2011 creaking front suspension?

Getting some creaking up front while braking and turning to the right. This is a 2011 SEL with 70,000 miles. Haven't crawled under there yet but I'm guessing sway bar links or strut mount noise. Anyone have the same thing going on????

Edited by fishx65

Thanks Mac, I'm gonna take a look this week. Might try spraying the crap out of the sway bar links with penetrating lube just to see if the sound goes away. Just watched your sway bar link replacement video and decided that you need to keep a nice pair of mechanics gloves handy. :) Did you end up removing the zerk fittings because of contact issues or did you just leave them in there???

They were tightened some more and have about 1/4 inch clearance and to date have not touched the drive shaft. So a win! I have been working on the glove issue, I like to have some feel for things when I work, but yeah gloves are needed. Looking some thicker Nitrile gloves the thinner ones do not hold up. Maybe 7mm or 9mm not sure. I will test them out and let you know in future videos.

Most likely culprits are strut mount, control arm bushing, and swaybar link. All bushings should be checked thoroughly first. If you find faulty components on one side, do both sides, because the other side won't be far behind.

Ā 

A caliper dust boot is an unusual suspect, but worth checking, if the creak is very "small".

Znow, the caliper dust boot comment gets my attention because I only hear the creaking when braking from a slow role. I assume you're referring to the caliper piston dust boot? Mine were pretty dirty when I did the brakes a few months ago but, after cleaning them up, they did compress without distorting when I turned the piston back in. Also, I would think that bad sway bar links would make a lot of noise when going over speed bumps at slow speeds at various angles. I'm not getting the typical noises I've gotten from previous vehicles with bad sway bar links. This noise sounds like a door closing very slowly that's in desperate need of grease. I started noticing it about a year ago and it's gotten worse lately.

Edited by fishx65

Fishx65. Just kidding with ya but you sure it is not the ole bones creaking? LOL

Znow, the caliper dust boot comment gets my attention because I only hear the creaking when braking from a slow role. I assume you're referring to the caliper piston dust boot? Mine were pretty dirty when I did the brakes a few months ago but, after cleaning them up, they did compress without distorting when I turned the piston back in. Also, I would think that bad sway bar links would make a lot of noise when going over speed bumps at slow speeds at various angles. I'm not getting the typical noises I've gotten from previous vehicles with bad sway bar links. This noise sounds like a door closing very slowly that's in desperate need of grease. I started noticing it about a year ago and it's gotten worse lately.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the $20.00 JPN links in the mail and they look and feel like a quality part. They are very similar in design to the Moogs with the same beefy build. Only had time to install one side so far but it's a pretty easy job if ya have the right tools. My best friend is a Dremel with a cutoff disc!!!!!

Edited by fishx65
  • Like 1

I would try lubing the swaybar bushings see if the noise goes away. It will probably return, since proper greasing of the bushings is usually done with them off the vehicle. I am not sure what the material is on these bushings. If rubber, they say not to grease at all. If polyurethane, there is a special grease for that. A synthetic grease like Super Lube might be best.