Reverse Camera Turns on while driving

Not sure where this should go so I am putting it here. Over the past week our 2015 edge with 11k miles has had the camera turn in while driving. We have even had it give the impression that transmission was shifted when sitting still yet it remained in drive.

Has anyone had this happen???

Is it right after you shift from reverse for a few seconds into drive? There is a feature on my '16 I can shut off through sync 3.

It was super distracting to see behind the vehicle going one way as I'm trying to drive another direction. If you had to brake to pull out of say a driveway it would literally stay on until the wheels had been moving forward for 5 seconds or so

• 5 months later...

Wish we had the option to selectively turn it on while driving. Would be a nice feature to check on the trailer hitch while "On the Road again.... Ain't it great to be ....."

Check out the MyTouch Lockpick: https://www.coastaletech.com/mytouch2.htm. It allows viewing the backup camera at any time as well as navigation inputs while moving.

Yea, I've looked at that "solution" and wasn't convinced it wasn't a dirty hack. (e.i. not a smooth, seamless integration)

I did find this -> What if I .... (DO NOT try this at home)

Now there are things that no sane, rational person would EVER consider doing because it goes against all logic. Unless/until you realize what is really happening in the background and in reality "as far as the car knows"

I linked that video because, I have a hard time believing that there isn't a way to trick the car's system at the appropriate spot to enable the camera. Obviously it can happen because the OP had it happen. I'd like to hear the "fix" for that and if the mechanic could explain WHAT was happening vs "i just replaced module "Y" and it went away." but oh well.

Update: I just looked again as its been a year or more since I first found them .. and see this .... hmm.

Edited by Tacyon

I had one in my Edge and still have one in my Mustang. It merely tricks the system by turning off certain inputs such as speed. For the navigation system, it turns off the input of the vehicle's speed so that the navigation will allow input. The problem is that if you forget to turn it back on, you won't get any directions from your navigation because it doesn't know you're moving (don't ask how many exits I've missed because of that). For the backup camera, it doesn't seem to do anything with the gear input - it simply triggers the rear camera manually. I don't know what it does for video because I would never attempt to watch a video while moving.

Frankly, I don't even remember which button on the steering wheel activates it anymore (I think you hold the phone button for 3 seconds) because it didn't really provide any features that I couldn't live without so I haven't used it in at least a couple of years. I'm really just too lazy to take it out and try to sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

yea - I like the "idea" of being able to monitor the trailer hitch while on the road. Not enough to start tearing into the system to see how I can "trick" it.

I'd suspect that it might be fairly simple and could selectively be triggered by a push button or microswitch on the front center console ... and, not enough to screw with it (yet)