/unlimited mileage. The catch is it has to be an upgrade, not fix a botched update which is complete BS. I know for a fact that some users with OEM NAV have been updated with the non nav package when downloading from the owner site...guess what, nav goes bye bye. Thats a Ford problem, not a user mishap.

• Like 1

Such an easy fix in regards to software. Simply IF Statement. If current system has navigation then don't allow install of version xxxx. Vice versa if you don't have it and try a nav sync version. Lazy programmers :(

I guarantee you that's how it's coded. There is a bug somewhere and it's not working as intended. That's not necessarily lazy.

Yes bugs happen, but a issue like that would get kicked down the first time it was caught and a production fix would be pushed soon there after. That's what has me leaning more towards the functionality is not in place in the software. We will never know whose right until we see the source code :) (good luck getting ford to give you that) haha

I'm also in development. I'm not saying that testing catches all bugs. What I'm saying is if something like that is reported as having happened. I'm sure they have reports that kick back based on service codes from the shops. Aka Sync reload due to wrong update. Or an error code is thrown. They would then see there was in fact a bug. And fixed said issue, since it sounds like that hasn't happened that is what leads me to believe it was left out entirely and would take a bit longer to correct.

That can happen if the team is silo'd and team leads aren't great it's quite easy for stupid things to be forgotten. Great example at my place. Large insurance company. New document claims management software.

poor design and implementation led this certain program to not have a way to handle large files aka accident photos. Guess what happened when they got sent in? It blew up.

All I'm saying is it's a possibility. Neither you or I know what really is the cause it's all speculation. Regardless of length of time in industry

Edited by Tjm623

Hey Everyone!

I certainly understand your frustrations regarding the navigation issue after the V3.8 update was installed. However, the good news is, it can be restored and working properly. It's important to state your thoughts and opinions regarding this issue since your time and concerns are very valuable to us. Please visit http://social.comand make your voice heard.

Cara

Edited by akirby

Possibly perhaps, but unlikely. More likely a glitch when loading the update, a spike in the electrical system at the wrong time, timing error due to an interruption (some electrical load kicking on or off, A/C for example). Impossible to know for sure.

Sucks you had to pay for it though. I had to pay for my last one, really pissed me off, wasn't all that much, just the principal of it.

Edited by enigma-2

This update process has been working properly since 2010 and is still working properly on other vehicles now. They didn't "forget" an if statement.

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say. It may work properly when installed for the correct sync system. But it should not allow you to even begin the install process of a non nav version of sync if you have nav! That is the issue, that is not working properly.

A manufacturer shouldn't be having its customers installing software if there isn't a fail safe in the software than wont allow you to do something that causes you to lose a feature you paid for. this is what I have been trying to convey as the issue.

Two versions (which they have) nav and non nav.

If you try to put the wrong one on it shouldn't even let you begin the install! Not sure why you think this would be considered working correctly?

If you have windows and try to install something for a Mac, does it work? No! It won't install because it was not made for the system you are running.

I know what you're saying and I'm sure Ford could go to those lengths to verify the install, but this has been working for almost 6 years and considering how screwed up MFT was to begin with there were more important things to work on.

It's possible someone simply mislabeled a file or a file got corrupted. Even companies that only do software don't always catch things like that. Ford is a newbie, so cut them some slack.