Traction Control Lost Its Mind !!

grantmcf

2016 Edge Sport AWD.

Just 2 minutes after starting, I pulled out into the main road and squeezed the throttle, the engine starts revving up like I'm in neutral and the orange traction control light on the dash starts flashing. I've literally got no drive. Switched the hazards on, limped over to the kerb, engine off, engine on again and away we go. All is good.

Anyone ever experienced this ?

Haven't had that, but have had some very hard shifts where the car almost bucks.

The manual does state that for up to 3k?might be 1, I forget the exact number) miles, you shouldn't pay attention to any whacky tranny issues as its breaking in. not sure if traction control plays a part in transmission though.

I noticed today on wet roads that AWD was kicking in on almost every slow start from a red light, haven't noticed this on dry pavement but also don't normally keep wheel power distribution menu up while driving...I'll test when it's dry again

• 5 months later...

I bought the 4 wheel drive for slick roads, what a waste of money. I got stuck this morning and only the rear wheels would turn, after about 30 minute or more some one came along and helped to get me out. the servce traction control light came on so I went up by the ford dealer . THEY CHECKED IT OUT RESET THE COMPUTER said it should be OK so I left as pulling out of dealer lot there was a car commimg so I stopped, when I went to start up again I was stuck on level ground. Don't buy an edge if you want a car for snow. I know I will never own another one.

Didn't you own an edge in 2012? And it's kinda hard for anyone to help you when you generally don't respond to their comments/questions.

The Edge has AWD, not 4WD, but still should have worked on slick roads. Sometimes it will get all confused because it can't find traction on any wheel, in which case turning off Traction Control is needed. There might be electronic gremlins in your Edge, though, ones the computer does not know what to do with.

Which Ford dealer did you go to? Lithia Ford or somewhere else?

crchet it sounds like there is a problem. I wouldn't say "what a waste of money...don't buy an Edge if want a car for snow" just because something has gone wrong with yours. Take it back to the dealer if you are not satisfied and have them fix it. We get more snow/ice here in Toronto than you do in Idaho, and mine has been running like a champ in all of these conditions.

Do you have winter tires installed?

• Like 3

That could be a result of a faulty wheel sensor, considering the amount of technology that controls our vehicles now. Were you driving straight, or at an angle? An angle on the wheels could have triggered traction control if you accelerated to the point where a wheel lost traction, but power should have kicked right back in once traction was regained. A connector could be loose somewhere, your dealer should be able to determine where the fault is coming from if they can replicate the situation while hooked up with a scan tool.

AWD is active when starting (always), at low speeds, flooring it (up to a point), or when the system recognizes inclement conditions. It shuts off when the pedal input is light to normal, at high speeds, and when the computer thinks you dont need the rear wheels to be powered.

"dont buy it for snow" yet to encounter snow that it can't get through. But, the rear wheels only turning is super strange because this awd system is heavily fwd biased so there is certainly something wrong and your dealer should have done more than just reset the ecu/pcu.

• Like 2